tressel situation

What exactly has Bo done as a head coach to deserve to be considered for the Ohio State job? As far as I can tell, absolutely nothing. He is not leaving. No one wants him. Get over this Bo is the greatest coach in America garbage. He may well be in the future, but at this time he is not.

oreilly_u_mad.jpg

What exactly has Bo done as a head coach to deserve to be considered for the Ohio State job? As far as I can tell, absolutely nothing. He is not leaving. No one wants him. Get over this Bo is the greatest coach in America garbage. He may well be in the future, but at this time he is not.

I want him as our coach....

• Fire 1

Isn't there a rule in the Big Ten that head coaches can't go from one Big Ten school to another?

No - the same "myth" exists in recruiting. It's a courtesy shown, provided it doesn't impact your own self interest...in other words - if they could put the Huskers in the tank for 2-4 years while we find another Bo, and at the same time grab one of the hottest up and coming coaches in the game...they'll be doing it. Hate em if you want, but they'll beat you almost every Saturday and in the end that is what really matters.

(it's a non-issue because it won't be happening, though hypothetically speaking...)

Thanks for the info. Just thought I read somewhere that it was a rule. It won't be happening though...Tressel will end up being alright.

it isn't a rule but (idk if true or not) but supposedly there is some sort of stipulation in the contract about leaving for a job in the same conference. Although we don't join the big 10 officially until july, right?

Here's a link to a thread that has a link to his contract. I scanned over the contract via my phone and didn't see anything limiting him to where he can and can't go. I may have missed it. It seems that if he were to leave now, he would owe the university only $250,000. Awfully low but I believe the university would owe Bo only $62,000 per year remaining on his contract if he were fired. I think read that right.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/51315-bos-contract/page__pid__756738#entry756738

62500 per month (give or take) - with changes to that number dependent on the salary of his next job.

You mean other than taking a defense from worst in Div. I to best in two seasons? Other than taking a program that had alienated its fan base and former players and turning it into a source of pride for the state? Other than taking a program that had become totally irrelevant in the national media and turning it into a point of widespread public interest again?

Callahan talked about restoring the order, but Bo actually did that in three short seasons. He took us from 5-7 in 2007 to 10-4 in 2010, with three of those losses coming by 7 points or less.

Came to huskerboard today just to see the level of melt down over this situation, have to admit I'm impressed I expected to see people calling to hire Carl. I sure hope Bo stays and this situation does bother ole KH a little bit, but not that worried TO is commited to keeping Bo, and when he is commited to something he usually can do it. If you need a reference point see the 90's

FWIW, Bo's name isn't even on the radar among national sports media guys on Twitter. The one name that keeps popping up is Urban Meyer.

Sweater Vest Unraveling? Cue The Meyer To Ohio State Rumors

Somewhere Urban Meyer watches what plays out at Ohio State with keen interest.

@Matt_HayesSN

So, are we ready for the Urban Meyer to Ohio State talk?

@AthlonMitch

my prediction: After chatting with he and his wife, urban meyer returns to coaching within two years. Big 10 will be destination. Hunch.

@ESPN_Colin

So many assurances over hearsay.

I'm not saying it didn't happen (because I don't know), but this is an informant who was talking about a concerned person. It's not like they've truly mentioned anything damnig yet that you have to express concern over losing your coach.

Isn't there a rule in the Big Ten that head coaches can't go from one Big Ten school to another?

No - the same "myth" exists in recruiting. It's a courtesy shown, provided it doesn't impact your own self interest...in other words - if they could put the Huskers in the tank for 2-4 years while we find another Bo, and at the same time grab one of the hottest up and coming coaches in the game...they'll be doing it. Hate em if you want, but they'll beat you almost every Saturday and in the end that is what really matters.

(it's a non-issue because it won't be happening, though hypothetically speaking...)

Thanks for the info. Just thought I read somewhere that it was a rule. It won't be happening though...Tressel will end up being alright.

it isn't a rule but (idk if true or not) but supposedly there is some sort of stipulation in the contract about leaving for a job in the same conference. Although we don't join the big 10 officially until july, right?

Here's a link to a thread that has a link to his contract. I scanned over the contract via my phone and didn't see anything limiting him to where he can and can't go. I may have missed it. It seems that if he were to leave now, he would owe the university only $250,000. Awfully low but I believe the university would owe Bo only $62,000 per year remaining on his contract if he were fired. I think read that right.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/51315-bos-contract/page__pid__756738#entry756738

62500 per month (give or take) - with changes to that number dependent on the salary of his next job.

Thanks for the correction.

Via Twitter:

@BFeldmanESPN RT @ZackMeisel #OhioState athletic department announces 7 pm press conference tonight: President Gee, Jim Tressel, Gene Smith

They're not including The Vest in the presser if he's in hot water. At worst I could see vacating some wins. He won't step down.

There is no reason to be concerned about Bo. First, it is not at all clear that this report is true. Second, even if it is true, it is a long shot that this would cost Tressel his job. Third, even if it did cost Tressel his job, it seems unlikely that Ohio State would court Bo for the job given that, although he appears to be an excellent coach, he has not won anything significant enough to warrant feverish attention from a program like Ohio State. And fourth, even if they did court Bo for the job, it seems unlikely that he would take it given where were are as a program with so much unfinished business.

When you take all that into account, I think there is less than a 1 in a 100 chance Bo leaves Nebraska based on this information.