Recruit not happy about the Marvin situation

A lot of people need to breathe and leave the message boards alone. Bo is probably the best thing to happen to Nebraska in a long time. We dont know the whole story.

Jeez some people are just never happy and have to bitch about the stupidest things. Bo didn't do this, Bo didn't say this, or Bo didn't handle that this way. As long as Bo is winning football games and getting highly rated players here and developing them and keeping then out of trouble I could give a rats ass on other issues.

If these rumors are correct that Watson is out of here than he's getting the big picture that our offense has been hurting us for 2 years straight and wants that fixed.

Win at all cost mentality?

Of course the hope would be that the recruits would in fact stay. They would not be bound to stay --- having had committed to coaches that they thought were going to coach them who, in fact were already gone. This is only fair... and, in seeing the new coaches one would hope that they would opt to stay. But forcing a kid to stay when they came under false pretense is not fair.

Why stop with recruits? Most of the secondary already on the team thought Sanders would be their coach the entirety of their college careers, why not release them as well? Extreme I know, but so is releasing all the new recruits from their scholarship when it's likely that only one really cares about what happened.

I agree that the situation with CJ is dubious and if he wants a release I think that it should be granted. But for me there aren't enough facts out yet to lay blame at anyone but Sanders at this point.

A lot of people need to breathe and leave the message boards alone. Bo is probably the best thing to happen to Nebraska in a long time. We dont know the whole story.

Jeez some people are just never happy and have to bitch about the stupidest things. Bo didn't do this, Bo didn't say this, or Bo didn't handle that this way. As long as Bo is winning football games and getting highly rated players here and developing them and keeping then out of trouble I could give a rats ass on other issues.

If these rumors are correct that Watson is out of here than he's getting the big picture that our offense has been hurting us for 2 years straight and wants that fixed.

Would you prefer the "suck at all cost" mentality of Bo's predecessor?

Robsker, wouldn't you agree that we prospered under Devaney? And that we prospered under Osborne? There were shenanigans galore under Devaney, and there were several ugly incidents during Osborne's tenure, that never saw the light of day. I hear stories about this stuff over the past ten years or so that, if they came out during a coach's tenure today, would get him fired on the spot.

The two differences here are 1) perception and 2) the Information Age. Neither Bob nor Tom had to deal with 24-hour sports stations or the Internet like Bo does. A lot of things that happened didn't come out to the public like they do today - but they still happened. Because folks didn't know about this stuff during Osborne's career they perceived he was this squeaky-clean coach, when in fact he had plenty of skeletons, too. The Bobfather had a whole graveyard full of skeletons, but he coached in such a different era that nobody knew or cared.

Bo is fine. He is unpolished and could stand to work on some things. But even if you're not 100% giddy about the events of the last few days, it's far too much to demand his ouster. There likely isn't a coach alive today that would do a better job overall than Bo is doing now. Sure, we could get some Nick Saban PR master here, but Slick Nick is as dirty as they come. You trade some integrity for better PR, maybe. I'll pass on that.

As for Devany... I cannot say as that pre-dated me. I am not a native of Nebraska and my ties to Nebraska came when I went there for my PhD study that began in 1983. Prior to 83' I knew nothing of NU football. But once I went to NU I came to really respect and admire the state on Nebraska, the university and the general culture there. great place to live.

Anyway... I know nothing directly of the Devaney years.

Your point on perception and the information age is well taken. You are absolutely correct. Which makes it all the more important that your leaders are squeaky clean because the degree of scrutiny today vastly exceeds that from the past.

My old school take. It may have well have been that Devaney and Osborne also had their misgivings. Sure. We all do, myself included. But that does not abdicate Bo of the responsibility to be a man of character. In fact, it is the nature of the information age that means that the leaders of today must be much more uniformly ethical in order to represent their constituency well.

Those who posit that Bo should be measured by record alone (as in W/L record) seemingly under value the reality that a coach wears many hats --- PR, ambassador of the university, and formal coaching.

I don't by any means think a newspaper should roll over and play dead. However they're past the point of trying to ask objective questions. Thats why it pisses me off so much. They're trashing what it really means to be a journalist. The slant on the story is ridiculous. Dirk it trying to grandstand. Part of the problem is no one is a reporter anymore. . .they all want to be a columnist.

I'll also admit that Bo needs to work on his PR. .. but to insinuate that he's running a dirty program is just a flat out lie. Even questioning his integrity is a huge...HUGE.. ...stretch. We don't over sign, if we realize a player isn't panning out we tell him to look around well in advance, we don't have scandals of kids getting their homework done by tutors or coaches taking tests for them. Hell we haven't even had to cover up any rapes and harassment leading to suicides. We haven't even had a good supplement scandal that puts 15 players in the hospital. The worst we deal with is some alcohol related offenses, and yelling at refs. Oh. . I guess we did have that one coach who got into trouble and of course we all know that's Bo's fault for being a man of no morals.

Great, great post. Couldn't agree with you more. Dirk has an axe to grind, trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. Seemed like somewhat of a hatchet piece to me.

And people wonder why supposed "reporters" are thought of to be lower on the food chain than used car salesmen and street corner pharmacists.

Nebula,

Sorry, shoudl have said "Bo thinks all players/recruits love him".

Well, I bet he DOES care what they think about him. ;)

However, this situation is NOT a win at all costs type of deal. Win at all costs is SMU 1984. Win at all costs is over signing recruits to the point where they have to specifically make a rule banning your practices (a la Houston Nutt.) We ain't anywhere near that.

It's been said already, but the focus on Pelini is misplaced when it comes to talking about the integrity angle, or whatever. Bo's great sin was an awkward, unpolished teleconference with reporters. That news is as fresh as the news that mining in China is dangerous. The guy with questions to answer regarding character, integrity, ect is *Marvin Sanders.

*Apparently.

Where the hell in my post did it say that? Your just grasping at air, man. What the "win at all cost" fans dont understand, is there are a lot of fans that care about HOW we win, not just that we win.

I don't by any means think a newspaper should roll over and play dead. However they're past the point of trying to ask objective questions. Thats why it pisses me off so much. They're trashing what it really means to be a journalist. The slant on the story is ridiculous. Dirk it trying to grandstand. Part of the problem is no one is a reporter anymore. . .they all want to be a columnist.

I'll also admit that Bo needs to work on his PR. .. but to insinuate that he's running a dirty program is just a flat out lie. Even questioning his integrity is a huge...HUGE.. ...stretch. We don't over sign, if we realize a player isn't panning out we tell him to look around well in advance, we don't have scandals of kids getting their homework done by tutors or coaches taking tests for them. Hell we haven't even had to cover up any rapes and harassment leading to suicides. We haven't even had a good supplement scandal that puts 15 players in the hospital. The worst we deal with is some alcohol related offenses, and yelling at refs. Oh. . I guess we did have that one coach who got into trouble and of course we all know that's Bo's fault for being a man of no morals.

Great, great post. Couldn't agree with you more. Dirk has an axe to grind, trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. Seemed like somewhat of a hatchet piece to me.

And people wonder why supposed "reporters" are thought of to be lower on the food chain than used car salesmen and street corner pharmacists.

Exactly, as previously stated, the pucker factor on the board is reaching epic proportions.

There are a good number of folks that have real short memories. If I'm not mistaken, just about 3 years ago, we were all going absolutely batsh*t at the prospect of Bo coming to Lincoln to coach this team. Just because some guy writes a story that puts a bad spin on something that even the writer may not have all the facts on, is just plain asinine.

I understand what everyone is saying about picking the school, but the poisition coach is an important part of a young mans decision.

•  
  • During a practice you are in individuals for most of the practice. Team is usually at the end of practice? Individuals is run by your position coach.
  • During film study before practice you are in meetings with your position coach.
  • Practice and game film grades are analyzed by your position coach.
  • Before you bring a problem to the Head Coach, Trainer, or whoever you communicate with your position coach.

If indeed Sanders and more coaches are let go after signing day that will be a low move on the part of this staff..

Nebula,

Sorry, shoudl have said "Bo thinks all players/recruits love him".

Well, I bet he DOES care what they think about him. ;)

However, this situation is NOT a win at all costs type of deal. Win at all costs is SMU 1984. Win at all costs is over signing recruits to the point where they have to specifically make a rule banning your practices (a la Houston Nutt.) We ain't anywhere near that.

It's been said already, but the focus on Pelini is misplaced when it comes to talking about the integrity angle, or whatever. Bo's great sin was an awkward, unpolished teleconference with reporters. That news is as fresh as the news that mining in China is dangerous. The guy with questions to answer regarding character, integrity, ect is *Marvin Sanders.

*Apparently.

I agree. I am not questioning his integrity. I am questioning how he handled the Jackson situation, and his ability to progress as an all-around head coach. That includes press confrences, sideline behavior, how he treats the media, etc. Again, he is young and will make mistakes. Just live and learn.

Of course the hope would be that the recruits would in fact stay. They would not be bound to stay --- having had committed to coaches that they thought were going to coach them who, in fact were already gone. This is only fair... and, in seeing the new coaches one would hope that they would opt to stay. But forcing a kid to stay when they came under false pretense is not fair.

Why stop with recruits? Most of the secondary already on the team thought Sanders would be their coach the entirety of their college careers, why not release them as well? Extreme I know, but so is releasing all the new recruits from their scholarship when it's likely that only one really cares about what happened.

I agree that the situation with CJ is dubious and if he wants a release I think that it should be granted. But for me there aren't enough facts out yet to lay blame at anyone but Sanders at this point.

Simple. Those on the team already were not lied to. Simply there was a coaching change. Happens all the time. There is no problem changing coaches... the problem lies in recruiting players here on the premise that they would be mentored by people who you know would not be here when the player arrives. Two entirely different situations there.

Where the hell in my post did it say that? Your just grasping at air, man. What the "win at all cost" fans dont understand, is there are a lot of fans that care about HOW we win, not just that we win.

I was merely answering your question, with another. Would your rather have the lackadaisical offensive guru? I'm not sure if you remember 5 or 6 years ago, when it was just downright painful to watch this team play.

If there was a win at all cost mentality around the program - we'd be winning. NU certainly has the resources to ensure that the "CO$T$" of winning can be met without issue. Looking at our recruiting I think it's quite obvious that this isn't the approach that's been taken. This is such a non-issue. CJ just got his first lesson in media relations...who knows what context his statements were said in...but I HIGHLY doubt he's hurt or offended by the lack of a phone call. If he doesn't realize he's one small piece of a much bigger picture at this point then he won't find much success playing for Bo anyway.

Everyone just needs to calm down.

Pelini coaches in a different era than Bob and Tom. There is more information out there, more media members that will go go beyond any means neccisary to "break a story" or to "get the scoop".

Let's also be honest, Tom was pretty dry with the media as well, even when he won National Championships. He said something after the Tennessee game like "We played hard, we knocked some guys down." Gee that kind of sounds like Bo in a way. Oh you mean Tom was smiling and doesn't say it as upset as Bo does with no real facial expression like, even though they have similar sound bytes?

Give me a break. knapplc is absolutely right with his posts in this thread.

We don't know what Sanders did, all we can do is speculate. Did Bo mislead the recruit? Maybe a little. Perhaps Bo didn't know what he could or couldn't say in regards to the situation since it came in so late, if the time-line of "Sanders resigning 2 weeks ago is true" maybe it came out as a curveball.

Should Bo explain himself to the recruit? Yeah, probably, now that he is officially a Husker, but Bo doesn't owe us an explanation. Sure, we are a part of the program, but we don't need to know the ins and outs of the little things.

We will just have to see if anything "legally" comes out from the fall-out. Coaches are not always 100% honest, much less are people always 100% honest and keep their word. At least Bo talks about making guys into mature young men, as well as playing and being the best football player they can be, and talking about Integrity, Passion, Desire, Competing for the Best, Character, and things of the such, unlike some coaches that DON'T EVER preach these things. To my knowledge, Bo talks about it constantly and as far as I can tell, from what he can, he holds up his end of the bargain.

Am I a little upset at this from the recruit's angle? Sure, I wish it would have went over better, absolutely. But you can't do much if your assistant coach puts himself in these situations, I just hope it gets worked out.

For all of you saying Bo should be fired and how our integrity has taken a hit, I must faceplam at that. Look, I get it, things are different at Nebraska, we have integrity, passion, and desire to be the best, but you have to understand that it's the whole package. It's not JUST about winning and its not JUST about integrity. It's a balance of both here, and I think we have that. Does Bo need work around the edges? Sure. But you can't honestly say that you or I don't need any work around the edges with various parts of our lifes, if that weren't the case, then there would be no point to get out of bed everyday, no one is perfect and Bo is doing just fine.

A&M Game?: Don't tell me you were sitting at home, in a bar, or somewhere and didn't have the same facial expressions as Bo did at some of those outcomes of plays.

Shipgate: If we were winning and playing up to our potential, I bet Bo would have let the guy call one play, come on now, we were getting slapped around and even the guy said he stayed out of the way and understood why he didn't get to call a play. Pelini even joked maybe they should have let him call a play because of how poorly we were playing.

Sanders Situation: Again, we don't know the details, but hopefully Bo rights the ship with the recruit. Besides, who is not to say Sanders leaves after next year for a coordinator position somewhere, leaving the recruit at Nebraska? Coaches move all the time, Sanders resigned, maybe Sanders should have warned the recruit he might resign, or maybe it came up too fast and no one knew, we don't know.

The only thing I will give Bo a bad rap, is for the offense. If the offense stinks next year with Watson at the helm, it will be on Pelini. He had a chance to get rid of Watson, or get rid of him soon, and if he doesn't and the offense keeps us out of a Championship game or loses us a decent bowl, THEN it will be on Bo.

I love Pelini, glad he is here ,I don't want anyone else, but he isn't the only guy who could win here, but I want him here and he is the guy I want leading our program. He doesn't give a crap what you think and will do things his way not because he can, but that's because who he is and how his attitude is shaped.

But hey, we could go 4-8 every year but as long as the Coach is a nice guy on the podium, will answer ANY question from the media with an in-depth 20 minute answer about each small detail ans question as well as coddle his players when they screw up and just preach nothing but character and don't care about winning....by all means, root for Pelini to be fired.

Pelini preaches character, integrity, development, and football. That is what Nebraska is.

Simple. Those on the team already were not lied to. Simply there was a coaching change. Happens all the time. There is no problem changing coaches... the problem lies in recruiting players here on the premise that they would be mentored by people who you know would not be here when the player arrives. Two entirely different situations there.

If Bo told him Marvin would be on the team for his entire 4-5 years with the program...then yes, Jackson was lied to. I doubt he was told this though. To say Bo lied to Jackson in any way is a STRETCH of epic proportions.