Lineman Hardrick motivated, upbeat about senior season

Jermarcus Hardrick describes himself as a mad player last year. It wasn't the kind of mad that inspires football dominance, either.

This was the kind of mad that burdens.

"Last year I let my ego get in the way," Hardrick said. "Really because I wasn't playing, I really didn't care. I really didn't want to be here. I'm happy to be here now. I'm happy with the coaches."

The 6-foot-7, 325-pound tackle describes his relationship last year with offensive line coach Barney Cotton as "on and off."

This spring he has a different description for that relationship.

The one thing that really hit a nerve on me was him saying that he really didn't want to be here. It's good to see that attitude changed.

Not winning the starting role last year was a reality check for him. This ain't juco anymore. Hopefully he takes last season as a learning lesson and practices/plays with a chip on his shoulder this year. He needs to realize how hard he worked to get here, but also that all that hard work was nothing compared to the hard work that it will take to be the best at this level and beyond.

The one thing that really hit a nerve on me was him saying that he really didn't want to be here. It's good to see that attitude changed.

Not winning the starting role last year was a reality check for him. This ain't juco anymore. Hopefully he takes last season as a learning lesson and practices/plays with a chip on his shoulder this year. He needs to realize how hard he worked to get here, but also that all that hard work was nothing compared to the hard work that it will take to be the best at this level and beyond.

Bet he's in better shape than last year. Didn't he have to leave last fall's first practice early because he was tuckered out?