Tim Beck" You can't be afraid to start over and junk everything."

omahapanda

Good lord you guys are good at missing the point.

To recycle the anti-Brion argument, there is absolutely nothing from Beck that has shown he deserves either patience or confidence, both of which he is being given now in boatloads. The one game all year he had a heavy hand in, was a disaster. Not that I blame it on him, but that's what it was. So if you want to use that one game, or any of the other games last year where the team was not healthy at critical positions, as an indication of how good the offense was last year, I don't know what to tell ya.

The offense got into a post-injury funk last season. Prior to that, it was rolling pretty good. No effing clue where all this dramatic "nothing is ever Shawn Watson's fault" is coming from. All of this that I said, is in response to guys claiming that our offense was the worst offense in the world last year and we just can't possibly get any lower. And other stuff like 'HE f'ing BLOWS! its fact'

Ah. That comes from the fact that, to my knowledge, after reading literally hundreds of posts you've written about the offensive woes over the past couple of years, I do not recall you ever singling Watson out for blame. It was Bo's decision, Martinez' failure, Cotton's line sucked, the defense gave up the lead, etc, etc, etc. If you really want me to, I'll go back and link to post after post after post where you've said this.

That's where this is coming from. It's not that we're good at missing the point. It's that you've been very consistent in your rhetoric, and I'm just adding the latest guy to the list.

And I think it can be said that you and others who share your views are also missing the point. Yes, you can look at numbers and show that last year's offense was not actually the worst ever. (Damn close, though, and saying, "It can't get much worse than last year" just doesn't have the same ring to it.) But the point is that for more than a few games---some of which occurred before the ankle injury heard 'round the world---our offense could not have gotten much worse. And yes, I am talking about SDSU and Texas. Sure, we piled up gaudy numbers against defensive patsies like WKU, Idaho, Washington, K State, and Okie State, but we also failed to score a TD against Texas and managed just two TDs against I-AA SDSU. I can hear you already: "The game plan at Texas was sound it just wasn't executed properly because our guys dropped a bunch of passes." Well, it's true we dropped a few key passes, but a few unfortunate drops does not excuse an offense from failing to get into the endzone at all. If dropped passes were the problem, why didn't we just throw more? Even if we were dropping every other ball we threw, why not throw twice as many and you'll end up the same? Instead, Watson was content to let Martinez and Helu get stuffed (or fumble) on runs that were doomed from the start.

And don't even get me started about the offensive disaster that was Texas A&M, the second half of Oklahoma, and Washington (Pt. II). Everyone assumes that we did poorly because Martinez was not 100%, but I think it's just as likely that you all are assuming Martinez wasn't 100% simply because we did poorly. I'm sure the ankle didn't help, but that just goes back to Watson's inability to take lemons and make lemonade. In case he hadn't noticed, football is a contact sport and injuries are likely to occur to key personnel. Any coordinator can just fold up the tent and go home once a key player goes down; the good ones find a way to work around it. (Take, for example, our defense.) And forgive me if I think Nebraska deserves a good offensive coordinator.

I could go on, but the point I'm making is that, at times (and particularly against decent defenses), our offense could literally not get much worse. Is there some risk for next in trashing the whole offense and starting from scratch? Sure. But if you believe as I do that it will result in a better system in the long run, then I am more than willing to give up Watson's inconsistent Frankenstein offense that was happy to take centerstage against mediocre defenses, but frequently failed to show up against decent ones.

And that right there is the forest and the trees.

You're right, to a point, but they really really really had to complete those passes to stop Texas from loading the box. It's just how it goes. Any team would have struggled with that offense (zonereadapalooza) without the passes to loosen up the run D. With Nebraska's scheme and Texas's defense those passes were literally everything.

1. The 2010 offense, especially post-Martinez injury, sucked. If it didn't majorly have to do with Watson, then Watson wouldn't have resigned (/been fired) only to take an inferior job at an inferior program.

2. We lost to Texas because of dropped passes. That is the reason. There is no other reason. You can't run the ball if the other team knows you can't pass, and you can't pass if your receivers drop the ball. Your offense isn't going to score if you can't run, and you can't pass, and they're not going to score when you drop 3 sure touchdown passes, AND your offense can be as bad as a high school team as long as you win. We lost by a touchdown against Texas. We catch TWO of those passes that we dropped, and we win.

We lost to Texas because of dropped passes. That is the reason. There is no other reason. NONE.

3. As far as Tim Beck goes, all we have right now is his rhetoric. That said, I like his rhetoric more than Wats. However, my favorite thing is what he said about the running backs. That the guys coming in right now (Green and Abdullah) have been told they need to get ready for a change, that they need to get stronger and meaner, that now that they're running backs at Nebraska, they have a standard to live up to. And then Beck said, "Who better to coach that than Ron Brown?" That got me unbelievably pumped about this staff.

I remember when our 5-deep at RB was Lawrence Phillips, Damon Benning, Clinton Childs, Jay Sims, and Ahman Green. I like hearing coaches talk about Nebraska football like it's Nebraska football, and nothing else.

I try to so hard not to be an armchair qb because at the end of the day we're running off hearsay and incomplete information, but if I don't see some roll out passes this year I'm going to poke my eyes out. Did we junk those at at some point, never have them, or am I misremembering and they were called all the time and just not executed?

1. The 2010 offense, especially post-Martinez injury, sucked. If it didn't majorly have to do with Watson, then Watson wouldn't have resigned (/been fired) only to take an inferior job at an inferior program.

2. We lost to Texas because of dropped passes. That is the reason. There is no other reason. You can't run the ball if the other team knows you can't pass, and you can't pass if your receivers drop the ball. Your offense isn't going to score if you can't run, and you can't pass, and they're not going to score when you drop 3 sure touchdown passes, AND your offense can be as bad as a high school team as long as you win. We lost by a touchdown against Texas. We catch TWO of those passes that we dropped, and we win.

We lost to Texas because of dropped passes. That is the reason. There is no other reason. NONE.

3. As far as Tim Beck goes, all we have right now is his rhetoric. That said, I like his rhetoric more than Wats. However, my favorite thing is what he said about the running backs. That the guys coming in right now (Green and Abdullah) have been told they need to get ready for a change, that they need to get stronger and meaner, that now that they're running backs at Nebraska, they have a standard to live up to. And then Beck said, "Who better to coach that than Ron Brown?" That got me unbelievably pumped about this staff.

I remember when our 5-deep at RB was Lawrence Phillips, Damon Benning, Clinton Childs, Jay Sims, and Ahman Green. I like hearing coaches talk about Nebraska football like it's Nebraska football, and nothing else.

Give it up compadre'. You would think even the most casual NU fan could see that but.....NOOOOOooooo!!!......"Tmart was sh*t that game"!

Heh, this is Huskerboard. That's the way it is.

we lost to texas because our offensive line is and was pathetic.......

wait someone has to bring up penalties and the big12 ref vendetta against us. now its complete deja vu

To recycle the anti-Brion argument, there is absolutely nothing from Beck that has shown he deserves either patience or confidence, both of which he is being given now in boatloads. The one game all year he had a heavy hand in, was a disaster. Not that I blame it on him, but that's what it was. So if you want to use that one game, or any of the other games last year where the team was not healthy at critical positions, as an indication of how good the offense was last year, I don't know what to tell ya.

The offense got into a post-injury funk last season. Prior to that, it was rolling pretty good. No effing clue where all this dramatic "nothing is ever Shawn Watson's fault" is coming from. All of this that I said, is in response to guys claiming that our offense was the worst offense in the world last year and we just can't possibly get any lower. And other stuff like 'HE f'ing BLOWS! its fact'

Ah. That comes from the fact that, to my knowledge, after reading literally hundreds of posts you've written about the offensive woes over the past couple of years, I do not recall you ever singling Watson out for blame. It was Bo's decision, Martinez' failure, Cotton's line sucked, the defense gave up the lead, etc, etc, etc. If you really want me to, I'll go back and link to post after post after post where you've said this.

That's where this is coming from. It's not that we're good at missing the point. It's that you've been very consistent in your rhetoric, and I'm just adding the latest guy to the list.

And I think it can be said that you and others who share your views are also missing the point. Yes, you can look at numbers and show that last year's offense was not actually the worst ever. (Damn close, though, and saying, "It can't get much worse than last year" just doesn't have the same ring to it.) But the point is that for more than a few games---some of which occurred before the ankle injury heard 'round the world---our offense could not have gotten much worse. And yes, I am talking about SDSU and Texas. Sure, we piled up gaudy numbers against defensive patsies like WKU, Idaho, Washington, K State, and Okie State, but we also failed to score a TD against Texas and managed just two TDs against I-AA SDSU. I can hear you already: "The game plan at Texas was sound it just wasn't executed properly because our guys dropped a bunch of passes." Well, it's true we dropped a few key passes, but a few unfortunate drops does not excuse an offense from failing to get into the endzone at all. If dropped passes were the problem, why didn't we just throw more? Even if we were dropping every other ball we threw, why not throw twice as many and you'll end up the same? Instead, Watson was content to let Martinez and Helu get stuffed (or fumble) on runs that were doomed from the start.

And don't even get me started about the offensive disaster that was Texas A&M, the second half of Oklahoma, and Washington (Pt. II). Everyone assumes that we did poorly because Martinez was not 100%, but I think it's just as likely that you all are assuming Martinez wasn't 100% simply because we did poorly. I'm sure the ankle didn't help, but that just goes back to Watson's inability to take lemons and make lemonade. In case he hadn't noticed, football is a contact sport and injuries are likely to occur to key personnel. Any coordinator can just fold up the tent and go home once a key player goes down; the good ones find a way to work around it. (Take, for example, our defense.) And forgive me if I think Nebraska deserves a good offensive coordinator.

I could go on, but the point I'm making is that, at times (and particularly against decent defenses), our offense could literally not get much worse. Is there some risk for next in trashing the whole offense and starting from scratch? Sure. But if you believe as I do that it will result in a better system in the long run, then I am more than willing to give up Watson's inconsistent Frankenstein offense that was happy to take centerstage against mediocre defenses, but frequently failed to show up against decent ones.

I'm not sure if you think you're disagreeing with me or not, but I don't think you are. I don't disagree with anything you posted up there. My response to Señor zoogies was in regards to his lack of blame for Watson. For a couple of years now it's been Bo's fault, Cotton's fault, Lee/Martinez' fault, anyone's fault but Watson.

I think you're more disagreeing with Herr zoogies than with me, because what you're saying is what I've been saying all along.

So our offense in 2009/2010 was SLIGHTLY better than the worst, rock-bottom offensive performances in modern Nebraska history? Even then we didn't do much better than the the worst offensive performances in recent memory in the only category that matters: Points per game.

Ever take a statement a tad too literally, and in the process, lose the forest for the trees?

1973 – 25.5

1975 – 30.6

1977 – 26.3

2002 – 27.4

2003 – 24.8

2004 – 25.0

2005 – 24.7

2009 – 25.1

2010 – 30.9

Did I take that blanket statement to literally again? :dunno

Once in a blue moon

I make a mountain out of a molehill or I put all my eggs in one basket or I put the cart before the horse or I use a lot when a little will do or I have my head in the clouds or mud in my eye or I have an axe to grind or I’m dumb as dirt or I’m lost like a ball in high weeds

I don’t want to make waves or beat a dead horse or appear as sour as a green apple or be a stick in the mud or stir up an ant’s nest or have a cow or muddy the water

So I will nip it in the bud because there’s no time like the present to take time to smell the roses and come down to earth to find common ground because this argument is for the birds.

Have a nice day. :cheers:thumbs

• Fire 2

I'm not sure if you think you're disagreeing with me or not, but I don't think you are. I don't disagree with anything you posted up there. My response to Señor zoogies was in regards to his lack of blame for Watson. For a couple of years now it's been Bo's fault, Cotton's fault, Lee/Martinez' fault, anyone's fault but Watson.

I think you're more disagreeing with Herr zoogies than with me, because what you're saying is what I've been saying all along.

No, sir. Not disagreeing with you at all. You and I are on the same page 100%.

Still throwin' sh#t at the wall hopin' it sticks I see.

So our offense in 2009/2010 was SLIGHTLY better than the worst, rock-bottom offensive performances in modern Nebraska history? Even then we didn't do much better than the the worst offensive performances in recent memory in the only category that matters: Points per game.

Ever take a statement a tad too literally, and in the process, lose the forest for the trees?

1973 – 25.5

1975 – 30.6

1977 – 26.3

2002 – 27.4

2003 – 24.8

2004 – 25.0

2005 – 24.7

2009 – 25.1

2010 – 30.9

Did I take that blanket statement to literally again? :dunno

Once in a blue moon

I make a mountain out of a molehill or I put all my eggs in one basket or I put the cart before the horse or I use a lot when a little will do or I have my head in the clouds or mud in my eye or I have an axe to grind or I’m dumb as dirt or I’m lost like a ball in high weeds

I don’t want to make waves or beat a dead horse or appear as sour as a green apple or be a stick in the mud or stir up an ant’s nest or have a cow or muddy the water

So I will nip it in the bud because there’s no time like the present to take time to smell the roses and come down to earth to find common ground because this argument is for the birds.

Have a nice day. :cheers:thumbs

14 games in a season - if we scored 100 in 7 of them, and 0 in the other 7 for a 50 point average would you defend the team as one of the most dominant offenses in Nebraska history, averaging 50 points a game?

14 games in a season - if we scored 100 in 7 of them, and 0 in the other 7 for a 50 point average would you defend the team as one of the most dominant offenses in Nebraska history, averaging 50 points a game?

Ummm, yes. 100 points for 7 games is some kind of record no matter the rest of the games. That would be the most dominant offensive performance of any team in college football history by a wide margin.

But it's a ridiculous example obviously. What's the point you're indirectly trying to make here?

I wasn’t defending it, I was just trying to debunk the statement “it couldn’t get any worse” by showing stats where it statistically was worse.