Carnes Starter?

Brion looked great - Taylor didn't.

THIS, I totally agree with right now. I didn't see the game, have only seen the highlights, but from everything I've read and heard, Carnes looked better in the spring game the other day.

HOWEVER, based on what I've read from the coaches, it doesn't sound like they think that there's any meaning in that. It's also a spring game, with players divvied up in weird ways, and it's impossible to get a read on anything. Zach Taylor contributed at IB. Is he going to be a big contributor in the fall? Probably not.

If Brion takes over the job from Taylor, fantastic. We'll have a freshman all-american as our backup, which would say something about the new starter. However, I'll wait to see Carnes in some real action before I start buying into the notion that he's the best QB on the team.

If Carnes becomes the starter we won't have a freshman all-American back up because I highly doubt he'll be here. He's a lot like Eric Crouch in the sense that when things don't go his way he likes to let everyone know it and try to manipulate things to make it as such. To me that's T-Mart's biggest flaw. I know he had some of the Seniors on the team pissed off at him last year. Some of it was deserved and some of it not. Its kind of like when you decided you don't really care for someone. It becomes very hard to see what they do and say objectively even when they are right. You find a way to criticize the delivery of the message or just disagree with it altogether because you don't like them. I know TMart took a bunch of heat because he called out Niles Paul in the locker room for running his mouth and told him to stop blaming him and catch the damn ball. A bunch of the younger guys liked this because they were tired of Paul always hyping himself up but then never delivering. A bunch of the older guys got pissed because here was this guy who hadn't done anything and BTW has his own issues calling out their buddy. I guarantee that had Rex said that to NP it wouldn't have been as offensive. Either way. . he was right in the sense he needed to call out someone not getting it done as leaders do but he was very non leader like in the way he did it. I think this has to do with the way he was brought up and again. . it goes back to society's new issues not teaching people how to deal with adversity.

I think the real question becomes how much of the team does TMart have behind him? Can he get back some of the guys he lost? Or will he implode?

• Fire 1

It seems like some of you are reading Jawbreakingsafetyplays threads on HI. Look, that guy is a super-virgin. He tosses out more rumor crap then anyone ever. So he hears stuff from a few players that are griping and its all true, how come the players he talks to arent lying or embelishing things???

See how that works? Generally speaking when you have guys on a team bad mouthing other guys on the team, its because the ones doing the bad mouthing arent playing and think that the coaches are "out to get them"

T-mart is just like any other 20 year old kid, super great at times, super insecure at times, super fun at times, super lame at times. Only difference is, most 20 year old kids dont have a bunch of Super-V's attacking them and their family all the time.

Think for a second, do you really think T-mart is trying to do well? I hate to pull out the coaching card but I have coached for 10 years, kids dont play football to try and do bad.

• Fire 1

THIS, I totally agree with right now. I didn't see the game, have only seen the highlights, but from everything I've read and heard, Carnes looked better in the spring game the other day.

HOWEVER, based on what I've read from the coaches, it doesn't sound like they think that there's any meaning in that. It's also a spring game, with players divvied up in weird ways, and it's impossible to get a read on anything. Zach Taylor contributed at IB. Is he going to be a big contributor in the fall? Probably not.

If Brion takes over the job from Taylor, fantastic. We'll have a freshman all-american as our backup, which would say something about the new starter. However, I'll wait to see Carnes in some real action before I start buying into the notion that he's the best QB on the team.

If Carnes becomes the starter we won't have a freshman all-American back up because I highly doubt he'll be here. He's a lot like Eric Crouch in the sense that when things don't go his way he likes to let everyone know it and try to manipulate things to make it as such. To me that's T-Mart's biggest flaw. I know he had some of the Seniors on the team pissed off at him last year. Some of it was deserved and some of it not. Its kind of like when you decided you don't really care for someone. It becomes very hard to see what they do and say objectively even when they are right. You find a way to criticize the delivery of the message or just disagree with it altogether because you don't like them. I know TMart took a bunch of heat because he called out Niles Paul in the locker room for running his mouth and told him to stop blaming him and catch the damn ball. A bunch of the younger guys liked this because they were tired of Paul always hyping himself up but then never delivering. A bunch of the older guys got pissed because here was this guy who hadn't done anything and BTW has his own issues calling out their buddy. I guarantee that had Rex said that to NP it wouldn't have been as offensive. Either way. . he was right in the sense he needed to call out someone not getting it done as leaders do but he was very non leader like in the way he did it. I think this has to do with the way he was brought up and again. . it goes back to society's new issues not teaching people how to deal with adversity.

I think the real question becomes how much of the team does TMart have behind him? Can he get back some of the guys he lost? Or will he implode?

This is a really good post! Lots of time people decide to "hate" on a guy before they know him or because they think they are sticking up for a friend.

I am not going to buy into the hype just b/c he played better than Cody and Taylor for 1 day.

One day, in a scrimmage, in August, made Taylor the starter. Before that, he was the 3rd QB on the team.

Unless he has been kicking their butts all spring..

He has. It wasn't just the spring game where Brion has looked like the best QB on our team.

....and you know all of this how? :bs:

Considering that Carnes is having a fairly tough time understanding the offense, I'm going with :bs: too...

I'd have to agree with BigWillie here. Everything I have heard from people who are lucky enough to attend practices is that Martinez has had an unimpressive spring. I just hope Martinez can make a huge improvement in his passing and decision making, or Carnes gets the mental aspects of the offense down. We need a complete QB, or else we could see a repeat of last year.

I think this is exactly why Bo is leaning toward a TMart starter. Yes BC has looked very good at times this spring. But his biggest issue is still not understanding things 100%. He's made some plays off of natural ability just like Tmart did last year. But we see where that gets us once that ability is neutralized. You need to play within the offense or it will bite you in the ass when you're forced to run it and you don't understand it. I think Bo is getting criticized for doing this year what he didn't do last year and that's stand behind a guy who's seen the battle field.

At least this makes for an interesting summer and fall.

What does a person's sexual experience have to do with anything? Is that some kind of code on Rivals?

I have yet to see anything of value come from Rivals that I can't get anywhere else. People who pay for their information are suckers.

I had a rivals account for a little while. The only benefit to having the account is learning recruiting information faster than most other people out there. I used to see stuff pop up there that wouldn't show up on HB for days or weeks at a time.

That said, that is also it's greatest flaw. You spend money to learn information before anybody else. Good for you. Eventually, it shows up on HB and everybody knows about it so what's the point?

@ da skers, you raise a pretty good point. I think a very reasonable argument for Martinez starting is that both of these guys have shown great ability both running and throwing the football, but Martinez is already battle tested and will be able to play within the scheme. Carnes will be just like Martinez was a year ago - a freshman that will do good things but will struggle at times. I think those struggles will be lessened with Martinez.

And to those of you saying you can't succeed in college football unless you pass really well, have you all forgotten what got Nebraska to this stage of college football to begin with? We very rarely had a quarterback that was great at throwing the football. Different offenses from now and then, yes, but I can think of several great quarterbacks from the last decade who had bad mechanics and bad pocket presence but were still very successful college qb's. All you need is a guy who can put the ball where it needs to be in important situations. We don't need a great pocket passer in this offense.

This is all that I am saying really.

There's some reasons to be concerned, and some positive signs (IMO). We'll see how it plays out. The "you guys are bullying poor TM!" angle is ridiculous

Who was that last pocket passer that won a NC or even a BCS game for that matter?

Alabama won the NC two years ago with basically a solid running game and a passing QB who will probably be in the top 2 QB's selected and will probably have the longer of the two careers.

And then I believe it was Leinart before him.

So, we bag the guy for not being vocal, not leading the team, and hiding on the sidelines by himself and not talking to anyone (even though it's completely false). Then, when he tries to do something, get in a players face (who has been all over the place performance wise) and tells him to man up, and people get sandy vaginas. CAN NOT WIN.

Who was that last pocket passer that won a NC or even a BCS game for that matter?

Alabama won the NC two years ago with basically a solid running game and a passing QB who will probably be in the top 2 QB's selected and will probably have the longer of the two careers.

And then I believe it was Leinart before him.

Matt Flynn, LSU '07.

Gregg McElroy? Is that who you are talking about? I guess I did not think he will one of the first two QBs taken in the draft.

But you are right he was a passing QB. So we have him, flynn from LSU, did Luck win his BCS game?

Then "running" qbs in BCS games that won, Newton, Pryor has won a few I thought, That dude from TCU, heck thats all I can remember.