Carnes Starter?

It's funny that Taylor Martinez can light up a crummy pass defense like OSU and people disregard it. Brion Carnes has what amounts to a decent day against a secondary comparable to OSU's, and that's a good sign.

There are people who will not get behind Taylor Martinez, no matter what. You just have to accept that in every conversation going forward.

It's funny that Taylor Martinez can light up a crummy pass defense like OSU and people disregard it. Brion Carnes has what amounts to a decent day against a secondary comparable to OSU's, and that's a good sign.

There are people who will not get behind Taylor Martinez, no matter what. You just have to accept that in every conversation going forward.

NU's 3rd and 4th string secondary is comparable to OSU's starting secondary? I know OSU's pass defense was bad but that seems like a stretch.

The only thing that bothers me about Taylor is his passing. I couldn't care less about whether he pleases the fans or gives a good interview (or even speaks to the media at all, for that matter).

The Oklahoma State game was great to watch and I'm glad Taylor had an amazing game. But you have to look at the bigger picture and see that he isn't a FBS passer and yesterday certainly didn't change my mind on that. Regardless of who our OC is or what system they're running, we're gonna need to have a competent passing attack at times (against solid defenses) if we want Big 10 titles and BCS bowls and such.

• Fire 5

NU's 3rd and 4th string secondary is comparable to OSU's starting secondary? I know OSU's pass defense was bad but that seems like a stretch.

Well when you consider that they played guys like Dennard and then a fourth or fifth string safety at the same time - and you consider that these players probably know little to nothing about each other's play styles - you get a pass defense that isn't exactly a product you'd want on the field.

Now, to be honest, it's truly impossible to make a fair comparison between OSU's secondary and our Red team's starting secondary. His point, as well as others, is to stress how futile it is to garner any sort of honest opinion off of one glorified practice. I agree with him, in that regard.

Did Carnes play well? Of course. Did he look better than Martinez? Yes. But one practice in the spring is not enough for the coaches to declare anybody a starter. Think about it - the coaches aren't allowed to directly communicate with these guys for months now. No honest decision is going to be made until fall camp is underway, and that's when I will start to take people's opinions on the quarterback position more seriously. Until then - we literally have nothing to go on.

I don't pretend to know what the coaches think, but if I were a coach, I'd feel like an idiot if I was seriously putting together my QB depth chart right now.

It's hilarious people still put the Texas loss on Taylor. Ridiculous.

We have to distinguish the difference between pinning the loss on him and using the game as an example of what a solid defense with a good plan can do to severely diminish his performance (and therefore the performance of our offense). When all the 20+ yard runs are taken away, we don't look like a very good offense. If he isn't improved as a passer come October, we'll see at least 3-4 B1G defenses capable of doing the same thing to us.

The only thing that bothers me about Taylor is his passing. I could care less about whether he pleases the fans or gives a good interview (or even speaks to the media at all, for that matter).

The Oklahoma State game was great to watch and I'm glad Taylor had an amazing game. But you have to look at the bigger picture and see that he isn't a FBS passer and yesterday certainly didn't change my mind on that. Regardless of who our OC is or what system they're running, we're gonna need to have a competent passing attack at times (against solid defenses) if we want Big 10 titles and BCS bowls and such.

If you say so.

I guess that's how TO/Frank won all the conference championships & NCs. Our Dan Marino clones like Frazier, Frost, Crouch, etc....yep, that had to be it.

I feel now is an appropriate time for everybody to remember that we don't have the same offensive staff as last year.

To me, Watson was always notorious for not getting players to play disciplined and smart football. Watson's offenses either played exceptionally well (most of non-con and pre-Texas) or struggled because of inconsistencies. Those numerous dropped balls and inconsistent performances fall flat on Watson and his ability to prepare his athletes. He was always lacking in that area to me.

There's no telling what could happen this year with a new OC, but I'm optimistic that he'll get the players to perform better in those high-stress situations.

The only thing that bothers me about Taylor is his passing. I could care less about whether he pleases the fans or gives a good interview (or even speaks to the media at all, for that matter).

If you say so.

I guess that's how TO/Frank won all the conference championships & NCs. Our Dan Marino clones like Frazier, Frost, Crouch, etc....yep, that had to be it.

TO was a rare offensive mind and our offensive lines during his heyday were among the best ever assembled. Not to mention Tenopir, Young, the S&C being a mile ahead of other programs, etc. Put Frazier, Frost or Crouch on this year's team and they aren't going to win 11+ games passing the ball 10-15 times a game like they did back then.

• Fire 3

I can see the justification for undermining Carnes' spring game performance and I'll give Martinez the benefit of the doubt for now. However, I think the Big Ten will be more than ready to defend a Nebraska offense with an athlete playing quarterback. I hope he can improve his skill-set between now and September to make them look foolish. If we see the same Taylor as last season, I strongly believe that it will spell trouble. And if that happens, I think all the calls for Carnes (and even RK3) to start would be warranted.

I can see the justification for undermining Carnes' spring game performance and I'll give Martinez the benefit of the doubt for now. However, I think the Big Ten will be more than ready to defend a Nebraska offense with an athlete playing quarterback. I hope he can improve his skill-set between now and September to make them look foolish. If we see the same Taylor as last season, I strongly believe that it will spell trouble. And if that happens, I think all the calls for Carnes (and even RK3) to start would be warranted.

Agreed. I don't think anyone is really saying Carnes is ready to be an All-American based on 25 or 30 snaps in a spring game. Only that Martinez will need to provide us a better passing attack, or we'll have to hope Carnes will.

If you say so.

TO was a rare offensive mind and our offensive lines during his heyday were among the best ever assembled. Not to mention Tenopir, Young, the S&C being a mile ahead of other programs, etc. Put Frazier, Frost or Crouch on this year's team and they aren't going to win 11+ games passing the ball 10-15 times a game like they did back then.

Well, the last time we won 11+ games was when we had an identity running the ball. Our "balanced" offense hasn't got us there yet in seven years....maybe it's time for a change.

If he's the best QB, then he'll show it on the field in, you know, an actual game.

So you think practice and scrimmages account for nothing? Ironic considering ONE scrimmage is what allowed an unproven and incredibly raw QB in Taylor Martinez to get the job you believe he should hold onto regardless.

But I guess Brion doesn't deserve the same opportunity that Taylor was given, eh?

You earn your job. You don't keep it just because. If you are head and shoulders above the guy 'behind' you, then prove it.

• Fire 3