OWH -Shatel

da skers

In the 47 seconds that article was up I already had a report on it. We simply cannot copypasta an entire article, especially from the Old Weird Harold. They are watching forums and have already contacted us about content taken from their site.

Nobody wants to be a netcop. But nobody wants HuskerBoard sued, either.

Personally, I don't link to their articles at all anymore. If they want to play hardball (which right I support, mind you), then there's no reason to give them free advertising on HuskerBoard. Nothing they write about can't be found somewhere else, either at the LJS, Sam McKewon, Eric Olson or some other source. I'd rather link to the Albuquerque Picayune than the OWH.

Exactly right. I've never heard of any news source acting like the OWH. Remind me to never buy one of their papers ever again.

It's actually quite common, and frowned on at a lot of different boards covering various subjects. OWH is getting their revenue through ad impressions, and by copying the entire article, it reduces traffic, and it's basically stealing revenue. It's no different than copying and pasting premium recruiting info.

But back to the subject at hand, is there any "source" for TO calling the OWH?

I wish we could find a way to counter some of those columns that seems like they were lifted right off a hot thread in a forum.

I will double-dog guarantee you that the writers from LJS, OWH, ESPN, CBS, etc look at message boards for material. The larger organizations probably have interns do the trolling, but what we say here and on HuskerMax and HI and other forums gets read, and it ends up coloring some of the articles.

Yes, this is the way the media works today. And not just for college football. Message boards are close to the cutting edge in all sorts of news areas--politics, investing, diplomacy, you name it. Beat writers often get clues for stories from message boards. It helps them to know where to poke around when they are (hopefully) doing their own research.

Message boards can be a place to start a search, or develop a story idea, kind of like Wikipedia is a place to start research on a project, which you then back up with information from a reputable source. If I were a sports journalist I'd be cruising threads on these forums daily.

Yeah, there are reporters on this board, and other boards, every day looking for leads. I imagine you have a pretty good idea who some of the reporters are on this board, based on their IP addresses and browser type/version. Even if they use a proxy, they forget and slip up once in a while.

I hope after TO's call reminding them they'd never treat him with this little respect it opened up their eyes a bit. . however these blowhards have short memories. And it looks like Bo meet them 1/2 way. I hope we have more love than hate going forward. It also seems maybe just maybe they might understand where Bo is coming from. Too bad they blew up and started a controversy. Remember the first impression is the impression that the majority of people are going to believe despite if its true or not and no matter how hard someone tries to retract things.

So TO called the OWH huh? Interesting...was this reported anywhere i missed or is this just your info, which we all appreciate by the way, you seem to be spot on.

Yes its my understanding there was a conversation regarding the future access they'd be allowed to have if the department or its employees were continually or unfairly attacked. He's fine with them doing their jobs but they don't need to be grandstanding, misrepresenting the facts, etc. There needs to be respect shown and it would be reciprocated.

• Fire 1

There are ways we could prevent the OWH from sneaking about on the board, they're just too time-consuming and difficult to implement for us to consider them serious.

You'd kill the board trying to keep them out. The more hoops you make people jump through, the less they'll hang around. The juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze.

What do we care if they troll HuskerBoard? Let them. I hope they enjoy it. :)

Just in case “they” are watching.

I love the OWH. I love Michael Kelly, Rainbow Rowell (her stories are so mesmerizing and thought provoking), Tom Shatel, Dirk, Mitch Sherman (he does write for them correct?), Kevin White, Jeff Koterba, the dude that does Nebraska High School sports, that guy whose names begins with a P that does the MVC (wait drop him because who gives a crap about the MVC). I love the funny pages, the section about celebrity birthdays, Dear Abby or whatever middle aged woman is now giving out advice, the dorky girl that tries to be hip by going to and rating all the “clubs” in the city, and I especially love Lee Barfknecht.

I don’t know about all that but I thought this Shatel article was pretty decent. His First Down and Second Guesses is always pretty good.

I would like to know what jobs Watson and Gilmore or thinking about taking though. I can only assume the NFL team(s) would be talking to Watson not Gilmore.

can't block the OWH IP address? At least then they couldn't set at their desks and troll the board. They would probably have to figure a way around it considering 75% of their Husker news originates from the board in some shape or form.

Sure we could, but that wouldn't keep them out, and really, we have no interest in keeping them out. Even if we could shut our doors to everyone from the Weird Harold, what does that do for us?

can't block the OWH IP address? At least then they couldn't set at their desks and troll the board. They would probably have to figure a way around it considering 75% of their Husker news originates from the board in some shape or form.

Sure we could, but that wouldn't keep them out, and really, we have no interest in keeping them out. Even if we could shut our doors to everyone from the Weird Harold, what does that do for us?

I think you should send a letter to them stating they have to link back to the board when they get information here. Same difference isn't it?