If Bo doesn't let go of Wats...

I'm sorry, but thoughts of Watson staying here, is like having to watch the Hindenburg on a loop.

After two years, it's getting to the point where you can almost guess, when he's going to start "sh*tting the bed" during a game. When things are going well, thats his queue to change his play calling to something completely ineffective, that leaves everybody watching the game, thinking "what the f*ck?".

As for Martinez, the first half of last year, when he was one of the most electrifing players in D-1, that was great. But the 2nd half of the season, with injuries, and teams game planning how to stop him, he became more of a problem, than a solution. His decision making and pocket presence needs to increase exponentially, or we'll end up seeing more horrible decision when he's getting pressured.

Due to my location I was just able to watch the Bo Pelini show. The early season highlights at the beginning of the year were awesome. Martinez had serious skills. He was faster, crisper, and did not hesitate with his decisions. Granted those were highlights, but those injuries must have really damaged him. For me because of how good they started made the end of the season that much more disappointing. Lou Holtz said that in order to when a title you have to get lucky. This 2010 team was extremely unlucky. So the only concern I have going into next year is the fumbles. I think this coaching staff can get it done with some luck.

Amazing what a Watson led offense morphs into when playing teams that have athletes and actually PLAY defense. This is a broken record.

As far Taylor is concerned I think it is a MUST that this offseason he

1. Learns to read defenses-had no clue what he was audibling into the majority of the season and couldn't audible pass pro for crap.

2. Learn pass progression and reads-seriously quit locking onto Brandon Kinnie already, the next game is in September Taylor.

3. Get any kind of pocket presence-five seconds is what ya get against a good team if you are lucky, learn it and live it

4, and most IMPORTANTLY do something, anything to show this team you have a pulse, a hint of leadership, and actually care.

Do these things and there is a chance you hold off a frosh(true or redshirted) to start. Yes that is a prediction.

Your points one through three are due to the combination of Tmart being a freshmen and poor qb coaching for this convoluted offense. Point number four is internet garbage and not worth considering.

Where you and others magically think incoming freshmen qbs won't have the same problems is....well.....wishful thinking at best.

A healthy Tmart (under a new OC) will start next year and rip the Big10 to shreds. Yes, that is a prediction.

Valid arguements. But one, Taylor has been here for TWO years and points one through three should have started to become second nature to any kid wanting to play QB at the college level. He has sat through the meetings, the film studies, and practiced so is there really an excuse for that?

Two, yes a part falls onto coaching, but this is the same OC and QB coach that made Joe Ganz damn near a stud his senior year. And at the rate the coaching carosel is moving a new OC might be a pipe dream.

Point 4 is pretty accurate. I have had a friend on the team tell me that the SDSU game was no accident. There were many(OLiinemen) that could care less about the well being of Taylor. Something that I have mentioned before. Also another instance that I have ranted on before was Taylor's demeanor the WHOLE CU game. Sat by the heater didn't move, didn't talk to others, could care less what was goin on in the game. Others on this board saw it as well and were just as upset.

Also sitting on the bench by yourself after getting tossed like a rag doll, possibly because you failed to recognize the defense, without talking to our OLine, backs or anyone is one hell of a sign of leadership as well wouldn't you agree. This happened a lot this year.

And as for the frosh comment. Brion is a redshirt and would be coming into the fall under the same circumstances that Taylor did, and it has been said he is a more pure passer. And Jamal will get winter conditioning, spring ball, and summer workouts in before fall camp, and who knows he may bust his ass and blow the staff away. It has happened before, true freshman can start at the college level contrary to popular belief.

I have had a friend on the team tell me that the SDSU game was no accident. There were many(OLiinemen) that could care less about the well being of Taylor.

This is jacked up on so many levels. I am not debating you on the truth of the statement but the lunacy of the action. Most of these athletes that compete at this level think that they make rain. Why such a harsh judjment on Taylor did he sleep with there girl friends? Suck it up and block and help the kid grow.

Just my opinion

I'm sorry, but thoughts of Watson staying here, is like having to watch the Hindenburg on a loop.

After two years, it's getting to the point where you can almost guess, when he's going to start "sh*tting the bed" during a game. When things are going well, thats his queue to change his play calling to something completely ineffective, that leaves everybody watching the game, thinking "what the f*ck?".

As for Martinez, the first half of last year, when he was one of the most electrifing players in D-1, that was great. But the 2nd half of the season, with injuries, and teams game planning how to stop him, he became more of a problem, than a solution. His decision making and pocket presence needs to increase exponentially, or we'll end up seeing more horrible decision when he's getting pressured.

I know this is a little of topic but- is there a better show then the Venture Bro's? I think not

I know this is a little of topic but- is there a better show then the Venture Bro's? I think not

I concur good sir, I concur...

And I forgot to mention, that I notice that Watson will have a slump, hibernate, what ever you want to call it. Then he has a game like last years Holiday Bowl against 'Zona, where all of a sudden, he's an offensive Houdini. Thats not "shades of brilliance", that is gross inconsistancy.

Taylor was a scout team WR his first year here. Including '09 Holiday Bowl prep. He has really only been a true dedicated QB since this year.

Taylor played WR on scout team but still was here as a QB and attended meetings and position film studies. As well as had position time in practices.

He wasn't just WR all the time either. I remember reading about how good a look the Blackshirts got from him when he modeled Tyrod Taylor before Virginia Tech.

Right - he was also scout team QB, but that is a role where he pretends to be athletic QBs on other teams.

My point is he wasn't really brought along as a QB in this system like say, Carnes has been this year. It is unfair to compare Brion as a RFr compared to Taylor as a RFr in that way, as Brion would have had much more development time by next August than Taylor had this past August. A defense of Taylor for those who say 'He's had all this time as QB, why is he still behind' - he hasn't had all that much time.

Right - he was also scout team QB, but that is a role where he pretends to be athletic QBs on other teams.

My point is he wasn't really brought along as a QB in this system like say, Carnes has been this year. It is unfair to compare Brion as a RFr compared to Taylor as a RFr in that way, as Brion would have had much more development time by next August than Taylor had this past August. A defense of Taylor for those who say 'He's had all this time as QB, why is he still behind' - he hasn't had all that much time.

What has Brion been doing? I'd imagine scout team QB most of the time, but I don't know...

Regardless, he's got to learn to make better decisions under duress. The numerous times of just watching him not throw the ball away when the heat is coming, is just an example of his need to improve his decision making.

Otherwise, will he be better served in a RB/WR capacity, given he can hang on to the ball.

Due to my location I was just able to watch the Bo Pelini show. The early season highlights at the beginning of the year were awesome. Martinez had serious skills. He was faster, crisper, and did not hesitate with his decisions. Granted those were highlights, but those injuries must have really damaged him. For me because of how good they started made the end of the season that much more disappointing. Lou Holtz said that in order to when a title you have to get lucky. This 2010 team was extremely unlucky. So the only concern I have going into next year is the fumbles. I think this coaching staff can get it done with some luck.

Amazing what a Watson led offense morphs into when playing teams that have athletes and actually PLAY defense. This is a broken record.

As far Taylor is concerned I think it is a MUST that this offseason he

1. Learns to read defenses-had no clue what he was audibling into the majority of the season and couldn't audible pass pro for crap.

2. Learn pass progression and reads-seriously quit locking onto Brandon Kinnie already, the next game is in September Taylor.

3. Get any kind of pocket presence-five seconds is what ya get against a good team if you are lucky, learn it and live it

4, and most IMPORTANTLY do something, anything to show this team you have a pulse, a hint of leadership, and actually care.

Do these things and there is a chance you hold off a frosh(true or redshirted) to start. Yes that is a prediction.

Your points one through three are due to the combination of Tmart being a freshmen and poor qb coaching for this convoluted offense. Point number four is internet garbage and not worth considering.

Where you and others magically think incoming freshmen qbs won't have the same problems is....well.....wishful thinking at best.

A healthy Tmart (under a new OC) will start next year and rip the Big10 to shreds. Yes, that is a prediction.

Valid arguements. But one, Taylor has been here for TWO years and points one through three should have started to become second nature to any kid wanting to play QB at the college level. He has sat through the meetings, the film studies, and practiced so is there really an excuse for that?

Two, yes a part falls onto coaching, but this is the same OC and QB coach that made Joe Ganz damn near a stud his senior year. And at the rate the coaching carosel is moving a new OC might be a pipe dream.

Point 4 is pretty accurate. I have had a friend on the team tell me that the SDSU game was no accident. There were many(OLiinemen) that could care less about the well being of Taylor. Something that I have mentioned before. Also another instance that I have ranted on before was Taylor's demeanor the WHOLE CU game. Sat by the heater didn't move, didn't talk to others, could care less what was goin on in the game. Others on this board saw it as well and were just as upset.

Also sitting on the bench by yourself after getting tossed like a rag doll, possibly because you failed to recognize the defense, without talking to our OLine, backs or anyone is one hell of a sign of leadership as well wouldn't you agree. This happened a lot this year.

And as for the frosh comment. Brion is a redshirt and would be coming into the fall under the same circumstances that Taylor did, and it has been said he is a more pure passer. And Jamal will get winter conditioning, spring ball, and summer workouts in before fall camp, and who knows he may bust his ass and blow the staff away. It has happened before, true freshman can start at the college level contrary to popular belief.

Well, I really don't care if Tmart isn't much of a rah-rah guy. Frost/Frazier/Crouch weren't either but they did ok.

I don't want to go completely off topic but Ganz/08's offense wasn't really that good. Especially vs any decent defense (gee, what a surprise). Missou and Oklahoma stuffed us without mercy (yeah, I know.....4 complete garbage TDs vs OU looks good for the stats but....). Ganz had a good senior year. Not great but good. Lots of senior qbs have good years. I don't see how that makes SW a guru qb coach.

Maybe you're right about a new OC. I admit to having nothing but hope for that.

While everybody disses Tmart I'm still on his bandwagon (there's lots of extra room!). Imo the guy is a HUGE playmaker and any decent HC wants those guys on the field with the ball in their hands. When healthy he's real-deal electric. You just can't coach that acceleration and if any offense in the nation needs playmakers, it's us.

We'll see compadre'. If I'm right we're gonna steamroll the Big10 into submission. For the next three years (minimum). If I'm wrong.....heck, I'll just buy ya a beer of your choice.

GBR!!

The biggest problem is.... who we gonna get ?

The best offensive OC in college football in 2010, based on the percentage of total yards and points their units scored or allowed compared to the other teams their opponents played.

OC/TEAM/YPG%/PPG%

Dana Holgorsen/Okla. St./138%/167% Went to HC at WVU

Kevin Wilson/Oklahoma/128%/147% Went to HC at Indiana

Bryan Harsin/Boise St./134%/168% Interest from Texas

David Shaw/Stanford/122%/152% What happens when Jim Harbaugh leaves

Lincoln Riley/E. Carolina/117%/143% Talk is he'll join Leach if he goes to Maryland

These are the candidates we need and as you can see most of them are gone, you have to act fast. So my guess would be Wats is staying.

I am one of Watson's biggest supporters here but even I think he should go elsewhere. I don't think he is stupid by any stretch, which is how frustrated fans have portrayed him all season. But the bottom line is Bo wants to run a certain system, and it is best for both parties to let someone else be the guy here to do that.

I am surprised/feel bad for Shawn that Miami(OH) didn't work out. I actually thought that would have been a great fit for him.

As far as 'curiosity' goes: that would be the reason to promote Beck to OC and let him give it a shot. I am split on this, but I would not be totally against it, change averse as I am.

I have been assuming Watson is gone for a long time and would be more surprised if he stayed. But all that aside, the real question I am asking is: if Bo doesn't let go of his Taylor fascination, what is going to happen? My gripe about Taylor has little to do with his limited skillset which is mostly completely understandable, and which we should have patience about. It has everything to do with how Bo has handled that situation to the point where you get the feeling it is splitting the team.

I don't think a lot of posters will argue with on you this. Watson didn't get here by accident. He just doesn't fit the direction Bo wants to go. Nothing wrong with that.

What pisses me off about the Martin-ez and watson tandum is that watson didn't have 1 other single play besides the zome read (which failed MISERABLY after the mizzou game) which maximized Taylors abilities.

For instance, we didn't roll the pocket EVER this year on pass plays when it is evident Taylor isn't much of a dropback passer.

For instance, we NEVER ran bootlegs, naked or otherwise. How effective would Taylor have been running a stretch-run, play-action type, full flow bootleg with a run/pass option?

For instance, because the offense was limited w Taylor and he wasn't much for audibilizing, and we were snapping the ball regularly with 2 or 3 seconds on the play clock (after te defense had ample time to get set); why didn't we run a more up tempo quick strike, minimal thinking at the line offense?

Once taylor proved ineffective by injury, why not let him take snaps under center and HAND THE f'ing BALL OFF TO TWO AMAZING RBs, one of which is top 5 career ydg?

Watsgrove sucks, and he had no idea how to effectively use Taylor when the sh#t was hitting the fan.

Good post I am I. No way to tell, but I wonder how much the injury actually impacted martinez, vs teams just figuring out it was really easy to stop our zone read, kill the big plays, and effectively shut down our offense. How many times did the "read" end up tackling both Martinez and the RB? It was so slow. Last year during the Baylor game they really started to emphasize controlling he pace of the game offensively. There was regularly 12-15 seconds on the clock when the ball was snapped. It continued like that until the end of the year. We never had that pace this year. Everything seemed lazy and unmotivated. This would have been a PERFECT time to pick up the pace. Most of the calls that came out of the box were the ones ran. Audibles where almost non-existent. There is no reason why we couldn't have been running nearly every place w/ at least 15 seconds left on the clock.

Watson should leave, and I believe he will resign sometime in the next 60 days. I don't think he's a bad OC, but rather he's been saddled with extremely inept position coaches. It's like hiring a writer but instead of giving them a word processor or computer you give them a hammer, chisel, and a slab of stone. If Watson is the only offensive coach gone, it won't matter who's calling the plays next year. I still ask all of you armchair QB's just exactly what plays would you call if your offensive line can't block anyone, your running backs and quarterback fumble nearly four times per game, and your wide receivers can't catch passes?