Don't Judge New Staff by Resumes

I don't think anyone was really expecting a Gruden level hire. Scott Frost would only be splashy because of the Nebraska connections, I don't think he's necessarily a big name. Other guys like Warriner and Phillips were reasonable hires for a team competing for a national championship. There's a difference between a big, splashy hire, an expected hire, and what we got. I would be shocked if a single team in the top 15 has hired a coach who has no previous experience (Garrison). Of course most programs aren't filled with splash hires, there aren't that many splash hires to go around, but simply reducing them to "solid coaches." Isn't exactly accurate. The top programs are largely filled with guys with extensive pro and college experience. Guys who've spent the last decade winning BCS bowls and coaching all-americans. Not coaching pop warner.

Compare our situation with Texas and LSU for instance. In order to revamp their offenses LSU and Texas both go out and get guys who've been coaching at top 10 programs and winning BCS bowls. LSU hires a guy like Kragthorpe. Texas gets Harsin from Boise. They get guys who are some of the best in the business, while we settle for unproven gambles because they're Bo's buddies.

Texas hired Applewhite as an assistant when he had no previous coaching experience. How is hiring Garrison any different?

At least come at me with facts. Applewhite coached at Syracuse, Rice, and Alabama before being hired at Texas. Plus, before being hired by Syracuse he'd at least worked as a GA at Texas whereas as an intern Garrison couldn't even be on the practice field.

I think it was a response to so many people feeling like we needed to hire a John Gruden or big name to fill these spots. I suppose we could have gotten one big name for the OC but doing that runs a risk if the coaches don't trust each other and don't gel as a staff. The other positions it really wasn't realistic but to be honest. . .average Husker fan is a moron who doesn't understand football, coaching, recruiting, etc like we think we really do. The average fan is too emotional and not rational. I think if people look around the actual sports world they will see the staffs at even Alabama are made up of solid. . no splash hire coaches. I think there was a story the packers even had a coach this year that was coaching high school before they hired him.

People always want to date the prom queen but the reality is . . .we have a better chance of scoring and being happy with the band nerd.

I don't think anyone was really expecting a Gruden level hire. Scott Frost would only be splashy because of the Nebraska connections, I don't think he's necessarily a big name. Other guys like Warriner and Phillips were reasonable hires for a team competing for a national championship. There's a difference between a big, splashy hire, an expected hire, and what we got. I would be shocked if a single team in the top 15 has hired a coach who has no previous experience (Garrison). Of course most programs aren't filled with splash hires, there aren't that many splash hires to go around, but simply reducing them to "solid coaches." Isn't exactly accurate. The top programs are largely filled with guys with extensive pro and college experience. Guys who've spent the last decade winning BCS bowls and coaching all-americans. Not coaching pop warner.

Compare our situation with Texas and LSU for instance. In order to revamp their offenses LSU and Texas both go out and get guys who've been coaching at top 10 programs and winning BCS bowls. LSU hires a guy like Kragthorpe. Texas gets Harsin from Boise. They get guys who are some of the best in the business, while we settle for unproven gambles because they're Bo's buddies.n

Milt actually recommended Garrison for the job as one of the best young technicians in the game. I'll take that.

We'll just have to disagree. The secondary coach at Bama was a student assistant promoted to video guy to coach as an example where your wrong. You point out those two examples I'll use Bamba , Ohio State U, OU, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Oregon for examples where they built quality staffs from GA's guys at mid majors, high school coaches etc. Its way more common even at top programs to have guys like Bo hired than ones like Florida or Texas hired. Take the time to examine the staffs. Hell just follow football scoop and watch who's getting hired. You'd be very surprised.

Compare our situation with Texas and LSU for instance. In order to revamp their offenses LSU and Texas both go out and get guys who've been coaching at top 10 programs and winning BCS bowls. LSU hires a guy like Kragthorpe. Texas gets Harsin from Boise. They get guys who are some of the best in the business, while we settle for unproven gambles because they're Bo's buddies.

Texas hired Applewhite as an assistant when he had no previous coaching experience. How is hiring Garrison any different?

At least come at me with facts. Applewhite coached at Syracuse, Rice, and Alabama before being hired at Texas. Plus, before being hired by Syracuse he'd at least worked as a GA at Texas whereas as an intern Garrison couldn't even be on the practice field.

He was a gradutate assitant with Appplewhite when he got his start. Settle down.

edit: Sorry I didn't proof read. I was trying to get you apples to apples not someone well into their coaching career vs someone starting.

How else are we supposed to rate these guys right now besides their resumes? :dunno They haven’t coached a down at NU so we have nothing to go but their pasts. :blink::madash

Pretty sure that Sam's point is that maybe we should just wait to see what kind of on-field results they get with our players before we start judging them.

Of course, that won't happen. This is a message board, damnit, and that means we need to be knee-jerk reactionaries with no perspective!

I think it was a response to so many people feeling like we needed to hire a John Gruden or big name to fill these spots. I suppose we could have gotten one big name for the OC but doing that runs a risk if the coaches don't trust each other and don't gel as a staff. The other positions it really wasn't realistic but to be honest. . .average Husker fan is a moron who doesn't understand football, coaching, recruiting, etc like we think we really do. The average fan is too emotional and not rational. I think if people look around the actual sports world they will see the staffs at even Alabama are made up of solid. . no splash hire coaches. I think there was a story the packers even had a coach this year that was coaching high school before they hired him.

People always want to date the prom queen but the reality is . . .we have a better chance of scoring and being happy with the band nerd.

Compare our situation with Texas and LSU for instance. In order to revamp their offenses LSU and Texas both go out and get guys who've been coaching at top 10 programs and winning BCS bowls. LSU hires a guy like Kragthorpe. Texas gets Harsin from Boise. They get guys who are some of the best in the business, while we settle for unproven gambles because they're Bo's buddies.n

Milt actually recommended Garrison for the job as one of the best young technicians in the game. I'll take that.

We'll just have to disagree. The secondary coach at Bama was a student assistant promoted to video guy to coach as an example where your wrong. You point out those two examples I'll use Bamba , Ohio State U, OU, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Oregon for examples where they built quality staffs from GA's guys at mid majors, high school coaches etc. Its way more common even at top programs to have guys like Bo hired than ones like Florida or Texas hired. Take the time to examine the staffs. Hell just follow football scoop and watch who's getting hired. You'd be very surprised.

I think you've confused my point and I have examined staffs. I'll restate what I said earlier. Most top staffs are largely filled with guys with extensive pro and college experience. Guys who have coached from BCS teams and in big bowl games. The guys who come from mid-majors are usually guys who have spent a significant amount of time coaching. I don't think we're too divergent in opinions, but guys taking Fisher/Garrison paths straight to assistant coaching positions at top programs is far more rare than you contend. Both Ohio St. and Bama follow the paradigm I've outlined. Almost all of the guys at Bama have coached in the NFL (many with Saban) or at other SEC schools. Ohio St. is similar: guys with NFL experience, guys with experience at other BCS schools (when they had an opening in the off-season they tapped Drayton, one of the top position coaches in the country), and the guys coming from mid-majors have been cutting out their place there for years. There are no straight from golf-instructors/straight from high school or first time coaching experience guys on this staff. Oregon is somewhat anomalous in that most of their coaches have been there for 15+ years (honestly if we were going to follow the Oregon model we would have retained every coach, they've shown incredible continuity/loyalty). Even then the guys who are newer hires come from other BCS schools or guys with extensive experience at mid-majors, with experience being consider either way. Wisconsin is similar. Again, Garrison/Fisher types are more exception than rule.

Nebraska's current staff is extraordinarily unique compared to other top programs in that we only have 2 coaches that have BCS asst. coach experience outside of Nebraska.

I think you've confused my point and I have examined staffs. I'll restate what I said earlier. Most top staffs are largely filled with guys with extensive pro and college experience. Guys who have coached from BCS teams and in big bowl games. The guys who come from mid-majors are usually guys who have spent a significant amount of time coaching. I don't think we're too divergent in opinions, but guys taking Fisher/Garrison paths straight to assistant coaching positions at top programs is far more rare than you contend. Both Ohio St. and Bama follow the paradigm I've outlined. Almost all of the guys at Bama have coached in the NFL (many with Saban) or at other SEC schools. Ohio St. is similar: guys with NFL experience, guys with experience at other BCS schools (when they had an opening in the off-season they tapped Drayton, one of the top position coaches in the country), and the guys coming from mid-majors have been cutting out their place there for years. There are no straight from golf-instructors/straight from high school or first time coaching experience guys on this staff. Oregon is somewhat anomalous in that most of their coaches have been there for 15+ years (honestly if we were going to follow the Oregon model we would have retained every coach, they've shown incredible continuity/loyalty). Even then the guys who are newer hires come from other BCS schools or guys with extensive experience at mid-majors, with experience being consider either way. Wisconsin is similar. Again, Garrison/Fisher types are more exception than rule.

Nebraska's current staff is extraordinarily unique compared to other top programs in that we only have 2 coaches that have BCS asst. coach experience outside of Nebraska.

so true......let the science experiment begin!

This is really quite clear. This is what happens when a team waits until weeks after the season to start recruiting candidates. Damn near every team in the country was chopping heads the minute their last game finished. Nope, not NU-they apparently screwed around and let everyone with a decent resume get sucked up by someone else. It's quite similar to trying to figure out what to do in mid Feb. after your OC has been turned down by every job in the country, and you're still stuck with him.

Somebody needs to pull their head out, and get with the program-because NU was left picking up table scraps trying to put a staff together.

This is really quite clear. This is what happens when a team waits until weeks after the season to start recruiting candidates. Damn near every team in the country was chopping heads the minute their last game finished. Nope, not NU-they apparently screwed around and let everyone with a decent resume get sucked up by someone else. It's quite similar to trying to figure out what to do in mid Feb. after your OC has been turned down by every job in the country, and you're still stuck with him.

Somebody needs to pull their head out, and get with the program-because NU was left picking up table scraps trying to put a staff together.

Let's refer back to December, Tim Beck basically knew then that he would be the OC. The only position to fill from there was the RBs.

We had more options than just Fisher at the running backs spot.

They should have sh*t canned them after the CCG and then went to work ...... the bowl game was a bust.

I disagree. I wasn't doing cartwheels over filling-up on sleepers but all the guys hired were ones Bo/Carl knew and felt comfortable with. I wouldn't say we were left picking-up scraps because we waited. I'd say we just didn't really look especially hard. Few names were thrown around seriously and it's questionable whether offered Frost more than just position-coach responsibilities or offered Warinner or the Houston guy at all. I think Bo wanted his guys and he has them now. Let's see what happens.

Building a little loyalty couldn't hurt. Giving a coach with little experience, a chance could back fire or it could pay big dividends, as far as keeping a good staff together for a long time. Someone with ten years or pro experience at the position you are asking them to take, as we all well know, doesn't mean success {Bill C]. Do you want a big name hire from the college ranks, that will only be using the position for a quick stepping stone for a head coaching job. If some of these hires Bo is bring in work out, he may have a very loyal staff that will rival what T O, had. There is probably one more move he would like to make, but I don't think he wants to step on Tom's toes on that one.

GBR!!!

Well Bo picked his guys and there is nothing we can do but hope for the best. People are already saying it's going to fail before the staff is even officially announced. It isn't the first time we promoted a GA (see Tom Osborne) nor hire a high school head coach (see Dan Young). This is probably Bo's last chance, let's hope he and TO are better at evaluating coaching talent than us.

• Fire 1