Taylor Martinez Sports Science

Oklahoma's Scoring Drives in the CCG:

2nd Quarter: 4 plays, 80 yards, TD

2nd Quarter: 12 plays, 71 yards, FG

2nd Quarter: 2 plays, 31 yards, TD

3rd Quarter: 9 plays, 59 yards, FG

4th Quarter: 11 plays, 55 yards, FG

You're telling me that the defense gives up scoring drives of 80, 71, 59 and 55 yards, and we're worried about Martinez' play more? I don't get it. Yes, Taylor had a crummy game, but you cannot say he lost it for us. The defense had field position to work with and gave up four scoring drives of 50+ yards. That is unacceptable.

You're telling me that the defense gives up scoring drives of 80, 71, 59 and 55 yards, and we're worried about Martinez' play more? I don't get it. Yes, Taylor had a crummy game, but you cannot say he lost it for us. The defense had field position to work with and gave up four scoring drives of 50+ yards. That is unacceptable.

The 80 yard TD drive would never have happened if Martinez never threw that pass, so it works both ways. The other three long drives you mentioned were FGs and some of them came off the turnovers I mentioned. Thats only 9 points. Your acting like our defense is supposed to be the Steel Curtain or something. Every defense gives up a few long drives a game. We gave up 6 points in the second half. 6! How many points did our offense score in the 2nd half to help the defense? Case closed. A team that cannot score over 20 points and cannot score at all in the 2nd half does not deserve to win.

The offense blew it. Our D was designed to make teams sustain drives, our Offense had to be able to score points at times to win games. The fact that the offense could not do this when necessary led to the offseason O staff changes.

Giving up 23 points including 7 on that 31 yard TD drive to an offense as good as Oklahoma's is no shameful thing when the Offense essentially assumed the fetal position after the first quarter. And they STILL had a chance to win it late. How about that halfback pass to Martinez? what a really great call. Or how many of you were screaming REX+WILDCAT in the 4th quarter?

Watson and the O staff shoulders the lion's share of the blame (read: 99%) for every single loss the last 2 seasons, not the D. That's why the coaches of the under-performers are gone(offense-scoring-points/receiver production much?). If you disagree, I'm sorry, but you just don't know jack about football.

Also: Notice how the changes on the D staff were not due to "lack of performance", but rather to fill positions of departing coaches.

Any astute observer of the last 3 NU football seasons understands that the offense has not been holding up it's HALF of the deal, and increasingly so each season(not to beat that horse any more, but really...).

• Fire 1

The 80 yard TD drive would never have happened if Martinez never threw that pass, so it works both ways. The other three long drives you mentioned were FGs and some of them came off the turnovers I mentioned. Thats only 9 points. Your acting like our defense is supposed to be the Steel Curtain or something. Every defense gives up a few long drives a game. We gave up 6 points in the second half. 6! How many points did our offense score in the 2nd half to help the defense? Case closed. A team that cannot score over 20 points and cannot score at all in the 2nd half does not deserve to win.

You're saying the ONLY reason the DEF gave up that four-play, 80-yard drive was because Martinez threw a horrible pass? Naaaah. <_<

I am not saying TMart had a good game. In fact, he had a crappy game (seven sacks, two turnovers). The offense as a whole had a horrible game (Rex & Roy each had turnovers, the O Line wasn't blocking for crap), but it seems like if any individual person gets blamed, it's Martinez (as of now - Watson was getting a TON of grief before he got canned).

Overall, this was a team loss. The QB played badly. Play calling was bad. The defense gave up long scoring drives. Our normally reliable RBs were in a funk. The O Line sucked. Lather, rinse, repeat. It was a miracle that we were up in the game at all, frankly. Oklahoma was a better team that day, and that's why they won. Hopefully we're fixing the problems we had, but we'll see.

You're saying the ONLY reason the DEF gave up that four-play, 80-yard drive was because Martinez threw a horrible pass? Naaaah.

When did I say that? I said it works both ways, if your going to blame the defense for giving up a long drive, you can also blame the offense for turning the ball over in the redzone. If we would have gotten a field goal (at least) on that possession, the 80 yrd. scoring drive would be a moot point.

And not once in my posts did I say the loss is because of Martinez and him only, I said he had a lot to do with the loss as did most of the players on offense. I don't think the defense is to blame. Hell, they only gave up 23 points to one of the top offenses in nation. I'd say that is pretty good.

You said "The 80 yard TD drive would never have happened if Martinez never threw that pass," as if that somehow answered my point about the defense giving up four scoring drives of 50+ yards, including a four-play 80-yard drive.

If you're saying the whole team is to blame for the loss, we're saying the same thing. If you're saying Martinez shoulders more of the blame, the facts don't back it up.

I am sick of this blame the player, blame Watson, blame anyone but the individual responsible for it.

Bo is the problem, he decides to play a player that is injured, that according to some is not qualified to play the position. Bo is responsible for the failure. .

Get off the kids who are trying their guts out. Blame the one that is responsible for the problems.

Our defense is better than it was and is moving in the right direction, but it has cost games, Washington II was a joke on both sides of the ball. WAh I do not want to play them again is crap. WE ARE NEBRASKA. PRIDE TRADITION ON AND ON.

Poor leadership at the top caused that loss. Who is that?

• Fire 1

You said "The 80 yard TD drive would never have happened if Martinez never threw that pass," as if that somehow answered my point about the defense giving up four scoring drives of 50+ yards, including a four-play 80-yard drive.

If you're saying the whole team is to blame for the loss, we're saying the same thing. If you're saying Martinez shoulders more of the blame, the facts don't back it up.

That is a true statement about that ONE scoring drive. If the INT was not thrown, they would not have gotten the ball on the 20 yrd. line and then the defense would not have given up an 80 yrd. TD drive. If we kick the field goal, who knows what would have happened on OUs next drive. Did the defense give up the TD, yes, did the offense have something to do with it by turning the ball over in the redzone, yes.

And no, we are not saying the same thing, you said in a earlier post the defense is to blame for this loss and Im saying they are not. It was the offense that cost us this game, not Martinez, not Helu, not Watson, the entire offense.

That is a true statement about that ONE scoring drive. If the INT was not thrown, they would not have gotten the ball on the 20 yrd. line and then the defense would not have given up an 80 yrd. TD drive. If we kick the field goal, who knows what would have happened on OUs next drive. Did the defense give up the TD, yes, did the offense have something to do with it by turning the ball over in the redzone, yes.

And no, we are not saying the same thing, you said in a earlier post the defense is to blame for this loss and Im saying they are not. It was the offense that cost us this game, not Martinez, not Helu, not Watson, the entire offense.

Then kindly explain how the entire offense allowed Oklahoma to score 23 points, giving up a 17-point lead, and surrendering four 50+ yard scoring drives.

It was both. Offense and defense cost us all games. Not one side or the other, it is a team.

Poor offensive production is due to poor coaching and the Head Coach is responsible for both sides of the ball.

Until Bo actually works the offense, or has someone he feels comfortable with we will continue to have offensive problems. Is Beck the answer. I honestly doubt it, but we will have a better idea after this year. If it is the same old thing, we will see coaching changes again next year.

Bo is a good coach, but a defensive coach to start with. He will grow to understand that he has to guide the team to what he wants offensively, and I think he has made an attempt this year. Is it the answer, we will know in January for sure.