Wanting to attend a home game...

Hey all,

Writing from Canada and am attempting to convince some friends to make the roadtrip to Lincoln for a game in September.

Would any of you be able to help me with the list of Pro's for attending? Ie. places to go after, tailgating options, female attendance...basically things that normal guys would take into account if making a trip.

Thanks!

I'm feeling pretty lazy right now, but if you use the search feature for the following,

Misty's (which is a steak restaurant)

Sandy's (which is a bar featuring stiff orange juice drinks and is usually pretty good in the gender balance)

you should get several threads already discussing the topic. I know there are quite a few out there. These two places tend to crop up every time one of these threads appears. I'll vouch for Sandy's. Not Misty's so much.

Edit: Oh, and Huskerhounds is a very good place to get face value tickets (website)

Hey all,

Writing from Canada and am attempting to convince some friends to make the roadtrip to Lincoln for a game in September.

Would any of you be able to help me with the list of Pro's for attending? Ie. places to go after, tailgating options, female attendance...basically things that normal guys would take into account if making a trip.

Thanks!

Just go hang on O street or in the Haymarket after the game. There will be no shortage of fans to hang out with.

You get a hotel downtown... everything is walking distance. The stadium, the bars, and restaurants.

Tailgating takes course everywhere around the stadium in open lots and 90% of the people will offer you a drink if you walk up and strike a conversation... and if you are a true canadian with accent and all you will receive an extra hospitable experience. Downtown is a blast after games because you get a good mix of people and assuming it's a win, people drink extra hard and we all know how beer goggles work, so yeah... there will be plenty of ladies!

Remember, there is a lot of historical stuff that's actually interesting (trophies, gameday experience theatre, etc.) so it's not just about football, booze, and women. Might want to come down a day early to check out some of the other stuff.

Well, as far as restaurants are concerned, Lazlo's and Misty's would be the places I'd suggest. I love Lazlo's and they have some great beers they make.

As far as bars are concerned, my favorite are places like Duffy's, Sandy's, and Iguana's Pub. Iguana's has a lot of girls, if that's something you're interested in perusing while you're in Lincoln.

You get to see the Huskers in one of the greatest college sports venues. Nuff said

:yeah It is about commitment. 1)Pick Game 2) Get Tickets 3) Get a room 4) Use net and huskerboard to plan..... or just show up early and start having fun and asking arond for what to do next ..... nothing is too far away so you can figure out details on the run......... Gotta get a runza.

Get wasted also...it enhances the gameday experience! haha! Seriously though...the gameday experience in Lincoln is like no other...if you just ask around about restaurants and hotels...plenty of fans are there to help you out. And yes...there are plenty of good lookin Husker women! Trust me!

Big thanks to everyone for all the replies....September seems so far away but I'm legitimately excited to make this trip. Plus if the rest of the fans are as friendly as you guys are this is going to be one hell of a trip. I originally started to plan this just to see a game at a famous stadium, but I might have just found my NCAA team!

Which game would you recommend seeing...Fresno St or Washington??

Big thanks to everyone for all the replies....September seems so far away but I'm legitimately excited to make this trip. Plus if the rest of the fans are as friendly as you guys are this is going to be one hell of a trip. I originally started to plan this just to see a game at a famous stadium, but I might have just found my NCAA team!

Personally, I would recommend the Washington game. I imagine there will be a little more hype around that game. They are a BCS team, who Nebraska played 2 times last season... Nebraska beat Washington down the first game, and got beat down the second time. I think Nebraska will be looking to put a hurt on them.

In terms of bars, there aren't many worth going to. Iguana's, Sandy's and places like Brother's are probably not game-day type atmospheres. These are simply college kid hangouts during the majority of the year. Barry's is a place I know lots of people go to on game-day (https://barrysbarandgrill.com/Home_Page.html) Also there are huge crowds at the Embassy Suites near the stadium. For food, make sure you hit up Bisonwiches sometime. Their sandwiches are generally thought to be top notch. I am sad that their $1 draw night disappeared though, we used to drink Guinness on tap all night for under $20. They wised up after we showed up at every one of them for a couple months.

if you can wait till october, i'd suggest ohio state, the first home game for nebraska in the big ten.

Before I tell you which game to attend how much are you willing to spend for tickets? You might have better luck finding tickets for the Fresno State game compared to Washington or all of the other bigger games at a reasonable price.

Check out places like Stubhub, Craigslist, or EBay for tickets if you're willing to pay more money to the bigger games like Washington, Ohio State, Michigan State, Northwestern, or Iowa. I'd probably check those sites out a few months/weeks before the opening kickoff or the week of the game to find tickets.

Last year I got tickets to Kansas and Colorado like a little over a week before the game for $65 dollars per ticket for both games on Craigslist.

In terms of bars, there aren't many worth going to.... <snip>

One persons opinion.

I tend to have a good time at Iguana's, Woody's, Mainstreet, and of course Cliffs for a shark-water. While I agree that most of the bars are "college hangouts", on gamedays (including spring game) that's not the case. Generally speaking, there is a good mix of people.