Recruit not happy about the Marvin situation

Didn't Sanders resign and not get fired? Everyone is saying that he got fired but I thought he resigned. Where is it Bo's place to spill the beans to a recruit about what Sanders might have done. You don't tell a recruit that his position coach has been up to no good and he is leaving for it.

Marvin did not wake up Thursday AM and decide he no longer wanted to coach at Nebraska. He wanted to retire here. His separation, while listed as a "resignation," is not voluntary. I'm sure he submitted resignation papers, but had he not he would have been "fired" (or, his contract would not have been renewed, or however they would have phrased it). Allowing him to resign allows him to save some face.

Expect more coaches to resign before Spring practice. It's the nature of the beast.

And to quote a famous American from earlier in this thread, I am "less than proud of this" situation with Jackson. You gotta feel for the kid. Hack had a great point that you should NEVER go to a school based on assistants because they come and go, but we knew there was change in the wind weeks ago.

I am 100% in Bo's camp. I like the guy, I want him to stay here. But sometimes I think we need to organize an Intervention and save him from himself. He puts himself in these situations by continually doing the wrong thing.

Thursday afternoon, Nebraska made Sanders' departure official. Thursday night at 8, Jackson still hadn't heard from Sanders, Bo Pelini or anyone else at Nebraska.

“I think they should've told me before I signed,” Jackson said. “I didn't have any idea. They broke the guy code."

LINK

This is not good.

Dirk being a dick by making a story the kid can repeat. Jackson acknowledges he still would have come to NU. End of story, mountain reduced back to mole hill. GBR !

Didn't Sanders resign and not get fired? Everyone is saying that he got fired but I thought he resigned. Where is it Bo's place to spill the beans to a recruit about what Sanders might have done. You don't tell a recruit that his position coach has been up to no good and he is leaving for it.

Marvin did not wake up Thursday AM and decide he no longer wanted to coach at Nebraska. He wanted to retire here. His separation, while listed as a "resignation," is not voluntary. I'm sure he submitted resignation papers, but had he not he would have been "fired" (or, his contract would not have been renewed, or however they would have phrased it). Allowing him to resign allows him to save some face.

Expect more coaches to resign before Spring practice. It's the nature of the beast.

And to quote a famous American from earlier in this thread, I am "less than proud of this" situation with Jackson. You gotta feel for the kid. Hack had a great point that you should NEVER go to a school based on assistants because they come and go, but we knew there was change in the wind weeks ago.

I am 100% in Bo's camp. I like the guy, I want him to stay here. But sometimes I think we need to organize an Intervention and save him from himself. He puts himself in these situations by continually doing the wrong thing.

Where did I say he just woke up and wanted to resign? I'm just saying that Bo doesn't and probably wouldn't tell a recruit the reasons for said resigination. Yes, he probably could have said that Sanders is going to resign for personnal reason, but Sanders could have also told Jackson also that he was going too.

Where did I say he just woke up and wanted to resign? I'm just saying that Bo doesn't and probably wouldn't tell a recruit the reasons for said resigination. Yes, he probably could have said that Sanders is going to resign for personnal reason, but Sanders could have also told Jackson also that he was going too.

OK, sorry, I was trying to say it nicely.

Marvin Sanders was fired. Had he not resigned he would have been let go by the University. I'm not going to get into why, but that's the situation.

Not good at all, I continue to support Bo through every tough time that's happened since he's started but my God these are starting to build up, and build up quick and it's all about character...I think eventually we will get to a point where we are not going to want Bo around and realize the kind of person he is..I still support him but wow

i think you are spot on...integrity is more important here than winning at all costs...this sucks, it really does....wake up BO, your reputation is on the line for all to see.

Why wouldn’t this kid be upset that the coach he was set to work under for the next 4-5 years ups and leaves the day after he signs his pledge to that school? If I’m not mistaken the position coaches spend more time with the players then the Head Coach does so he has every right to be a little riled up over it.

Also if he wasn’t informed that a change was occurring then that is on Bo. He said it himself that he was truthful and up front with all the recruits during the whole process.

"As long as you're honest with them every step of the way ... you develop trust," Pelini said during the teleconference.

"In the end, I'm still the head coach," he said. "There are always going to be changes. I mean, I shouldn't say always. But there are going to be changes. It happens. It's part of the deal. I know there's a trust there. The young men trust me. They trust the staff. They trust the University of Nebraska that they're going to be coached in such a way that they're going to be very happy about.

"I talk about trust, and I believe that's a big part of it."

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/recruiting/article_ff5ad5ce-fa1e-562e-b429-81dbc30412fd.html

the kid is just bummed that MS isnt going to be there and said it would not have affected his choice to come to nebraska

but honestly it was weak what nebraska did....

Saying what Pelini did is weak is indeed true... but not nearly enough -- what he did was unethical, dirty and inexcusable. Wow.... this is what NU football has become.....

It is not surprising that most of the general fans of the nation now look down at NU and see us as scum. Because Pelini is now the face of NU football.. well what people see is temper tandrums, F-Bombs, incredibly poor PR, horrific interviews where our ambassador (Pelini) shows a punk attitude and smug indifference --- and now we are a program that lied to our recruits by giving them the impression that they would be playing for Coaches X,Y & Z when those coaches were known to be gone. A bait and switch.

We firstly had Callahan... which was a disaster on the field. Now we have Pelini who is a disaster off the field. The past years at NU have been bad. And until this whole staff goes... it will remain a disaster.

Frankly, how can Tom Osborne allow this?

NU is my alma mater and I will always wish for it the best... but being a Husker is much, much more difficult than it has ever been. In the past, win, lose or draw we at least could rest well saying that, generally, NU football had integrity. Not any longer... and not for a while.

Bo is, once again, in the wrong. How much evidence do we need?

• Fire 1

OK, sorry, I was trying to say it nicely.

Marvin Sanders was fired. Had he not resigned he would have been let go by the University. I'm not going to get into why, but that's the situation.

I agree 100% that if he wouldn't have resigned, that he would have been fired. He is a good coach that possibly messed up and it's good for the university to give him the option to leave on his own. I was just pointing to the fact that people were saying that he got fired instead of resigning.

Tom worked for Bob Devaney. The Bobfather wasn't the choirboy people think Tom is/was (neither was Tom the choirboy people think he was for that matter). The fact that Bo is not perfect is not lost on Tom, but perfection isn't a job requirement. The Bobfather was very much not perfect, and Tom knew that, but the fact is that Devaney got it done on the field.

Bo has some chinks in his armor. There are some things I really don't like. But taken as a whole he's a hell of a football coach, and for only having done this for three years, he's doing a hell of a job in a lot of areas.

I'm hoping he continues to improve in the areas in which he has deficiencies. I'm willing to stand behind him while he goes through the learning curve, even though it's painful sometimes. Here's hoping he gets a lot better at PR stuff really quickly.

Not good at all, I continue to support Bo through every tough time that's happened since he's started but my God these are starting to build up, and build up quick and it's all about character...I think eventually we will get to a point where we are not going to want Bo around and realize the kind of person he is..I still support him but wow

i think you are spot on...integrity is more important here than winning at all costs...this sucks, it really does....wake up BO, your reputation is on the line for all to see.

To both Hunter and the Bobfather.... you two have been faithful, insightful and wonderful contributors to this board. All three of us(and many others too) have been posting for quite some time now and we all love the Huskers...

When people like us... died in the wool Husker fans of the first order are now coming to realize that this Pelini thing must come to an end... well this indicates that the problems now are regarding character and integrity.

While I am embarrased and saddened by what NU football has become under Bo... I am encouraged that there are still Husker faithful --- like you two guys who recognize that NU intergity is something that is more important than wins and losses.

I support the program... of course. What is best for the program at this point is to not stop with the OC and some assistants. Lets start this thing over with a new staff. Lets restore integrity to NU.

Tom worked for Bob Devaney. The Bobfather wasn't the choirboy people think Tom is/was (neither was Tom the choirboy people think he was for that matter). The fact that Bo is not perfect is not lost on Tom, but perfection isn't a job requirement. The Bobfather was very much not perfect, and Tom knew that, but the fact is that Devaney got it done on the field.

Bo has some chinks in his armor. There are some things I really don't like. But taken as a whole he's a hell of a football coach, and for only having done this for three years, he's doing a hell of a job in a lot of areas.

I'm hoping he continues to improve in the areas in which he has deficiencies. I'm willing to stand behind him while he goes through the learning curve, even though it's painful sometimes. Here's hoping he gets a lot better at PR stuff really quickly.

learning curve? wow, what the "h" happened to common sense? does Bo need a class on that too, along with anger management?? :wtf

learning curve? wow, what the "h" happened to common sense? does Bo need a class on that too, along with anger management?? :wtf

I would say yes, apparently he does. Bo is a great football coach. His expertise lies between the white stripes on Saturdays, on the practice field and in the game-planning room. It's not surprising that he's not ALSO an expert at PR, nor is he required to be. He simply needs to be functional at PR and he is - barely. He definitely has room for improvement, but I don't think it's time to fire him for his deficiencies.