Spring Game Pics

Nexus

Martinez

Ball security is obviously an ongoing issue.....

That picture is taken out of context. Taylor was basically blindsided on the play because no one bothered to pick up the blitz. You can hardly expect a guy to tuck the ball when he's looking down field to make a play and someone is coming free off the edge behind him that he expecting to get blocked.

It's not like it's the first time he's palmed the ball instead of tucking it when going down...

Exactly. Once contact has been made, you tuck the ball away and make sure its secure. Regardless of the context, he failed to do so.

• Fire 1

Exactly. Once contact has been made, you tuck the ball away and make sure its secure. Regardless of the context, he failed to do so.

It's quotes like this which make me wonder if some of you guys even watch football. Martinez was hit on a blind-side blitz on this pic. You're telling me that in the fraction of a second from when he was hit to when he hit the turf, he should have tucked that ball?

Be realistic, please.

Martinez

That picture is taken out of context. Taylor was basically blindsided on the play because no one bothered to pick up the blitz. You can hardly expect a guy to tuck the ball when he's looking down field to make a play and someone is coming free off the edge behind him that he expecting to get blocked.

It's not like it's the first time he's palmed the ball instead of tucking it when going down...

OK, I'm going to put you into a live game situation and call a corner blitz on your blind-side, a blitz you have no idea is coming. When you get hit, you have less than 1.5 seconds to tuck the ball before you hit the ground.

Seriously, what quarterback ever reacts fast enough to tuck the ball after they've been hit on a blind side blitz that they didn't see coming? Not many I can think of...

• Fire 1

It's quotes like this which make me wonder if some of you guys even watch football. Martinez was hit on a blind-side blitz on this pic. You're telling me that in the fraction of a second from when he was hit to when he hit the turf, he should have tucked that ball?

Be realistic, please.

You're right Knapplc (as always), I've never watched a game of football in my life. Take a look at the pic. Martinez is sitting on the defender. It may have been from the blindside, but it wasn't one of those 'knock your head off' blindside hits. The defender wrapped Martinez up and ragdoll tossed him to the ground. Taylor had plenty of time to tuck the ball, yet he didn't.

• Fire 1

Be realistic, please.

You're right Knapplc (as always), I've never watched a game of football in my life. Take a look at the pic. Martinez is sitting on the defender. It may have been from the blindside, but it wasn't one of those 'knock your head off' blindside hits. The defender wrapped Martinez up and ragdoll tossed him to the ground. Taylor had plenty of time to tuck the ball, yet he didn't.

That was a solid hit, not some gentle grasp-and-roll. The whole thing took less than one second. One second to go from a passing stance to on the ground, when you had no idea the hit was coming, and you think Taylor should have tucked the ball.

You're right, Richard (as always). My apologies. Taylor should have tucked the ball.

Be realistic, please.

That was the first play from scrimmage for the red team, I believe, and it was a corner blitz from Martinez's blind side. Add to that the fact that Carl Pelini had said before the game he wasn't going to blitz at all, and I think it's a little unfair to criticize Martinez here. Should he have tucked the ball? Maybe, but probably 50% of NFL starters would have fumbled the ball under the same circumstances. Sometimes you can't see the guy coming, and it doesn't help when your own defensive coordinator is lying to you for the fun of it.

• Fire 1

Be realistic, please.

That play took less than 1.5 seconds and it is extremely unrealistic to expect a quarterback to tuck the ball under that type of situation. I daresay if you were put into the same circumstance, you wouldn't have tucked the ball either.

It's not about who is right and who is wrong. I understand people's opinions if they back them up intelligently and have a factual basis even if I don't agree with it. The point is that you're putting unrealistic expectations on a player in that type of situation. Put Green, Carnes, Kellog or any other quarterback we've had come through this university into that exact same situation and they would have fallen the same way.

And I don't mean to come off as holier than thou, but when I played football my first few years I played quarterback. I never once reacted fast enough to tuck the ball in this type of situation. Even if I got twisted around like Martinez did it's natural instinct to put your arms onto the ground and brace your fall - not tuck the ball and slam into the turf.

• Fire 1

Be realistic, please.

That play took less than 1.5 seconds and it is extremely unrealistic to expect a quarterback to tuck the ball under that type of situation. I daresay if you were put into the same circumstance, you wouldn't have tucked the ball either.

It's not about who is right and who is wrong. I understand people's opinions if they back them up intelligently and have a factual basis even if I don't agree with it. The point is that you're putting unrealistic expectations on a player in that type of situation. Put Green, Carnes, Kellog or any other quarterback we've had come through this university into that exact same situation and they would have fallen the same way.

And I don't mean to come off as holier than thou, but when I played football my first few years I played quarterback. I never once reacted fast enough to tuck the ball in this type of situation. Even if I got twisted around like Martinez did it's natural instinct to put your arms onto the ground and brace your fall - not tuck the ball and slam into the turf.

The reason his arm was flung out like that could be the momentum of getting swung around in a circle...thats just a pretty natural reaction to gravity when one is getting thrown

• Fire 1

Be realistic, please.

You're absolutely right. But then again, I'm not the starting QB of a highly ranked division I college football team.

I'm betting both of you were critical of Martinez's fumbling issues at some point during the last season. All I was pointing out was that ball security doesn't seem to have been a point of emphasis during spring ball.

I'm not going to sit here and argue on the internet (especially with you two), because as I've noticed on this board, if someone disagrees with you/thinks you're wrong, they'll argue with you until you're blue in the face. Simply not worth my time. Think what you want, and I'll think what I want. No need to convince me you are right and I am wrong.

• Fire 1

Martinez

OK, I'm going to put you into a live game situation and call a corner blitz on your blind-side, a blitz you have no idea is coming. When you get hit, you have less than 1.5 seconds to tuck the ball before you hit the ground.

Seriously, what quarterback ever reacts fast enough to tuck the ball after they've been hit on a blind side blitz that they didn't see coming? Not many I can think of...

Like I said, It's not like it's the first time he's palmed the ball instead of tucking it when going down...

"...corner blitz on your-blind side, a blitz you have no idea is coming." - A good QB would at least have an idea that it was coming, and maybe use his peripheral vision, but being that Taylor can't even get through 2 progressions on a play would kind of limit what else he can do. The fact that he has trouble with this ON TOP of ball security is painful to watch.

You're absolutely right. But then again, I'm not the starting QB of a highly ranked division I college football team.

I'm betting both of you were critical of Martinez's fumbling issues at some point during the last season. All I was pointing out was that ball security doesn't seem to have been a point of emphasis during spring ball.

I'm not going to sit here and argue on the internet (especially with you two), because as I've noticed on this board, if someone disagrees with you/thinks you're wrong, they'll argue with you until you're blue in the face. Simply not worth my time. Think what you want, and I'll think what I want. No need to convince me you are right and I am wrong.

I understand your position. And all I meant by the hypothetical situation is that even if you were a quarterback of a division one college football team, those type of plays are impossible to see sometimes.

I was critical of Martinez at times, as was everybody else. And I'm still critical of the fumbling issues on the team. That said, this isn't the type of situation where Martinez fumbled the ball last year, so it's not a very comparable situation. I'll leave it at that.

Like I said, It's not like it's the first time he's palmed the ball instead of tucking it when going down...

"...corner blitz on your-blind side, a blitz you have no idea is coming." - A good QB would at least have an idea that it was coming, and maybe use his peripheral vision, but being that Taylor can't even get through 2 progressions on a play would kind of limit what else he can do. The fact that he has trouble with this ON TOP of ball security is painful to watch.

He's still developing his on-the-field presence, as would any sophomore quarterback.

There are plenty of "good" quarterbacks out there that wouldn't have seen this. I have seen Peyton Manning get sacked from this exact type of blitz before and he had no idea it was coming. I've seen Tom Brady take this type of hit at least once as well. These are "good" quarterbacks, would you not agree? Yet they are susceptible to this.

I even specifically remember see Joe Flacco getting hit like this last year.

My point is a simple one - expecting a quarterback to pick up a blind-side blitz is not reasonable. In many situations, the only time they see it is just immediately before the hit, and any good quarterback who actually sees it would tuck the ball. Martinez did not see the blitz and this is clear as day. Harping on him for not protecting the ball in this hit is placing an extremely unrealistic expectation on Martinez.

• Fire 1

I agree with all of that in general, but I don't agree that Taylor is "developing" still. In fact with all of this "new offense" work he's been focusing on lately, he still hasn't seemed to fix his fundamentals.

The little I did see of him last Saturday might not have been enough to draw this conclusion yet, but for what it's worth heres what I have come up with.

1. Still Injured.

2. Still throwing off back foot.

3. Still Stares down receivers.

4. Still Has no progression ability.

5. Still has Accuracy issues.

6. Still No Pocket presence.

7. Still Has no drop back routine. (He ran the 2 step drop in High School)

8. Still has Issues getting rid of ball. (Instead scampers around trying to run when he has no clue where defenders are, getting thrown to the ground in the process.)

9. Game management issues. (Here is one thing he's a little better at.)

10. Low Football IQ

11. etc...

While you can argue that he hasn't had enough time to work on this stuff yet, I think he should at least have some of this stuff down by now. But until I see it for myself, I will stand by this. I would agree that fumbling is probably the least worrisome of all of his problems, but with as many as there are... why is this guy starting??

why is this guy starting??

Last year? Nobody better, we were told. Flawed as he is/was, Marty was the best choice. And through Missouri, most people saw what Bo apparently saw - an electric guy with game-changing legs. And when the wheels fell off TMart, Lee got injured. And Green has never seemed to click.

This year? He may not. I know it was just practice, but Carnes looked good. We'll see who wins the gig this Fall.