Cody Green

Well, I think that play shows speed, which is the only argument I am trying to engage in currently: that Cody Green is not slow.

I am not using that play to illustrate Cody Green's QB abilities, and since I've never argued that Taylor is slow or unathletic, I don't know what you mean by that. If I had argued such a point, then showing me clips of Martinez doing the same thing would certainly discount my discounting.

I won't dispute that Cody could be a poor fit in our offense (depending on how much changes this year, I guess), I was only responding to the suggestion that he was slow.

If you look at that video, Cody runs from our 35 to their 25 in about five seconds. That's 40 yards in five seconds. Note: 1) He did not start his run at the 35, he started a few yards back. He was at top speed at the 35. 2) he did not run in a straight line, but rather curved to avoid defenders.

Regardless, this is not "speed" in the sense that we think of speed when we talk about a fast player. It shows reasonably average football speed, nothing elite.

That play does not tell me Cody is slow. But it doesn't tell me he's fast, either.

Well, I think that play shows speed, which is the only argument I am trying to engage in currently: that Cody Green is not slow.

I am not using that play to illustrate Cody Green's QB abilities, and since I've never argued that Taylor is slow or unathletic, I don't know what you mean by that. If I had argued such a point, then showing me clips of Martinez doing the same thing would certainly discount my discounting.

I won't dispute that Cody could be a poor fit in our offense (depending on how much changes this year, I guess), I was only responding to the suggestion that he was slow.

count-von-count-sesame-street.jpg

I guess the pedestal Zoogies and I have Martinez on isn't quite as high as the one some other posters on this board have perched him on. (Which is funny because it wasn't long ago this board was ready to bury him) Discounting Cody to prove Martinez's dominance isn't a very good way of justifying Martinez's number 1 spot. Is he the best QB on the roster on 2/15/2011? Based on what we know thus far, without a doubt. Will he still be on 11/15? I don't think anyone can say with certainty that he will. Cody Green was recruited here for a reason. He's bulked up which might affect his speed, but his game is improving. I was just as worried when I saw him enter the game this season as any of you - but it was mainly because of his early fumbles. That shouldn't be a difficult fix - but then again getting Taylor to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack shouldn't have been a difficult fix either.

I guess the pedestal Zoogies and I have Martinez on isn't quite as high as the one some other posters on this board have perched him on. (Which is funny because it wasn't long ago this board was ready to bury him) Discounting Cody to prove Martinez's dominance isn't a very good way of justifying Martinez's number 1 spot. Is he the best QB on the roster on 2/15/2011? Based on what we know thus far, without a doubt. Will he still be on 11/15? I don't think anyone can say with certainty that he will. Cody Green was recruited here for a reason. He's bulked up which might affect his speed, but his game is improving. I was just as worried when I saw him enter the game this season as any of you - but it was mainly because of his early fumbles. That shouldn't be a difficult fix - but then again getting Taylor to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack shouldn't have been a difficult fix either.

I'm not really a Martinez fan. . .but in fairness he was instructed by Wats to take the sack because the injury to his toe was really causing problems with his throwing as well as with his running. As I was told there were times when pressure was applied to his toes that a pain would shoot up into his knee region. For the old people on the board or people who have old parents, think of a gout attack combined with tendonitis. His progression was hindered by a very strained relationship between him and Wats because TM never thought Wats had his back and kept lobbying for Zack Lee and a switch back to the old passing offense. (the relationship being paraphrased from conversations with the right hand of God with a small touch of assumption based on context clues and facial expressions.)

I'm not really a Martinez fan. . .but in fairness he was instructed by Wats to take the sack because the injury to his toe was really causing problems with his throwing as well as with his running. As I was told there were times when pressure was applied to his toes that a pain would shoot up into his knee region. For the old people on the board or people who have old parents, think of a gout attack combined with tendonitis. His progression was hindered by a very strained relationship between him and Wats because TM never thought Wats had his back and kept lobbying for Zack Lee and a switch back to the old passing offense. (the relationship being paraphrased from conversations with the right hand of God with a small touch of assumption based on context clues and facial expressions.)

wow, if i had known all this before now, maybe i wouldn't have been so critical of TM? <_<

wow, if i had known all this before now, maybe i wouldn't have been so critical of TM? <_<

I still think the guy has some leadership issues but really who didn't at that age. Its pretty rare not to and honestly he could be like Tommy Fraizer and guys today are going to react totally different than they did in the mid 90's. Its a total culture and society issue. Today kids expect to much too easy and we as fans do the same asking them to do too much as if they are 9 year veterans of the NFL.

Yup, when you throw the ball out of bounds you need to have your feet under you and be accurate about it. If you sail it a little high, an extra second might run off the clock. Better to just take a sack instead of hitting the water boy when you meant to hit the cheerleader. :sarcasm If this is true, Wats for QB coach of the century.

Yup, when you throw the ball out of bounds you need to have your feet under you and be accurate about it. If you sail it a little high, and extra second might run off the clock. Better to just take a sack instead of hitting the water boy when you mean to hit the cheerleader. :sarcasm

I don't disagree. But I think there are several people out there who had this very conversation over the month of December with coaches and former coaches who were shocked at the information.

Yup, when you throw the ball out of bounds you need to have your feet under you and be accurate about it. If you sail it a little high, an extra second might run off the clock. Better to just take a sack instead of hitting the water boy when you meant to hit the cheerleader. :sarcasm If this is true, Wats for QB coach of the century.

Exactly what I was thinking. How is taking the sack and taking more physical contact on a maimed wheel exactly good? WTF, this honestly can't be true, can it? That within itself is a quip.

And as far as Cody's speed, he is just as quick as Brook was. Brook just was a great reader of the defenses and of course had five road graders infront of him and a couple of Cameros behind him along with a Mack truck.

There are situations where you have to take a sack. If you can't throw it away without intentional grounding, then a good QB knows when to just tuck the ball in and duck down to the turf.

Not exactly what Martinez did. Just stood there and took a monster hit. Almost as a big "f you, happy now?" to his QB coach, it seems. It was unbelievable how many of these situations Taylor landed himself in, which is the bigger problem to begin with.

The alternative would be to scramble around and throw it away (or find someone), but Taylor's lateral speed being what it was, it would have just taken time off the clock and likely increased the loss. Not to mention the risk of Taylor making a bad decision and throwing it into the arms of a defender.

There are situations where you have to take a sack. If you can't throw it away without intentional grounding, then a good QB knows when to just tuck the ball in and duck down to the turf.

Not exactly what Martinez did. Just stood there and took a monster hit. Almost as a big "f you, happy now?" to his QB coach, it seems. It was unbelievable how many of these situations Taylor landed himself in, which is the bigger problem to begin with.

The alternative would be to scramble around and throw it away (or find someone), but Taylor's lateral speed being what it was, it would have just taken time off the clock and likely increased the loss. Not to mention the risk of Taylor making a bad decision and throwing it into the arms of a defender.

i agree, some of those sacks were so pedestrian it looked intentional on his part.....the kid looked punch-drunk and still they wouldn't play Green.....that better not happen again!

Cody just looked like he was out of place...he's looked that way about every game he has been in. I don't know if he feels uncomfortable in the offense or what? Plus, he seems like he's maybe put on some weight and doesn't have the quick feet needed at times. I wonder what would happen if we ran some triple option with some of our QB's? Seems like we have the personnel to really run that!