UT #47

SCar #52

LSU #60

UK #63

Ark #66

Miss #72

Miss St #79

Vandy not listed.

Jim Delaney caught hell a couple years ago (mostly from SEC fans) saying the Big10 was not going to comprise academic standards like some other conferences in order to be more competitive on the football field.

So he didn't want the Big 10 to have academic standards?

Anyways, yeah, most SEC schools are crap academically, but an interesting trend that I just noticed in looking at those rankings is that the best football schools are generally the better academic schools. Over the last 12 years, one of the top 4 ranked public schools has won the SEC championship 9 times and over the last 19 year (since they started playing the SEC championship game) one of the top 4 has won it 14 times. Now I'm not saying that the top 4 SEC schools are the Ivy League, but Georgia and Florida would be solid middle-tier Big 10 academic institutions and Alabama and Auburn wouldn't be too far removed from the pack. The worst academic schools are generally some of the lesser football schools as well.

Vandy (17) is ranked higher than Michigan (29) btw when public and private are ranked together.

Look at the SEC schools:

Florida #17

UGA #18

UA #34

AU #38

UT #47

SCar #52

LSU #60

UK #63

Ark #66

Miss #72

Miss St #79

Vandy not listed.

Jim Delaney caught hell a couple years ago (mostly from SEC fans) saying the Big10 was not going to comprise academic standards like some other conferences in order to be more competitive on the football field.

Considering Nebraska is bringing up the rear currently at #47, that puts the entirety of the B1G (including DoNU), at or above five of the SEC schools.

I would think Delaney has a valid point then, yes?

You forgot UI-Chicago. Aren't they a member of the B1G academically?

That is correct. UI-Chicago is academically part of the Big 10 Educational Consortium.

Wrong. You're thinking of the University of Chicago. UI-Chicago is a school that stupid kids or kids who can't afford to go to Urbana or just about any other school in Illinois go to. Big difference.

I don't think that list is very telling. I think US News & World Report has had the definitive college rankings for quite some time. In those rankings the Big Ten appears:

4. Michigan

13. Wisconsin (tied with Texas)

15. Penn State

15. Illinois

18. Ohio State

18. Purdue

23. Minnesota

29. Iowa

32. Indiana

34. Michigan State

47. Nebraska

Since this is a list of Public Universities, U-Chicago and Northwestern are not listed.

Suffice it to say, Nebraska woefully trails academically in the Big Ten. But if it's any consolation, we're ranked right around where Penn State was ranked 20 years ago - just before they joined the Big Ten. The CIC is a powerful thing, a very good thing for UNL.

LINK TO LIST

This. The CIC is probably the most important thing that is going to happen to Nebraska by virtue of joining the Big 10.

+ 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.........

just sayin.......

Yep. Look for Nebraska's ranking to move up the charts somewhat. Penn State received quite a bump after joining the Big Ten. It might take a few years but things are looking up.

Wrong. You're thinking of the University of Chicago. UI-Chicago is a school that stupid kids or kids who can't afford to go to Urbana or just about any other school in Illinois go to. Big difference.

Ahhh, OK. I'm not very up to speed on Chicago colleges. That makes sense.

http://www.studentsreview.com/big_ten_compare.html

Based SAT/ACT scores on this you could say:

1. Northwestern

2. Penn State

3. Michigan State

4. Wisconsin

5. Michigan

6. Iowa

7. Minnesota

8. Ohio State

9. Indiana

10. Illinois

11. Purdue

Where would nebraska rank in this list?

As an academician (professor)of 25+ years I have some thoughts and a few points to make that some of you might not have thought of (in fact, you would have had little reason to consider such things). But... academic rankings... the likes of which are commonly cited for major universities are usually predicated upon perceptions of excellence in three main categories, in no particular order --- 1) research productivity among the faculty (grants applied for, grants received, research equipment on campus, # of PhD students, postdoctoral appointments, publications, presentations, journal editorships resident, etc.), 2) entrance ACT and/or SAT averages coupled with acceptance rates for incoming students, and 3) opinion of polled professionals who "rank" the prestige of the institution in a subjective manner.

Consider that for any of these schools, between 85% and 90% of all students enrolled will be undergraduates. Now... these rankings essentially have NO BEARING on the quality of an undergraduate students education at that school relative to an undergraduate student elsewhere. Why? Because the research component of the ranking is based overwhelmingly upon graduate student conditions... not undergraduates. The typical % of undergraduates doing research at any institution is less than 5%. Thus, for 95% of the undergraduate students at the school, the research context for that school will be, for them, meaningless (yet the primary basis for ranking is tethered to research).

Also, the "prestige factor" will always favor large schools with many graduates and schools in populous states.

So... NU will rank the lowest in the B10. But this means nothing re: quality of educational experience for the undergraduate enrolled at NU relative to those at the rest of the B10 institutions. NU is a fine school... no method exists for any meaningful comparison relative to the other schools. Too many variables. Too many inter-related constructs to measure and too few metrics to make meaningful measurements.

Bottom line? The rankings are of little to no value re: the educational experience of the vast majority (ca. 90%) of the students enrolled. And....

NU is a fine institution... as are the others in the B10.

• Fire 1

That is correct. UI-Chicago is academically part of the Big 10 Educational Consortium.

UIC's a pretty good college. Certainly on a par with Northern Illinois. I wonder if you're thinking of Chicago State?

UIC's a pretty good college. Certainly on a par with Northern Illinois. I wonder if you're thinking of Chicago State?

I'm gonna go with no on the "pretty good college" statement. When you have directional schools ranked higher than you, you're in pretty bad shape. I will admit, though, you could do worse.

http://www.stateuniversity.com/universities/IL/University_of_Illinois_at_Chicago.html

Do you know someone who goes there?

Doesn't NU only require a 30 on the ACT for a regents scholarship, which is basically a full ride (academically)?

The number it takes to get a scholarship varies year to year based on how many applicants there are from in-state with high ACT scores. Really you'd need a very strong profile outside of the 30 to get it. You would be well off to get a 32+ to improve your chances. I know people with 32s who were not given regents scholarships.

That is simply not true. My daughter averaged a 31 and got one. I believe it is ACT and class rank alone. There is not a set amount of scholorships.

Doesn't NU only require a 30 on the ACT for a regents scholarship, which is basically a full ride (academically)?

The number it takes to get a scholarship varies year to year based on how many applicants there are from in-state with high ACT scores. Really you'd need a very strong profile outside of the 30 to get it. You would be well off to get a 32+ to improve your chances. I know people with 32s who were not given regents scholarships.

That is simply not true. My daughter averaged a 31 and got one. I believe it is ACT and class rank alone. There is not a set amount of scholorships.

On UNL's website (http://www.unl.edu/scholfa/All-University.shtml), I didn't see any actual requirements, but this is the information given: "Incoming freshmen will be awarded scholarships based upon their academic profile which takes into consideration their high school rank in class at the end of the sixth semester as well as their highest composite score on the ACT or SAT examinations."

If I remember correctly, a 30 on the ACT is the minimum for a Regents, but a higher score will improve chances of receiving the scholarship as a limited number are given out to students of a single school (for example a student from a class C school has a better chance of receiving it due to less competition than a student from a class A school). Class rank being in the top 5% is a requirement no matter what the ACT score is.

Another thing to consider when looking at average ACT/SAT scores is that UNL does not require an SAT for admission, or scholarships.