Not as fun to be a fan?

For the first time EVER, this past mid-season I completely withdrew from either:

a) Searching out and NOT missing the Nebraska Football show under any circumstance

or

B) DVRing the Nebraska Football show in case “a” didn’t happen

I don’t know if it’s just the way Pelini is or if he just flat out hates with a passion being here – but his attitude toward the media and fans is f’in exhausting and I HATE scheduling 60 minutes of my day to wince at it.

During the season, my life has always revolved around finding every article, watching every news clip, etc etc...but now I can hardly watch the post game pressers when we WIN…let alone when we lose. I always do, though, and every time I walk away feeling stupid that I thought it would be different.

For me – and this is just my opinion – he’s starting to take all the fun out of being a fan and I’m not so sure it would be THAT much better even if we won the MNC someday (though I still want that to happen :)).....

Why the hell can’t the guy just have some fun with it and be a bit more lighthearted – just a bit!!!???? What a stiff.......

Maybe his problem was due to how bad Husker Nation was coming unglued after some bummer games, which is just part of the deal when you rebuild...and I can't say I blame him.....but none-the-less....it's just not as enjoyable to witness all things Husker as it used to be.....

I sure hope this isn't the new normal.

I stopped watching years ago but that is because it is low budget and watching NU paid media lob softballs to the coach w/ some video mixed in isn't really that entertaining.

I don't have a problem with Bo's demeanor though.

Did you like it better when they were lobbing softballs to Callahan after his team got smoked and he gave such BS answers?

I guess I think the coaches show has almost nothing to do with football or being a fan. It is a little fluff extra that is kind of cool if you have nothing else to do.

• Fire 1

I stopped watching years ago but that is because it is low budget and watching NU paid media lob softballs to the coach w/ some video mixed in isn't really that entertaining.

I don't have a problem with Bo's demeanor though.

Did you like it better when they were lobbing softballs to Callahan after his team got smoked and he gave such BS answers?

I guess I think the coaches show has almost nothing to do with football or being a fan. It is a little fluff extra that is kind of cool if you have nothing else to do.

Yea - I probably wasn't terribly clear. It isn't just the NFS - it's really everything. Don't get me wrong - I much prefer success. I just don't recall feeling quite as frustrated with all the "extra" stuff outside of the game with any coach in the past - Callahan included.

For the first time EVER, this past mid-season I completely withdrew from either:

a) Searching out and NOT missing the Nebraska Football show under any circumstance

or

I don’t know if it’s just the way Pelini is or if he just flat out hates with a passion being here – but his attitude toward the media and fans is f’in exhausting and I HATE scheduling 60 minutes of my day to wince at it.

During the season, my life has always revolved around finding every article, watching every news clip, etc etc...but now I can hardly watch the post game pressers when we WIN…let alone when we lose. I always do, though, and every time I walk away feeling stupid that I thought it would be different.

For me – and this is just my opinion – he’s starting to take all the fun out of being a fan and I’m not so sure it would be THAT much better even if we won the MNC someday (though I still want that to happen :)).....

Why the hell can’t the guy just have some fun with it and be a bit more lighthearted – just a bit!!!???? What a stiff.......

Maybe his problem was due to how bad Husker Nation was coming unglued after some bummer games, which is just part of the deal when you rebuild...and I can't say I blame him.....but none-the-less....it's just not as enjoyable to witness all things Husker as it used to be.....

To me personally. ..I think its taking more of a drain because of the way the media covers things. The OWH just flat out sucks and are lazy piece of sh#t journalists. Honestly. . when was the last time they actually did a football story rather than a glorified column? They all want to be Woody page. The only real decent article they did this year was when they tried to explain the zone read to the fans. Too bad they stole that from the Seattle paper the week we played Washington. They were the last to turn on BC when he was here defending him like crazy at every turn but it seems to be the opposite from Bo and I think that's probably more of a change in reporting than anything. Controversy sells papers so they are trying to find it all the time. To me it gets really old as they hammer UNL all the time and its rare they give props to it any more. I hope they get stuck covering Creighton BB the rest of their lives.

I think the LJS is probably closest to the program but most of their people aren't really seasoned so we don't always get the info we'd like. Plus they are more sports fans than sports reporters. Three years ago I'd say they lead the charge in covering the program. Now I think they kind of sit back and see what will come to them 90% of the time. The new kids got lazy.

And of course...message boards have now filled up with 95% morons. Its rare when someone asked a educated, thought out question. They now remind me of the call in show before the football games. You know the first caller asked how the offensive line is going to stack up against the defense? And then every 3rd caller asks the same question. They don't care about the answer they just want to have a chance to be heard on the radio looking retarded (excuse my use of that word). It used to be very easy to get good info, but everyone wants to pretend to be an ESPN news reporter and break a story. All the crap that used to be speculated at the water cooler now goes viral. It doesn't matter that the janitor at the pizza hut is the one thinking Bo's going to hire Urban Meyer as OC. People assume he knows what he's talking about and it spreads. In real life if he said it we'd call him an idiot and move on. On the internet he seems to know something so lets listen to him. All that crap just creates a disconnect with the program.

I like Bo very much. I think he does a very good job. If I were asked the same stupid questions every time I'd probably pull a TM and stop talking to the media. I mean how would you like it if everyday your work performance was publicly examined, but we're only going to talk about you tripping up? I would guess your public image would take a hit and it would grow old having to defend yourself. I think Bo is still tight with TO and I think over time he'll realize the stupid crap he deals with here is everywhere so its a matter of finding the lesser of evils. The world has changed and not always for the better.

• Fire 2

or

Depending on where you are at in your life that could have something to do with it. I used to be wrapped up in everything Husker searching for any bit of info i could get, that lasted from my late teens through my mid 20's. I am now 29 and the past couple years I have just found that i have better things to do than worry about something that i have no control over. Sure, i still love to check things out but my life doesnt revolve around it like it used to. Believe it or not, there are other things out there that are more important than which hat some prima donna puts on, on February 3rd.

It is bad, Bo never looks at the camera and you can hardly hear him when he speaks. I have said this before, I know he doesn't want to do it, but it comes with the territory... Hate to say it but Callahan at least made it enjoyable to watch, even though he had to explain some serious beatdowns!

I think the most draining issue for me, the fans, media (and Bo) has been our back to back record setting seasons of fumbles and penalties. Nebraska's top two season totals for penalties were the last two along with being near or leading the nation in fumbles. We have not been beat much the past two years but we have certainly beat ourselves time and time again...honestly its taking a toll on the whole program and fan base. The two things that most heavily reflect on coaching and discipline (besides W's and L's) are penalties and turnovers.

The 2nd coming of Tommie Frazier or Peyton Manning couldn't save our offense with all of the turnovers and penalties we've had.

Depending on where you are at in your life that could have something to do with it. I used to be wrapped up in everything Husker searching for any bit of info i could get, that lasted from my late teens through my mid 20's. I am now 29 and the past couple years I have just found that i have better things to do than worry about something that i have no control over. Sure, i still love to check things out but my life doesnt revolve around it like it used to. Believe it or not, there are other things out there that are more important than which hat some prima donna puts on, on February 3rd.

I can't argue with this and it does have something to do with it...but taking the natural erosion out of the equation.......I still enjoy it less.