Not as fun to be a fan?

If Bo Pelini wins football games, he could spin plates for 60 minutes on camera for all I care. Everybody always talks about how dealing with the media comes with the job, but nobody ever talks about the state of our media today. It's (expletive deleted) awful. Exploitative. Hyperbolic. Controversy driven. Half the time reporters deliberately ask instigative questions because they know they'll get exposure and kudos from their bosses when they get a coach to snap angrily or react in some kind of negative manner.

I'll support the idea that coaches owe us fans insight using the conduit of journalism just as soon as that conduit gets all the disgusting garbage cleaned out of it. It's choked atm...so much so that you can't even get through to the other side to revelation or insight. You just get crammed into the middle, wedged up against all the foul smelling trash impeding your passage.

Kinda spun off from the BP Show topic a little bit there, didn't I? As for that show, I actually think Bo really tries to do the best he can. It's just not really his forte, and that isn't his fault. He's much better at being a defensive minded football coach than he is a TV showman. That's probably why he got into coaching instead of the *Pat Sajak School of Hosting. I'm much better at some things than others, too.

*Not real.

This is actually one of the reasons I hate the term 'Fair weather Fan'. I really don't think 'Fair weather Fans' are a prevalent as most do. I believe it is just far easier to cheer/follow a team or group that is doing well. It's fine and dandy to be a die hard, but at some point most things become too much to stand.

Even when Cally was getting his beat down his last year, I couldn't force myself to turn away. I remember people asking me how I could watch it and I told them it was like 'Slowing down for a car wreck'. You knew what you were going to see, but couldn't help but slow up.

I stopped watching years ago but that is because it is low budget and watching NU paid media lob softballs to the coach w/ some video mixed in isn't really that entertaining.

I don't have a problem with Bo's demeanor though.

Did you like it better when they were lobbing softballs to Callahan after his team got smoked and he gave such BS answers?

I guess I think the coaches show has almost nothing to do with football or being a fan. It is a little fluff extra that is kind of cool if you have nothing else to do.

no sh#t!

I find this thread so ass backwards.. This is one of the most exciting times to be a fan ever.. We're joining the Big 10. This is history.. If you don't find anything intriguing or exciting right now than I question your Husker loyalty.. Appreciate what you have. Your a Nebraska fan and our team is back in the mix again.. Right now, thats all you can really ask for..

• Fire 3

I find this thread so ass backwards.. This is one of the most exciting times to be a fan ever.. We're joining the Big 10. This is history.. If you don't find anything intriguing or exciting right now than I question your Husker loyalty.. Appreciate what you have. Your a Nebraska fan and our team is back in the mix again.. Right now, thats all you can really ask for..

:thumbs

I respectfully disagree with you questioning my loyalty.....I wasn't stating that I did stop watching, listening, reading everything...mainly the NFS. I'm just stating that it's not quite as enjoyable with having to listen to the groans of the head coach.

For the record - I'm stoked for next season and the future.

Bo has a lot in common with the hood wearing defensive matermind from New England. Dead pan. No comment. Hates the media. Blah, blah, blah. Hey, at least the media is allowed access to the Nebraska assistant coaches, which BB does not allow. And at least Bo shows passion, which BB doesn't. But, at the end of the day, we didn't get involved watching the Huskers because the head coach was some kind of grand master media spinster guy. T.O. was about as dead pan as they come. We watched because the team was fun to watch. We won games. Right now, everyone is all disaffected for two main reasons....we are not scoring on a consistent basis and we had a rough end to the season with three losses in four games. Make NO mistake...if the Huskers went on some amazing win streak and sprinted away with a crystal ball in their grasp...this all goes away.

Coaches have been drilled into saying the same crap day in and day out to the media. Sometimes during the game breakdowns Bo will have interesting things to say about what went wrong or right on specific plays but the pressers don't afford coaches the time to really give complete answers to questions that are usually nonspecific to begin with. Not entertaining rumors and innuendo is a policy I happen to agree with too because once you start down that road that's all you'll be doing and those sorts of things tend to feed themselves. It's obvious that the PR side of coaching is not something Bo enjoys very much.

About Bo's relationship with the media...it's not like TO was that great either. He mostly smiled and said let's go get 'em and stuff like that. Completely different story in sit down interviews though when the intellectual TO came out and had time to give complete answers in regards to past events he could be candid about.

Coaches have been drilled into saying the same crap day in and day out to the media. Sometimes during the game breakdowns Bo will have interesting things to say about what went wrong or right on specific plays but the pressers don't afford coaches the time to really give complete answers to questions that are usually nonspecific to begin with. Not entertaining rumors and innuendo is a policy I happen to agree with too because once you start down that road that's all you'll be doing and those sorts of things tend to feed themselves. It's obvious that the PR side of coaching is not something Bo enjoys very much.

About Bo's relationship with the media...it's not like TO was that great either. He mostly smiled and said let's go get 'em and stuff like that. Completely different story in sit down interviews though when the intellectual TO came out and had time to give complete answers in regards to past events he could be candid about.

That, and because a lot of the time if Bo actually said exactly what was on his mind he would probably get called on the carpet or fired. I suspect Bo views the media with suspicion--that they only want to sell newspapers and generate controversy. And he's probably right.

I've steered clear from sunshine news articles for a while and never got into the Bo P show (or Bill C show either) - just didn't have time for it. I used to read the articles, but message boards are more interesting and frankly...more informative. The games are the main thing.

I understand Bo doesn't have a lot of interest in this stuff and half asses it as a result, which is a problem - just not for me. Never have been interested in this kind of thing anyway. If something is news I'll hear about it being discussed later.

But I'll say this though, this past season was a lot less fun to follow than any others, just because of the drama.

I've steered clear from sunshine news articles for a while and never got into the Bo P show (or Bill C show either) - just didn't have time for it. I used to read the articles, but message boards are more interesting and frankly...more informative. The games are the main thing.

I understand Bo doesn't have a lot of interest in this stuff and half asses it as a result, which is a problem - just not for me. Never have been interested in this kind of thing anyway. If something is news I'll hear about it being discussed later.

But I'll say this though, this past season was a lot less fun to follow than any others, just because of the drama.

Maybe that is the whole issue....the drama. Both from Bo's frustration and my own.

RE: Post above you - this is a good point. When Bo sits down for an interview he accepts out of the norm...it is quite insightful.....

I guess I'll pin myself to the crybaby response... :)

I too find the internet to be 1,000 more informative and entertaining than the LJS/OWH ever is or was. It's not close at all.

I honestly couldn't care less if he doesn't like the mainstream media as I don't either. There's LOTS of posters here on Huskerboard, HI, Scout & Pedia that are more informed and better reads than Barfknecht and so on imo.

Besides, watching TO on those shows was as exciting as watching grass grow. I don't miss watching them at all. Just win, Bo.....don't let the ankle biters bother you.

There's LOTS of posters here on Huskerboard, HI, Scout & Pedia that are more informed and better reads than Barfknecht and so on imo.

I don't know about that. There's a difference between what the local journalists know and what they'll publish. I've talked to several writers from the LJS and OWH about stuff. They know what's going on. They just don't write stories about all of it.

There's LOTS of posters here on Huskerboard, HI, Scout & Pedia that are more informed and better reads than Barfknecht and so on imo.

I don't know about that. There's a difference between what the local journalists know and what they'll publish. I've talked to several writers from the LJS and OWH about stuff. They know what's going on. They just don't write stories about all of it.

That very well may be true but if they don't write about it what good are they?

That very well may be true but if they don't write about it what good are they?

Bingo.