Greetings!

Hawknut5

Ok So since the begining of the Bcs in 98 lets take a look. Because and I quote "Before the BCS, things were fuzzier. The mythical "National Champion" was ... well, mythical. There was no one organization to crown college football's national champion. Instead, there were multiple polls [primarily AP (press) and UPI/ESPN/USA Today (coaches)]. And, each poll would simply vote at the end of the year and name its #1 team."

So now we have what the NC, Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange

98 NU Orange W

00 NU Fiesta W

02 Rose L

02 IA Orange L

09 IA Orange W

By that Nu has been to one more Bcs bowl with a 2 to 1 record

Iowa has been to 2 with a 1 to 1 record

Not alot of bragging rights by either team if you ask me, but wait lets dig some more

NU against B10 in bowls

86 NU vs Mich L

00 NU vs Northwestern W

03 Nu vs Mich ST W

05 NU vs Mich W

Record 3 to 1

IA against B12 in bowls

84 IA vs TEX W

96 IA vs TEX Tech W

01 IA vs Tex Tech W

06 IA vs Tex L

10 IA vs Missery W

Record 4 to 1

Whats it all mean, who cares lets play ball and hope it's a good game!

Isn't all this BS history? The same history were aren't supposed to ever bring up?

Not too mention completely proves the point of our irrelevant era = your Golden Era.

That was my original idea but as was pointed out it's not apples and oranges, which haveing some sort of brain problems made me hungry for an apple and started me to thinking about the orange bowl which lead to all bcs bowls which led to Nu and IA's record in such Bcs bowls and here we are.

Haha :laughpound :laughpound

Can the season get here soon enough? We really need to get this year's bragging rights sorted out.

:yeah

Even if Iowa DOES win the first year I have no intention of rubbing it in to anyone because we certainly aren't going to win every year. I still think it ends up about 6-4 over a 10 year period in Nebraska's favor although I certainly hope it ends up more in our favor!

Ok So since the begining of the Bcs in 98 lets take a look. Because and I quote "Before the BCS, things were fuzzier. The mythical "National Champion" was ... well, mythical. There was no one organization to crown college football's national champion. Instead, there were multiple polls [primarily AP (press) and UPI/ESPN/USA Today (coaches)]. And, each poll would simply vote at the end of the year and name its #1 team."

98 NU Orange W

00 NU Fiesta W

02 Rose L

02 IA Orange L

09 IA Orange W

Not alot of bragging rights by either team if you ask me, but wait lets dig some more

NU against B10 in bowls

86 NU vs Mich L

00 NU vs Northwestern W

03 Nu vs Mich ST W

05 NU vs Mich W

Record 3 to 1

IA against B12 in bowls

84 IA vs TEX W

96 IA vs TEX Tech W

01 IA vs Tex Tech W

06 IA vs Tex L

10 IA vs Missery W

Record 4 to 1

I wonder why you would pick 1998? It seems like such an arbitrary year. Hmmm.

You're going to have to try a little harder. What you've done here is painfully transparent.

He stated why he picked 1998 if you would care to actually read his post. What he did IS painfully transparent. He compared the two teams in postseason play through the modern (BCS) era both in BCS bowls as well as in head to head matchups against the opposing conference. Not sure why he went all time in head to head conference matchups instead of just leaving it from 98 forward - changes the numbers to 3-0 NE, 2-1 Iowa. Not a whole lot of data there and BOTH teams need to do better at getting to the big bowls in the modern era.

Exactly and win them.

You guys are funny. Iowa and Nebraska were fairly equal in 2010. Nebraska was blessed with a cream puff schedule hence the inflated record. The difference being Iowa actually won their bowl game against a much better team.

that nebraska beat 31 to 17

I can say the same thing about Iowa State buddy. Nice try.

How's Floyd of Rosedale doing....oh right i should go ask a gopher.

How's that Holiday Bowl trophy that you had a month to prepare for? Oh I'll ask UW. How's that revenge tasting against Texas? Oh wait that didn't happen either. I'm not making excuses for Iowa, they lost the games they lost because they did not execute when they needed to and plain gave up at the end of the season. If I were a Nebraska fan I would blame the refs and some conspiracy theory for every loss Iowa has.

Hey Hawknut. Try not to make all of us Iowa fans look bad in your first day here. Please remember that this is THEIR board and we are just visitors. THEY are the ones that get to be cocky and brash here in response to slights - real or perceived - against their team. If you want to trash Nebraska, do it on our boards.

Just as there are many Hawk fans who think that Iowa is going to roll over Nebraska year in and year out, there are many Nebraska fans that think the same thing in reverse. The Iowa fans do their bragging on our boards and the Nebraska fans do their bragging here. Nothing anyone says will change either groups opinion as to what is going to happen until such time as the teams start playing every year on the field. If you are truly wanting a conversation about each teams strengths and weaknesses and how the game might play out, make your post and then (and I can't stress this enough) IGNORE all of the "chest thumping we are better than you and it won't be a game" posts and simply carry on conversations in thread with those people who are actually contributing to the discussion.

eta: There are many good people here and if you are truly here for conversation and not just to troll it is really easy to figure out who to talk with and who to just let roll off your back.

• Fire 3

You guys are funny. Iowa and Nebraska were fairly equal in 2010. Nebraska was blessed with a cream puff schedule hence the inflated record. The difference being Iowa actually won their bowl game against a much better team.

that nebraska beat 31 to 17

I can say the same thing about Iowa State buddy. Nice try.

How's Floyd of Rosedale doing....oh right i should go ask a gopher.

How's that Holiday Bowl trophy that you had a month to prepare for? Oh I'll ask UW. How's that revenge tasting against Texas? Oh wait that didn't happen either. I'm not making excuses for Iowa, they lost the games they lost because they did not execute when they needed to and plain gave up at the end of the season. If I were a Nebraska fan I would blame the refs and some conspiracy theory for every loss Iowa has.

Hey Hawknut. Try not to make all of us Iowa fans look bad in your first day here. Please remember that this is THEIR board and we are just visitors. THEY are the ones that get to be cocky and brash here in response to slights - real or perceived - against their team. If you want to trash Nebraska, do it on our boards.

Just as there are many Hawk fans who think that Iowa is going to roll over Nebraska year in and year out, there are many Nebraska fans that think the same thing in reverse. The Iowa fans do their bragging on our boards and the Nebraska fans do their bragging here. Nothing anyone says will change either groups opinion as to what is going to happen until such time as the teams start playing every year on the field. If you are truly wanting a conversation about each teams strengths and weaknesses and how the game might play out, make your post and then (and I can't stress this enough) IGNORE all of the "chest thumping we are better than you and it won't be a game" posts and simply carry on conversations in thread with those people who are actually contributing to the discussion.

eta: There are many good people here and if you are truly here for conversation and not just to troll it is really easy to figure out who to talk with and who to just let roll off your back.

I agree, they are very football knowledgeable over here and have a good sence of humor as well, so dont be making them hate us Iowa fans, let them hate me for being me.

98 NU Orange W

00 NU Fiesta W

02 Rose L

02 IA Orange L

09 IA Orange W

NU against B10 in bowls

86 NU vs Mich L

00 NU vs Northwestern W

03 Nu vs Mich ST W

05 NU vs Mich W

Record 3 to 1

IA against B12 in bowls

84 IA vs TEX W

96 IA vs TEX Tech W

01 IA vs Tex Tech W

06 IA vs Tex L

10 IA vs Missery W

Record 4 to 1

I wonder why you would pick 1998? It seems like such an arbitrary year. Hmmm.

You're going to have to try a little harder. What you've done here is painfully transparent.

He stated why he picked 1998 if you would care to actually read his post. What he did IS painfully transparent. He compared the two teams in postseason play through the modern (BCS) era both in BCS bowls as well as in head to head matchups against the opposing conference. Not sure why he went all time in head to head conference matchups instead of just leaving it from 98 forward - changes the numbers to 3-0 NE, 2-1 Iowa. Not a whole lot of data there and BOTH teams need to do better at getting to the big bowls in the modern era.

Yep. It has nothing do do with what NU did in the few years prior to 1998 does it? Say . . . 1994-1997? Where does your argument go if you add a couple years to your range? That's what I thought.

But yeah. History since 1998 apparently matters. History prior to 1998 doesn't.

But I'm sure that's all an accident right? :laughpound

...I know that Nebraska's only claim that they are better than Iowa now is because of what they did over 10 years ago. How is that not irrelevant now considering you've been through 3 coaches since then and have completely new players? ...

There's a college football blog out there that (about a year ago) provided this analysis:

The ability to win NOW correlates MORE with a team's record over the past 25 years than it does with a team's record over the past 10 years.

So, in squak terms, that means that our history will still help us beat you. And that doesn't even consider how we were much better than you this year. But nice try. :thumbs

...I know that Nebraska's only claim that they are better than Iowa now is because of what they did over 10 years ago. How is that not irrelevant now considering you've been through 3 coaches since then and have completely new players? ...

There's a college football blog out there that (about a year ago) provided this analysis:

The ability to win NOW correlates MORE with a team's record over the past 25 years than it does with a team's record over the past 10 years.

So, in squak terms, that means that our history will still help us beat you. And that doesn't even consider how we were much better than you this year. But nice try. :thumbs

"But . . . BUT . . . we beat Missouri!" -Hawkeye fans.

Well, correlation does not imply causation.

All that says is 25-year history correlates more with current success than 10-year history. I suspect that has a lot to do with the traditional strongholds never staying down long and always being on the top. While when you only look at ten years, you get a lot of flash in the pan data with programs that have some good runs, and any down years from a top program (like OU or USC in the 90s) would make them look no different than another struggling program when in reality, they are Oklahoma and USC still.

So our history is not going to "help" us beat Iowa, necessarily. But it could be a good reason to suspect that we will be a stronger program than Iowa in the coming years.

correlation.png

• Fire 1