If Bo doesn't let go of Wats...

Well, loyalty is a double edged sword. Pelini and the Huskers are built on loyalty, but us "fans" want him to go against what he preaches to the kids - to fire Watson. Its a no-win situation for Pelini to fire Watson.

He keeps Watson = He looks incompetent to fan and recruits. Questions come up (does he have the balls to fire him? Is T.O. running the show?, etc)

He fires Watson = He looks like a hypocrite (extremely detrimental to his image among players, recruits and some fans)

There is only one happy ending for everyone involved, and Pelini is doing just that. Stay loyal to Watson until they can find him another job. While I agree Watson, Cotton and Gilmore need to go, it needs to be done the right way. It needs to be done the N way.

Rome wasnt built in a day.

Yes and Yes.

To me, now is the time to make a change, since we are going into a new conference. The schedule is brutal, but I think taking our lumps next year could do wonders for this team. I believe it will make the team stronger by going through a whole season of dissappointment and being average. In the end its about DEVELOPMENT of the players in the system.

I do however think Shawn's leash has gotten a lot shorter. We got a bunch of "studs" coming in this recruiting class. Alot of which have somewhat of personal relationship with Shawn. Bo probably believes that this could have an effect on these recruits. We started to switch to this zone read offense, so maybe this was a reason for our first year struggles. I get the impression that Bo will give his offensive staff the 2011 season to get their crap together. If we have the same struggles this next year as the past 2 years, their will be some major changes on the offensive side of the ball. However, if Bo doesnt do anything(this year or next year) when the offense struggles, he is just as stubborn as Callahan was.

I dont think Loyal has anything to do with it. I believe its cohesiveness and continuity.

The whole nation knows we're done with SW. Where's all those offers from Saban, etc? We can't even give him away to the bottom feeders.

Otoh, wherever he goes, if he's an OC I hope he insists on getting his own staff. He's not stupid, just a bad fit here with trying to run an offense he doesn't know and with position coaches who don't know it either. Even worse, then changing everything annually half way through the season. Disaster.

Our new OC "must" have free reign and authority to assemble his staff. I like Barney but I like NU more. A clean sweep on that side of the ball may be the best thing. It's the OC's call.

I know this is a loaded question but aren’t any of you slightly interested to see if Watson can right the ship? Listen I am not here to argue on why we should keep him. For god’s sake his play calling alone this year has been horrid. But if he does stay what’s to say he can't improve with a healthy and seasoned Martinez and improving Cody Green.

??

I know this is a loaded question but aren’t any of you slightly interested to see if Watson can right the ship? Listen I am not here to argue on why we should keep him. For god’s sake his play calling alone this year has been horrid. But if he does stay what’s to say he can't improve with a healthy and seasoned Martinez and improving Cody Green.

So... you're saying we should keep Watson out of curiosity? That's the last reason we should keep a coach whose unit is sputtering this badly.

It worked out for Charlie McBride. The guy hung around after the late 80s/early 90s when we were routinely getting trounced, and he masterminded some of the most brilliant defenses I've ever witnessed. But just because McBride did it doesn't mean Watson can, or will.

Watson needs to show Bo and the decision-makers that he can get it done. Maybe he has, and maybe we just don't know about it. If he has, and he can, I'm all for keeping the guy.

So... you're saying we should keep Watson out of curiosity? That's the last reason we should keep a coach whose unit is sputtering this badly.

It worked out for Charlie McBride. The guy hung around after the late 80s/early 90s when we were routinely getting trounced, and he masterminded some of the most brilliant defenses I've ever witnessed. But just because McBride did it doesn't mean Watson can, or will.

Watson needs to show Bo and the decision-makers that he can get it done. Maybe he has, and maybe we just don't know about it. If he has, and he can, I'm all for keeping the guy.

We also changed from 5-2 scheme to a 4-3 during the McBride tenure. Him and Osborne both knew that the players were getting faster and that they knew they couldnt keep up. I believe this was after the Citrus Bowl when we played Georgia Tech in 1990, I could be wrong as Im a youngin.

If keeping Watson out of curiosity..... I can see the reasoning behind. Well, since this was the first year with zone read and a RFr QB are the only reasons that anybody has a case for keeping him. I think its been pretty obvious that Martinez doesnt have full grasp of playbook. If Im the betting man, the idea of zone read was because of our move to BigTen next year. We all know the BigTen has a reputation as being a "slow" league. I think Watson has 2011 to prove himself or he is out.

I think the CCG screwed over any chance of getting rid of watson by another team coaxing him.

I guess I just keep coming back to Ganz and what was accomplished with him. But that’s really an apples to oranges thing. Different Offence - Different QB

I guess I just keep coming back to Ganz and what was accomplished with him. But that’s really an apples to oranges thing. Different Offence - Different QB

So... you're saying we should keep Watson out of curiosity? That's the last reason we should keep a coach whose unit is sputtering this badly. No- I didn't mean it to come off like that. It seems to me we are going to be stuck with Watson for at least one more season. If that is the case I was trying to formulate some positive thoughts. Trust me when I say it was hard to do.

I am one of Watson's biggest supporters here but even I think he should go elsewhere. I don't think he is stupid by any stretch, which is how frustrated fans have portrayed him all season. But the bottom line is Bo wants to run a certain system, and it is best for both parties to let someone else be the guy here to do that.

I am surprised/feel bad for Shawn that Miami(OH) didn't work out. I actually thought that would have been a great fit for him.

As far as 'curiosity' goes: that would be the reason to promote Beck to OC and let him give it a shot. I am split on this, but I would not be totally against it, change averse as I am.

I have been assuming Watson is gone for a long time and would be more surprised if he stayed. But all that aside, the real question I am asking is: if Bo doesn't let go of his Taylor fascination, what is going to happen? My gripe about Taylor has little to do with his limited skillset which is mostly completely understandable, and which we should have patience about. It has everything to do with how Bo has handled that situation to the point where you get the feeling it is splitting the team.