LBs coach

Doug Colman is or was the lead candidate as of last week.

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/colman_doug00.html

I don't think there will be any other announcements unless Watson is hired somewhere else or decides to leave on his own. From what I can gather Bo and Watson had an agreement that they would both do their best to help Wats get a head coaching job somewhere else, but he's not really on a time table. Bo won't fire Wats and the assumption was pretty good (at least before the bowl game) that Wats would have a couple of opportunities come his way. That's the reason Beck did some work with the QB's. It was feared that Wats might not have that "dream job" until after spring and that would kind of leave us screwed at the OC position and the exact direction to go over the summer. I've been told to expect the same working assignments to continue until Wats figures out if he's staying or going.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there will be any other announcements unless Watson is hired somewhere else or decides to leave on his own. From what I can gather Bo and Watson had an agreement that they would both do their best to help Wats get a head coaching job somewhere else, but he's not really on a time table. Bo won't fire Wats and the assumption was pretty good (at least before the bowl game) that Wats would have a couple of opportunities come his way. That's the reason Beck did some work with the QB's. It was feared that Wats might not have that "dream job" until after spring and that would kind of leave us screwed at the OC position and the exact direction to go over the summer. I've been told to expect the same working assignments to continue until Wats figures out if he's staying or going.

I'm not accusing or anything I genuinely asking...is Coleman the lead candidate because he's a Nebraska guy and we assume he's a candidate, or did a credible source actually call him the leading candidate? It just seems people have been throwing that term around a lot lately based on nothing more than past ties, sometimes that aren't even as strong as Coleman to NU

I think Colman has pretty strong ties to the Pelinis. He actually was on the staff as a defensive QA in 2009 and some people seem to be high on his work with our LBs that year, Dillard in particular. I think in one of the first threads on Colman, someone here mentioned that some were disappointed when Colman left at the end of that year, over Ekeler. I am in no way in the loop on this, I didn't even realize Colman was on the staff in '09 until his name came up this time - just reporting what was heard.

Colman coming back to us after getting some quality position coaching experience at Tulane really seems as if it's been in the works for a while, and Ekeler's departure this year created that opportunity maybe sooner than anticipated. I would be excited at this hire, and some guy named Rose ought to be, too ;). I just don't know what anyone is waiting for.

everything i have heard is carl will take over the duties and there will be no new coach

I've read the same rumor about Carl coaching LB's but I wouldn't say no new coach, can't see Bo opting to have a shorthanded staff. I think we'll add an offensive coach and if Wats finds a new job then we'd replace Ek. I think to compensate some we'd need one of the O-coaches(Brown?) to help-out on ST's since JP would have the whole d-line to himself.

I'm not accusing or anything I genuinely asking...is Coleman the lead candidate because he's a Nebraska guy and we assume he's a candidate, or did a credible source actually call him the leading candidate? It just seems people have been throwing that term around a lot lately based on nothing more than past ties, sometimes that aren't even as strong as Coleman to NU

Coleman is a very good coach. He was/is a very serious candidate and Bo has spoken with him. I could also see Bo giving Ross Watson a shot as I think they're pretty impressed with him but he's been with the DB's and the LB coach is a pretty important spot.

I don't know who the hell twisted it around that Carl would be LB coach but that isn't correct. As of yesterday morning if they do in fact not hire a LB coach, we'll still keep two line coaches and Bo will probably coach the LB's. But that's not a forgone conclusion at this point. We'll know more in the near future.

• Fire 1