Looks Like the Big 12(er 10) is going to be around for awhile

CNN/SI story

"We laughed at Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe last year. We assumed he would preside over the downfall of a conference that should have printed its own money because he couldn't adequately manage the warring factions within. We lampooned him. Someone even started a Twitter feed claiming to be Beebe that gave life to the caricature we created during last year's conference realignment showdown. Even when he brokered a deal that kept the conference together, we gave no credit to Beebe and all the credit to Texas officials for their string-pulling skills. Then we immediately began predicting the Big 12's demise within a few years.

Wednesday, those of us who made Beebe the butt of our realignment jokes owed the man an apology. Because what he predicted came true, and his conference appears strong and stable."

We laughed at Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe last year.

Laughed? Some people wanted to hit him on the head with a bottle and stab him in the neck. But as it turns out, Beebe did us a favor. By being such a groveling one-sided piss ant hanging on UT's nutsack that he drove NU out of the B12, and off to a better conference. Thanks Beebe. You benevolent douchebag.

I'm still not convinced that this won't blow up in the faces of the other schools. If anybody can get a copy of the contract, I'd certainly be interested to see the fine print, that may easily have a clause stating that it's for thirteen years as long as the conference remains together, and gives the conference/Fox a way out if someone leaves. There is still no long-term commitment from the member schools to the conference. As stated above, Beebe did us a favor. We'll be much better off, and much happier, with the no-nonsense, leave-your-ego-at-the-door attitude of the Big Ten.

The power base of this conference is woefully unbalanced, and therefore the stability will remain unbalanced as well. Any time you have a structure that involves "haves" and "have-nots," you're going to have problems. Or more pointedly, resentment. We'll see...some of those schools obviously need a large body to orbit (Texas) for on their own they cannot be self-sustaining. As long as Texas is content with the arrangement the Big 12-2 should remain viable, albeit skewed sharply to the south.

All I know is, I'm still just as happy as ever to be out of that conference. They can congratulate Beebe all they want for his little monarchy, that does nothing to dissuade my enthusiasm for the democratic B1G.

Big 12 football's new TV deal with FOX is $1.2 Billion for 520 games.

Yeah, theoretically that's great. Those numbers are just that atm though: mere numbers. I'm interested in the distribution of those funds. If it isn't 100% equal (it isn't) and some receive more than others (that will happen) then there will be problems in the relatively near future.

One of the great motivators for human beings is the fear of being screwed. If one side thinks that another is getting a better deal at the expense of themselves they will often do whatever it takes to change the arrangement or to remove themselves from the equation entirely...even if they're still getting a pretty good deal anyways. Pride often eclipses reason. It's why humanity is fundamentally insane. (And screwed.)

• Fire 1

Big 12 won't last no matter what kind of contract they get.

1. the bottom dwellers will now stay bottom dwellers. It will be harder for Baylor and Iowa St to compete now that they have to play everyone and instead of just 2 teams from the opposite division. Iowa St has had chances to win the Big 12 North but now that will never happen. These teams remind me of Temple when they played in the Big East but switched conferences because they couldn't compete on the field. Now Temple is doing much better because they play in the MAC which they can compete. Money is everything if you can't compete.

2. Now that Texas is calling all the shots they won't give up any power now. How long before OU gets tired of it even though OU has done more in the last 10 years than Texas has. Texas knows if they go independent they won't get an automatic berth because they don't have the prestige like Notre Dame of being an independent.

3. Now recruits will just go to Texas or OU because those will be the only teams that have a shot at winning the conference. The rest of the conference will get recruits the big 2 don't want.

4. Texas knows they got lucky we went to the Big Ten. they knew the power of balance was shifting towards us becoming more dominant. Bo Pelini is a much better coach than Mack Brown will ever be. Mack can't coach and only when he had superstars did he get anything acccomplished.

You cannot argue the point of who is getting what or not. It has been going on in the Big12 for years and even the Big8 when we were the power house and getting all the money. It just shifted to another team.

I do agree that the conference won't last and a few more teams will bail for another conference. Would love to see Mizzou (as much as I hate them) come to the Big10 and Kansas to the SEC. Will the SEC take them? Who knows, but they would be stupid to not take them for their Basketball team. Also if OU would cut the cords from O-lite, then the possibility of OU and TA&M going to SEC would be 99.9999% (I am going to leave the .0001% out there). The rest of the teams would be scrounging at best to find a conference, well maybe not TT (Maybe).

You cannot argue the point of who is getting what or not. It has been going on in the Big12 for years and even the Big8 when we were the power house and getting all the money. It just shifted to another team.

Yes you can. If the other teams didn't give up the money they were getting from Nebraska and Colorado leaving, do you think the big 12 would exist today? No it wouldn't. I don't see Nebraska doing this just for money like Texas. We just saw Texas for what they were and weren't gonna deal with it anymore. the power and money shifted to another team that doesn't give a sh#t about the other teams. The only reason Texas didn't want a&m to go to the SEC was simply so they wouldn't open the door to recruiting to the SEC. That's the sole reason why a&m is getting a lot of money too.

I do agree that the conference won't last and a few more teams will bail for another conference.

Where are they going to go? It doesn't seem like the SEC is eager to expand and the B10 is not likely to either. The MWC and WAC are a downgrade by an standard. The ACC seems out of the question. So basically you're left with the Pac-12 possibly still looking at a super conference with some of the south teams or the possibility of the Big East taking teams to form an even bigger basketball super conference. At any rate, especially in light of the more lucrative TV contract it makes less sense for any schools besides Texas to be shopping around. And all Texas is shopping is going independent.

In the event Texas does go independent, which seems inevitable now, the Big 12 will still exist is some form because there are not conferences for all the remaining schools to be absorbed into unless there is an epic realignment. I don't see that happening when the SEC and B10 are sitting nicely and the Pac-12 will probably want to let their new format settle for awhile too.

Where are they going to go? It doesn't seem like the SEC is eager to expand and the B10 is not likely to either. The MWC and WAC are a downgrade by an standard. The ACC seems out of the question. So basically you're left with the Pac-12 possibly still looking at a super conference with some of the south teams or the possibility of the Big East taking teams to form an even bigger basketball super conference. At any rate, especially in light of the more lucrative TV contract it makes less sense for any schools besides Texas to be shopping around. And all Texas is shopping is going independent.

SEC wants TA&M along with OU badly. They tried to get them this year while Texas was pushing for the PAC10, but you just didn't hear about it as much (atleast in Ne you didn't, but here in Oklahoma you did).

If the Big10 can get N.D. to finally commit, I can see them maybe taking Mizzou to make it an even conference. And then your mentioning of the super PAC16, which I am sure they will take whoever they can get ahold of (I mean they did take Colorado of all teams). I know it is a big IF, but IF OU cuts ties with OSU, they will leave and go to the SEC. I know it will never happen (cutting ties that is) because of the on going politics here in Oklahoma with the two teams.

Also I am sure the weaker teams in the Big12 were offered a bigger package then they are receiving now, they would leave without hesitation (again bringing CU back as an example).

I do agree that the conference won't last and a few more teams will bail for another conference.

In the event Texas does go independent, which seems inevitable now, the Big 12 will still exist is some form because there are not conferences for all the remaining schools to be absorbed into unless there is an epic realignment. I don't see that happening when the SEC and B10 are sitting nicely and the Pac-12 will probably want to let their new format settle for awhile too.

MWC isn't a bad conference and is only a downgrade into getting into the national championship which outside of Texas and OU they never really had a shot so not much will be missed. The WAC after next year will barely be a football conference since they lose so many to the MWC. Boise St replaces TCU. Fresno St and Nevada replace Utah and BYU.

I don't see the NCAA handing down an exception just for Texas if they become independent which they won't because they won't get that exception. There are plenty of other conferences like the Sun Belt and WAC to go to.