Thinner Playbook

I am certainly glad to hear that we are going to a "thinner playbook". That seemed to be one of the biggest issues we had under our former OC. It took till you were a junior or a senior to be able to fully utilize the offense. I think this was a big factor in CG not developing---he was trying to "play the playbook" instead of just going out there and "playing football".

It very much sounds like Bo wants the offence ran like the defense is ran. His D guys don't learn plays they learn football so if a play breaks down then they are still making good judgments. I was most excited to read that tid-bit. .........is it fall yet? After watching that old pump up video and reading what Bo said, the Kool-aid is flowing in my house again.

with the poor performance against washington in the bowl game, bo decided to change, with the thoughts that the continued old staff may some day cost him his job....this is bo,s second attempt to build a team that husker fans will like, hopefully it will work this time around. everyone has got to remember, watson was bo,s choice , and if tm was healthy, would probably still be on the staff

Yes, the problem last year was we ran too many plays.

<_<

I think having an OC that tried to out guess the defense rather than do what was working was a large part of the problem.

It worked out rather spectacularly many times before injuries set in, most notably against Missouri and Oklahoma State. It was even a great plan we brought against Texas, and I don't think we stood much of any chance at all without it.

<_<

I think having an OC that tried to out guess the defense rather than do what was working was a large part of the problem.

It worked out rather spectacularly many times before injuries set in, most notably against Missouri and Oklahoma State. It was even a great plan we brought against Texas, and I don't think we stood much of any chance at all without it.

It's not that being too complex or having too thick of a playbook resulted in poor strategy or poor gameplanning. It's that it resulted in a lack of understanding from our players, and as a result we executed poorly.

I think the idea going forward is to create a system on our offense that our players can understand as thoroughly as our defensive players understand their system. We don't want to just teach and practice plays, we want to teach concepts, which will result in a deeper understanding of the game, and hopefully better execution.

I am sure hoping that we end up with an offense that can adjust during the game about half as well as the defense can. That is one thing the Pelinis can do that Callahan absolutely could not....if we were behind at the half under Callahan....turn out the lights..the party was likely over. Not true with Bo. Bo can coach. He has picked coaches with a similar philosophy. I just think Watson had some sort of a game plan an could not see the forest for the trees when it started going bad.......I'm excited about this spring and next fall. Even though we have one helluva tough schedule, absolutely cannot wait. OH...and btw...kudos to Doc's team for beating the mighty Longhorns...something our football team couldn't do...lol...

<_<

quit defending Watson.

<_<

It's not that being too complex or having too thick of a playbook resulted in poor strategy or poor gameplanning. It's that it resulted in a lack of understanding from our players, and as a result we executed poorly.

I think the idea going forward is to create a system on our offense that our players can understand as thoroughly as our defensive players understand their system. We don't want to just teach and practice plays, we want to teach concepts, which will result in a deeper understanding of the game, and hopefully better execution.

yes, Cotton are you listening? :o