Carnes Starter?

Not trying to call you out knapplc, but this is the jist of part of my argument earlier in this thread and you disagreed with me. Have you changed your mind?

I didn't see them as the same conversation at all.

The only thing that bothers me about Taylor is his passing. I couldn't care less about whether he pleases the fans or gives a good interview (or even speaks to the media at all, for that matter).

The Oklahoma State game was great to watch and I'm glad Taylor had an amazing game. But you have to look at the bigger picture and see that he isn't a FBS passer and yesterday certainly didn't change my mind on that. Regardless of who our OC is or what system they're running, we're gonna need to have a competent passing attack at times (against solid defenses) if we want Big 10 titles and BCS bowls and such.

Compared to:

No Im not. I like what I saw of Carnes, but have to reserve further judgement until he takes snaps in a game. Passing is more than being able to hit a reciever. Its about being able to make good decisions as well. Martinez has been known for not making great ones, and for the most part I thought he continued that trend yesterday minus the 2 tuck and runs or so. Martinez does get the job done sometimes, but everything about it is very ugly when it comes to passing, which is why I think Carnes is so appealing. He looks like a pure QB.

You're saying that because Freshman Taylor Martinez made crappy decisions as a Freshman, that Carnes is a more appealing QB? Based off of one Spring Practice?

You, sir, are a god among football prognosticators, if you can make that call based on what you saw yesterday.

Me, I'll say this: Carnes' receivers were more open than Martinez'. Carnes made some nice throws, and looked fundamentally sound, although far from perfect. Taylor still exhibits some of the poor tendencies we saw from him last year, but he was also throwing in vastly different situations, into different coverages, than Martinez. I liked what I saw out of Carnes for a Freshman, but that's as far as I'll go. The jury is still way out on him.

Taylor Martinez also made crappy decisions in a sping game as a one year starter against a defense he sees every day in practice. You liked what you saw from Carnes for a freshman? Holy expectations. The kid performed and looked good out there, regardless of year.

As far as the appealing part, I think you may be reading too much into that. What I mean by appealing is his demeanor of a QB. His motion is the cleanest we have seen in a long time, and he looks natural. Which is why alot of people are buzzing. Like I said Taylor can get the job done, but everything about his motion, pocket presence, its ugly, and its difficult for many people to accept getting the job done ugly. If that makes sense.

You didn't mention the part where you posted Taylors resume as defense to me saying Taylors passing is ugly, but it gets the job done ugly. You posted those knowing that one of those awards were based on his passing ability, while the rest were reflections of his running ability. It was stated that Taylor isn't an fbs passer, can he improve, sure. But how long does he need. Do you feel we can suceed in the big ten with the way Taylor is performing right now? I understand there are multiple different variables there, but we have to be able to throw to win.

Who was that last pocket passer that won a NC or even a BCS game for that matter?

Alabama won the NC two years ago with basically a solid running game and a passing QB who will probably be in the top 2 QB's selected and will probably have the longer of the two careers.

And then I believe it was Leinart before him.

Matt Flynn, LSU '07.

I was going to say Flynn but he split significant time with another quarterback that year from LSU, so I didn't want to put him in the same category as two guys who were the definitive starters for their programs.

But you're right, I do believe he played most of the MNC game and they did win.

Do you feel we can suceed in the big ten with the way Taylor is performing right now? I understand there are multiple different variables there, but we have to be able to throw to win.

That's hard to say, based on a number of factors:

• Taylor isn't the only player through whom we can win
  • "Right Now" we have next to nothing to judge Taylor on, because he was hurt the last half of last year and the Spring Game showed us nothing of our new offense.
  • You can win while throwing minimally, if you choose your opportunities wisely. That's more on Beck than Taylor (or Carnes, or Green).

We didn't lose to Oklahoma, A&M, Washington or Texas solely because of Taylor Martinez, just like we didn't beat anyone else solely because of him. Overall, if the team is sound, if both lines are solid and if we don't lose our minds, absolutely we can succeed in the Big 10 this year. We'll compete for the Conference Title if those things happen regardless of our QB.

There is nothing that Taylor has done that leads me to believe he cannot be a hell of a college QB. Is that a solid answer?

• Fire 1

Do you feel we can suceed in the big ten with the way Taylor is performing right now? I understand there are multiple different variables there, but we have to be able to throw to win.

• "Right Now" we have next to nothing to judge Taylor on, because he was hurt the last half of last year and the Spring Game showed us nothing of our new offense.
  • You can win while throwing minimally, if you choose your opportunities wisely. That's more on Beck than Taylor (or Carnes, or Green).

We didn't lose to Oklahoma, A&M, Washington or Texas solely because of Taylor Martinez, just like we didn't beat anyone else solely because of him. Overall, if the team is sound, if both lines are solid and if we don't lose our minds, absolutely we can succeed in the Big 10 this year. We'll compete for the Conference Title if those things happen regardless of our QB.

There is nothing that Taylor has done that leads me to believe he cannot be a hell of a college QB. Is that a solid answer?

well then, you would have to throw out his last 3-4 games from last season or imagine all his poor play was affected by his injuries.....good luck with that.

well then, you would have to throw out his last 3-4 games from last season or imagine all his poor play was affected by his injuries.....good luck with that.

That's for sure. The pack of hyenas don't give a rat's ass if he has turf toe on one leg & a bad ankle on the other. Or that he was a freshman. The haters smell the meat & their state of frenzy just keeps climbing.

That's for sure. The pack of hyenas don't give a rat's ass if he has turf toe on one leg & a bad ankle on the other. Or that he was a freshman. The haters smell the meat & their state of frenzy just keeps climbing.

The thing is, so many people think they are coaches, insiders and scouts. Everyone knows best.

Yeah, just like you don't buy the endless stories about Taylor being a horrid teammate and the team genuinely disliking him. Nope, I just picked Taylor out randomly, all the way back when he recruitment started, and decided then I would not like him. Taylor did nothing on his visit, did nothing last August in leaving the team, did nothing during the aTm game, did nothing after the aTm game .. nope, just all fabricated stories by Huskers fans to make Husker players look bad.

tin-foil-hat-3.jpg

Wait... I know I'm a little late to the party, but did you mock someone with a tinfoil hat image because they don't automatically believe unfounded rumors?

Bahahahahaha! Oh sweet irony! :laughpound

• Fire 1

bshirt, you're my boy . . . but what is the motive for anyone to hate on Martinez unjustly? I want to love the kid with all my heart. I want him to be the next Husker hero. I was willing to turn the page on last year and chalk it up to injuries and bad play calling . . . but I (and others) were just extremely disappointed to see him come out and not look sharp at all. He had no touch on his throws, his mechanics still blow, and the injury issue is still there. Before too long, those injuries are going to change from an explanation to an excuse. And we can't win with excuses.

Mechanics are really overrated, really, you just want to be able to repeat the same motion over and over to get the same positive result. Now, if the end result sucks, thats when you want to make changes.

Think of Jim Fyurk with his golf swing. It is "terrible" but it gets the desired result and he can repeat it over and over.

Its not the mechanics that you should worry about it, it is the accuracy and result. If his "mechanics" that he currently has produced 65% completions 25 TD and 5 Ints, people would never mention it.

Mechanics are really overrated, really, you just want to be able to repeat the same motion over and over to get the same positive result. Now, if the end result sucks, thats when you want to make changes.

Think of Jim Fyurk with his golf swing. It is "terrible" but it gets the desired result and he can repeat it over and over.

Its not the mechanics that you should worry about it, it is the accuracy and result. If his "mechanics" that he currently has produced 65% completions 25 TD and 5 Ints, people would never mention it.

Ok, but it's not. Hence, we have a problem.

Wow...Lincoln should bring in an MLB team to keep Husker fans occupied during the summer. I've got the Twins to worry about up here.

Point is guys...Let the kid grow up. He was only a freshman. Martinez is our QB this fall until he really disproves it. I was at the spring game, and alot of his throws were right between the numbers but Kinnie drop two big passes and Bell another. Mechanics, Delivery, Touch vs Laser passes, It doesn't matter. If the kid comes in this fall and wins games, that is all that matters. Stats are for losers.