Why Can't We Do This

Seriously I get the fact that the fullback has a huge part in husker history and it's usually a home-state husker playing the position but for the love of God please give up on the freaking power I. We haven't run an above average amount of I formation since the beginning of the 08' season, we have been recruiting qb's that are dual threat and we have been practicing the spread/zone read for over 3 years now. Do you guys want to put Taylor-a guy that has shown he has below average pocket presence and below average to average accuracy-to a pocket passer that's mainly under center? Do you want to move Taylor to a new position and put in Carnes and have another frosh at the starting qb spot? Do you want to start over and start recruiting pocket passers at qb?

Bottom line we have dual threat, mainly run first qb's (possibly aside from Carnes and Kellog-a walk on)who's main weapon is their feet.

T Mart-Def. run first

Green-Def. not the greatest passer possibly will get moved to TE

Carnes-Probably our best passer but still not polished enough to take the starting reins

Kellog-Probably better passer but still not as polished as he would need to be to take over as starting qb

You will probably see an i-formation eight times a game or so this upcoming year, maybe more if we spend a lot of time in the red zone. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Why do people think a formation works or doesn't work? There are an enormous number of plays which can be run out of any formation. It's more about attacking the weaknesses of the defense and taking advantage of the strengths of the offense. No reason a particular formation, like the I, can't be used in any offense. It's not like TO only ran power and triple option out of the I.

i dont think you guys quite understand my post.

its not exactly shock and awe that the Iformation can and still does work in both the NCAA and the NFL. cmon thats kinda obvious.

what im saying is that just because it works, it doesnt mean that it is the right fit for Nebraska U and it doesnt mean that we will be running primarily iform any time soon. it may happen some day but it certainly isnt gonna happen under Bo no matter how much some of you want it to. thats just the way it is and dreaming about it coming back all the time is just gonna leave you disappointed at the start of every season.

now of course we will run "some" iform, almost every team does. but it wont be 9/10 of the game it will likely be closer to 1/10 of the game.

• Fire 1

i love the old people, you guys are funny. that stuff is further gone than ya think whether ya like it or not...

Agree. I love reading posts that start out like this....."when Osborne was here...." or "When Tommie Frazier was the QB"

Seriously trade your Apex jacket in and get with the times. That style of offense is in the past, we may see it in flashes, but its pretty much out the door.

I just don't get how people can't see this. College football teams can be championship-level successful running any offense as long as it comes through in the clutch. I for one can't wait to see what Beck and Pelini have cooked up.

If it's half as effective as the D, it will be a very good year.

anonymous-frank-sinatra-8401034.jpg

first off the offense needs to be more than "half as effective as the D" if you wanna get to championship football as you talk. As far as an offense being successful in the clutch. Do you think we would run the zone read/triple option with a minute left in the game and down a score. Those two offenses are not based on coming through in the clutch, they are great for building leads and grinding out the clock. Yea you may pop one every once in a while, but more than likely not.

We did take a lot of snaps under center in the Spring Game, but we have to remember that what we showed there was not our new offense. I think a lot of what we saw was for entertainment value, for nostalgia's sake, like the FB scoring twice - don't hold your breath for stuff like that. Most likely we'll be in a version of the Spread/Pistol most of the time.

I agree with this. I loved seeing the FB scoring touchdowns but i highly doubt thats gonna happen in game situations. I think Pro ball is more about out-playcalling, and outscheming your opponent where college ball is more about imposing your will on the other team. When we ran option, we ran option better than anyone .We didnt try to do a million things different things.I hope they get back to more of that type of thing.