Husker Baseball

A question for those that are saying the hitting is lacking after the UCLA series. Did any of you actually GO to any of these games or did you just pick up the next days newspaper and/or catch the 20 seconds of highlights on TV?

There is reasoning behind what a lot of us that saying about Gerrit Cole, Trevor Bauer, and even Adam Putko to an extent, and that they are that GOOD. Maybe you had to to see it first hand to honestly comprehend, but you really don't. Cole and Bauer will be high first rounders and both absolutely owned the mound. They will make most teams struggle day in and day out. And the weather only made them even more effective. To give you a better idea about these two, think about Joba and GI Johnny in their prime, now take it up another half a notch They are that good.

For those that got out and watched both teams play this weekend, you got to see some special talents that probably will be making a return trip to Nebraska this summer. You also got the added bonus of seeing NU's staff pitch just as slendidly, something that hopefully continues throughout the season.

I went to the CWS games last year and both Cole, and Bauer were amazingly outstanding. None the less this is a huge series win for Nebraska over a top 5 team. Let's see if we can follow this up with a sweep of Fresno State! I will be attending the Friday and Saturday games with my girlfriend (Her first Husker Baseball game).

A question for those that are saying the hitting is lacking after the UCLA series. Did any of you actually GO to any of these games or did you just pick up the next days newspaper and/or catch the 20 seconds of highlights on TV?

There is reasoning behind what a lot of us that saying about Gerrit Cole, Trevor Bauer, and even Adam Putko to an extent, and that they are that GOOD. Maybe you had to to see it first hand to honestly comprehend, but you really don't. Cole and Bauer will be high first rounders and both absolutely owned the mound. They will make most teams struggle day in and day out. And the weather only made them even more effective. To give you a better idea about these two, think about Joba and GI Johnny in their prime, now take it up another half a notch They are that good.

For those that got out and watched both teams play this weekend, you got to see some special talents that probably will be making a return trip to Nebraska this summer. You also got the added bonus of seeing NU's staff pitch just as slendidly, something that hopefully continues throughout the season.

I was at all three games and have to say that the pitching staff for UCLA is unreal COle hit 100 4 times on friday Bauer threw 129 pitches and threw his fastest pitch in the 10th inning.....the hitting also suffered from a couple at 'em balls, wind, and some great catches in the outfield by UCLA

Huskers coming schedule is extremely weak. Our current home record is 4 - 3 and overall record is 9-6. (Disappointing but could be worse.) We haven't any schools on the schedule until Oklahoma that can match UCLA and Fresno State's talent. With 23 games before Oklahoma, what would be a respectable record going into the Oklahoma game? Is it entirely to much to expect less then 3 losses? After seeing what the Husker's softball team is doing, I personally think anything more then 2 losses is a let down. (They've rattled off 18 wins and 1 loss of including wins over top 20 teams and ofc over #1 Florida)

28 - 10 = (4 more losses) << to me is way below what our standards and expectations should be.

Tue, Mar 15 South Dakota State - Hawks Field

Wed, Mar 16 Kansas State - - at Manhattan, Kan.

Fri, Mar 18 North Dakota - Hawks Field

Sat, Mar 19 North Dakota (DH) Hawks Field

Sun, Mar 20 North Dakota - - Hawks Field

Tue, Mar 22 Northern Colorado - Hawks Field

Wed, Mar 23 Northern Colorado - Hawks Field

Fri, Mar 25 Texas Tech * - - at Lubbock, Texas

Sat, Mar 26 Texas Tech * - - at Lubbock, Texas

Sun, Mar 27 Texas Tech * - - at Lubbock, Texas

Wed, Mar 30 Doane College - Hawks Field

Fri, Apr 01 Oklahoma State * - Hawks Field

Sat, Apr 02 Oklahoma State * - Hawks Field

Sun, Apr 03 Oklahoma State * - Hawks Field

Tue, Apr 05 Creighton - - Hawks Field

Fri, Apr 08 Kansas * - - at Lawrence, Kan.

Sat, Apr 09 Kansas * - - at Lawrence, Kan.

Sun, Apr 10 Kansas * - - at Lawrence, Kan.

Tue, Apr 12 Wichita State - - at Wichita, Kan.

Fri, Apr 15 Kansas State * - Hawks Field

Sat, Apr 16 Kansas State * - Hawks Field

Sun, Apr 17 Kansas State * - Hawks Field

Tue, Apr 19 Creighton - - at TD Ameritrade Park

Is anyone planning to attend the KU series April 8-9-10 in Lawrence? Our NE Kansas Club is thinking of organizing a tailgate before/after the game on Saturday, the 9th (2:00 first pitch). We've done these in the past and had a great time! Let me know if you may be coming down so I can get an idea of interest...GBR!

Serious issues..

Northern Colorado has one win. They were just swept (17-4, 13-2, 2-0, 9-1) by their weekend opponent South Dakota State and we struggle to win? Seriously, I know this is Anderwatson's Alma Mater but scoring only 5 runs against this team is scary at best. I attended last nights game. Great atmosphere as would be expected. Weather was awesome! and the wind wasn't a factor. Had we been playing a confident team we'd have gone into extra innings. The run in the 9th inning was a result of a kid rushing the throw. He had time to make it but panicked.

Newman's pitching philosophy seems to be "throw a fastball first" then "if" ahead, let the pitchers nibble. Seemed to me that Northern's batters were swinging at the first pitch constantly and in the first inning were sitting on the fastball. Our pitching is obviously improved from last year and one wonders if Erstad has had some influence with the improvements. Maybe via a chat with Newman to get him to call for more off speed and not just throw heat. Maybe its just Newman having confidence in those on the mound? Whatever it is, I'm looking forward to the continued maturation of our pitchers.

My "pre-conference" play grading (would like to hear from others)

Competition: B- (RPI has us in the mid to late 80's. Could be better but could be much worse.)

Big 12 caliber competion: C- (Sam Houston State, Texas St, UCLA, Fresno State, Kansas St.) our record is 4-6 against the better competition. This doesn't show much hope.

Starting Pitching: A- (no starting pitcher has been rocked and they've faced some strong teams)

Bull Pen: B- (without Casey Hauptman the grade would be much lower. I'm concerned his success against the Big 12 will be slow as he's struggled in his last two appearances.)

Defense: C+ (we continue to make defense mistakes (errors) and its cost us. In last nights game a defensive hesitation in the first inning led to 3 runs scored. Continue this and our Big 12 success will be at or near the bottom of the conference. On the other hand, our fielding % is up from a year ago.)

Runs Scored: C (Anderson is trying small ball and in the big games he's stayed aggressive. Both good things. Still, we seemingly struggle to score and entirely too often we get the lead off runner on and can't get him across the plate. This has to improve for us to make a run in the Big 12)

Hitting: B- (Some may see this as a high mark however, our hitters are getting the bat on the ball, drawing walks and showing discipline. This gives us a chance to catch fire. Question is, can we?)

Walks / Plate Discipline: B- (Currently 6th in the Big 12 OB% at .382 with a slugging % of .435 and in 4th place within the conference. Those numbers are average and will likely drop in conference play. Improvement must occur if we are to contend for a conference championship.)

My projection: (not worth anything but for me to refer back to when the sker's make me eat crow.)

1. I don't see our stats improving as we will be facing much stiffer competition. Against average talent we've struggled to score runs. Yes we scored against North Dakota State but lets face it, they are only recently a Div 1 team.

2. I see us ending conference play at best in 5th place. OU, Texas, A&M and Baylor are all better. The skers first conference foes (Tech and Okie St) should reveal our final standings. Win those series and we contend with Baylor for a regional invite. Split those two and we likely struggle to receive an at large invite. Lose both and our chances for regional play are gone without series wins over the Big 12's top teams.

3. Big 12 talent is deep but not scary deep. Texas is probably the team to beat with A&M close behind. For the skers to get into a regional we will have to win one of those series and avoid a sweep in the other. Texas is home, A&M and OU are on the road. The series loss against Fresno State is looking darker by the day.

4. My conference projection,

Texas and A&M contend for the conference championship and super regional host sites.

OU and Baylor are regional site hosts.

If the skers can win the first two series then NU, Okie State and Tech contend for 2 at large bids.

Reality, sadly, NU finishes in 8th place:

Texas A&M wins the conference title.

Texas

OU

Baylor

Okie State

Texas Tech

K State

Nebraska

Kansas

Missouri

Hope others will also post.

• Fire 1

Hmm....

We change our starting pitching rotation.

We barely get two innings out of our game 2 starter.

We tie the game up and can't hold it.

Game 3, we return to dead bats. No rally behind Asche and...

We lose the series.

I ask myself, why did we put Lemke back in the rotation? (The dude's confidence in his arm hasn't returned.)

I ask myself, where is the protest on the crash that sent a starter to the hospital? (Anderson should have been so animated that he gets ejected.)

I ask myself, why no rally, no emotion?

My conclusion to all the above. Our players are a product of the men coaching them. No emotion, no confidence, nothing but robots that play the game in a robotic fashion. Sadly, my projected finish is appearing more realistic by the day.

Huskers 6, Div II Doane College 0 (and our coach is "ok" with the day)

another lack luster offensive performance.

8 hits, 8 runners left on base

6 runs scored against a Div 2 school.

caught stealing 3 times, picked off once, lead off runner walks and is stranded on 3rd

and the icing on the cake, Anderwatson's comments:

"There is a little different style," head coach Mike Anderson said. "I thought our guys were a little over aggressive. Some got themselves into some trouble that way and (then) they got themselves out, but that is part of what happens sometimes on a Tuesday and Wednesday. I was ok with it, I felt good about the day."

and there are people both here and in the program that will totally agree with him. Pathetic!

Huskers 6, Div II Doane College 0 (and our coach is "ok" with the day)

another lack luster offensive performance.

8 hits, 8 runners left on base

6 runs scored against a Div 2 school.

caught stealing 3 times, picked off once, lead off runner walks and is stranded on 3rd

and the icing on the cake, Anderwatson's comments:

"There is a little different style," head coach Mike Anderson said. "I thought our guys were a little over aggressive. Some got themselves into some trouble that way and (then) they got themselves out, but that is part of what happens sometimes on a Tuesday and Wednesday. I was ok with it, I felt good about the day."

and there are people both here and in the program that will totally agree with him. Pathetic!

First off Doane is NAIA not Division II. But don't think they were awestruck today, they just played the Phillies AAA club.

As for the game, what do you overly expect for a crappy weather, midweek game against a team that is completely foreign? Seriously, take the win and get over the Anderson hating for the result today. A coach can tell a team to take another seriously, but that doesn't always register in the brains of 18-22 year olds. Secondly baseball is a game where the little guy can knock off the big guy very easily. One good pitcher, on any given day can own an offensive club. Saw on the highlights the Doane pitcher had a 3/4 to sidearm delivery and guess what that takes a little time to get used to when it comes to finding the ball out of the delivery.

And once again this offensive performance falls on Anderson's head how? Maybe we should start harping on Erstad now? Christ, take off your Anderson hating glasses and be happy with a win, and when you have an actual gripe about MA, I'll probably listen and even side with ya, but until that point you have been WAY off.

Paul, I respect your posts but like you, I too in the past have given Anderson chance after chance after chance. I defended him way to often in the past and have reached the breaking point. "If" you want reason's then look at what Servis has done for Creighton or what Childress has done at A&M. Better yet, Dan Heefner at Dallas Baptist, Rick Jones at Tulane or Rob Walton at Oral Roberts. Somehow, even with the deadening of the bats these coaches are pushing runs across and doing it without the facility and fan base that our current manager has. Excuses are nothing more then inabilities and Anderwatson's philosophies haven't been able to produce runs "ever". Maybe your right, maybe we should start to question Erstad but... he at least has a true excuse. He's only been there for a few months.

I've said before, I'll say it again. The best managers make good players play like great players. We had that with Van Horn, we had that with Childress but we don't have it now. Honestly, after the performance in Lubbock one would think the coach would have lit a fire under the bench and if the current lineup can't score runs then maybe its time the bench is given a shot.

Paul, I respect your posts but like you, I too in the past have given Anderson chance after chance after chance. I defended him way to often in the past and have reached the breaking point. "If" you want reason's then look at what Servis has done for Creighton or what Childress has done at A&M. Better yet, Dan Heefner at Dallas Baptist, Rick Jones at Tulane or Rob Walton at Oral Roberts. Somehow, even with the deadening of the bats these coaches are pushing runs across and doing it without the facility and fan base that our current manager has. Excuses are nothing more then inabilities and Anderwatson's philosophies haven't been able to produce runs "ever". Maybe your right, maybe we should start to question Erstad but... he at least has a true excuse. He's only been there for a few months.

I've said before, I'll say it again. The best managers make good players play like great players. We had that with Van Horn, we had that with Childress but we don't have it now. Honestly, after the performance in Lubbock one would think the coach would have lit a fire under the bench and if the current lineup can't score runs then maybe its time the bench is given a shot.

The best managers make good players play like great players- This is the only comment I agree with!!!! You can not compare Creighton to Nebraska. DBU is independent....REALLY???? Oral Roberts is in the Summit....your out of your mind!!!! People in Texas say, "don't go to A&M if your a hitter" Van Horn, with those facilities, underachieves. HuskerHacker, welcome to the year 2011...Anderson DOES NOT have anything to do with the BATS, Erstad does. Oh, and by the way, Nebraska is second in Big 12 in runs scored.

@Turn2

We are second in runs scored and 7th in RPI. Take away the games against Div 2 talent and you lose your argument.

Can't compare NU with the others? Really?

Texas A&M is rank 13

Arkansas RPI is rank 32

Crighton's RPI is rank 80

Nebraksa RPI is rank 100 (wow, impressive right?)

Oral Roberts is rank 121

Additionally, the only school in the big 12 with a lower RPI then the sker's is Kansas State and you actually had the gall to argue what was a fair comparison. Seriously, I'd damn sure hope the sker's would be at or near the top of conference in runs scored. Next you'll be saying we can't compare our stats to those of Texas State or Sam Houston State because we aren't in Texas and can't play the southern schedule.

I anger you (and others) because I've tired of Anderson's inability to get the most out of his players and vocalize my frustration. Truth hurts and reality is just that. Look around and wake up. Kansas is better then us, Kansas State is better, Texas Tech is better and none of them are traditional powerhouse baseball schools. Outside of Missouri (and for the last 4 years they too have been better) what school in the big 12 has a less impressive season? Answer: NONE

Nebraska has the top facility in the Big 12.

Nebraska spent money on the program to ensure Dave Van Horn could recruit.

Nebraska spent the money to ensure we had the facility to get regional and super regional bids. (We have to win first though)

Nebraska fans continue to show up and support in awesome fashion.

The baseball program was on fire and since the departure of Childress, the fire has steadily died. The spark is still there but Anderson is not the coach/manager to ignite it. The season is quickly falling through the cracks and the stadium that once provided intimidation, confidence and incredible mystic once again will sit empty and quiet in June. I don't know about you but mediocrity isn't something I'm proud of. Haymarket Park isn't proud of it either. Haymarket yearns for June competition, the sound of children's screams, the voice of fired up fan's, the gasp of a successful double play and the incredible sound of a jubilation ending in a dog pile from it's beloved home players. The lack of June appearances haunts the once storied walls of a proud ball park. If this season isn't the make it or break it season for Anderwatson then what season will be? How many more excuses can we come up with? Our record against teams with a higher RPI is sickening and you all seemingly want to hide behind the same curtains that Cubs fans do while accepting mediocrity. Flame me if you want but By George do it with concrete stats and expect me to flame back. Erstad is not the issue, Anderson is. If anything, Erstad's arrival has provided hope.

Reflecting on the past, if you recall mr Turn2, when Childress was here it was him who would walk the line to the umpire and be thrown out, NOT Anderwatson. These kids, just like the football program, need to have a coach that can fire them up. Callahan once said "its not my job to get these young men fired up to play another elite program". Well, we all know where he is now and like Callahan, Anderwatson needs to take a page from the other successful coaches at NU and learn what it means to have a group of young minds ready to compete. We didn't lose home series under Van Horn because the young men refused to place this type of pressure on his shoulders. They understood it was their responsibility to win and excuses weren't accepted. Like them, you too shouldn't accept excuses. We have the pitching, we have the defense. Its time we find the manager.

@Turn2

We are second in runs scored and 7th in RPI. Take away the games against Div 2 talent and you lose your argument.

Texas A&M is rank 13

Arkansas RPI is rank 32

Oral Roberts is rank 121

Additionally, the only school in the big 12 with a lower RPI then the sker's is Kansas State and you actually had the gall to argue what was a fair comparison. Seriously, I'd damn sure hope the sker's would be at or near the top of conference in runs scored. Next you'll be saying we can't compare our stats to those of Texas State or Sam Houston State because we aren't in Texas and can't play the southern schedule.

I anger you (and others) because I've tired of Anderson's inability to get the most out of his players and vocalize my frustration. Truth hurts and reality is just that. Look around and wake up. Kansas is better then us, Kansas State is better, Texas Tech is better and none of them are traditional powerhouse baseball schools. Outside of Missouri (and for the last 4 years they too have been better) what school in the big 12 has a less impressive season? Answer: NONE

Nebraska spent the money to ensure we had the facility to get regional and super regional bids. (We have to win first though)

The baseball program was on fire and since the departure of Childress, the fire has steadily died. The spark is still there but Anderson is not the coach/manager to ignite it. The season is quickly falling through the cracks and the stadium that once provided intimidation, confidence and incredible mystic once again will sit empty and quiet in June. I don't know about you but mediocrity isn't something I'm proud of. Haymarket Park isn't proud of it either. Haymarket yearns for June competition, the sound of children's screams, the voice of fired up fan's, the gasp of a successful double play and the incredible sound of a jubilation ending in a dog pile from it's beloved home players. The lack of June appearances haunts the once storied walls of a proud ball park. If this season isn't the make it or break it season for Anderwatson then what season will be? How many more excuses can we come up with? Our record against teams with a higher RPI is sickening and you all seemingly want to hide behind the same curtains that Cubs fans do while accepting mediocrity. Flame me if you want but By George do it with concrete stats and expect me to flame back. Erstad is not the issue, Anderson is. If anything, Erstad's arrival has provided hope.

Reflecting on the past, if you recall mr Turn2, when Childress was here it was him who would walk the line to the umpire and be thrown out, NOT Anderwatson. These kids, just like the football program, need to have a coach that can fire them up. Callahan once said "its not my job to get these young men fired up to play another elite program". Well, we all know where he is now and like Callahan, Anderwatson needs to take a page from the other successful coaches at NU and learn what it means to have a group of young minds ready to compete. We didn't lose home series under Van Horn because the young men refused to place this type of pressure on his shoulders. They understood it was their responsibility to win and excuses weren't accepted. Like them, you too shouldn't accept excuses. We have the pitching, we have the defense. Its time we find the manager.

HuskerHacker,

You don't anger me, you frustrate me. Posters all over the net use message boards to ventilate their frustration about their schools head coaches. Since most of these posters have some intelligence, they can use stats, compare apples to oranges, to make their points. Additionally, they will misrepresent the information (intentionally or unintentionally); i.e blaming Coach Anderson for our poor offensive out put when he has nothing to do with our offense except coaching third. I know what you are going to say, "coaching third has a huge impact on our offense". This would be true if he was still giving our best hitters the take sign with 3-1 or 2-0 counts, but he isn't. Coach Erstad is in control of our hitters approaches! Anderson calls hit and runs, bunts, suicide squezze....approach is Erstad. Bases loaded K's with less than 2 outs is and approach issue. Lack of 2 out knocks with runners in scoring position is an execution/approach issue. One of the fewest base on balls in Big 12, approach. NOT TRYING TO THROW ERSTAD UNDER THE BUS! I believe the team is still transitioning from one philosophy to Erstad's and this takes time. I was simply trying to make a point.

Let's substract our runs scored against Doane and UN Kearney and compare our runs per game scored to; Oral Roberts, Creighton and DBU. Haven't done the math but I would bet we would fair pretty well.

Again, why can't we talk baseball instead about coaches. I am sorry that I got this involved with this discussion!

@Turn2

Texas A&M is rank 13

Arkansas RPI is rank 32

Oral Roberts is rank 121

HuskerHacker,

You don't anger me, you frustrate me. Posters all over the net use message boards to ventilate their frustration about their schools head coaches. Since most of these posters have some intelligence, they can use stats, compare apples to oranges, to make their points. Additionally, they will misrepresent the information (intentionally or unintentionally); i.e blaming Coach Anderson for our poor offensive out put when he has nothing to do with our offense except coaching third. I know what you are going to say, "coaching third has a huge impact on our offense". This would be true if he was still giving our best hitters the take sign with 3-1 or 2-0 counts, but he isn't. Coach Erstad is in control of our hitters approaches! Anderson calls hit and runs, bunts, suicide squezze....approach is Erstad. Bases loaded K's with less than 2 outs is and approach issue. Lack of 2 out knocks with runners in scoring position is an execution/approach issue. One of the fewest base on balls in Big 12, approach. NOT TRYING TO THROW ERSTAD UNDER THE BUS! I believe the team is still transitioning from one philosophy to Erstad's and this takes time. I was simply trying to make a point.

Let's substract our runs scored against Doane and UN Kearney and compare our runs per game scored to; Oral Roberts, Creighton and DBU. Haven't done the math but I would bet we would fair pretty well.

Again, why can't we talk baseball instead about coaches. I am sorry that I got this involved with this discussion!

Don't be... It's incredibly entertaining for the rest of us. :clap