Why Can't We Do This

I've said it before and will say it again, there was no magic in the plays that we ran under TO. A majority of our playbook was taken from other teams and were concepts from other teams. In fact, until the national title runs TO's offenses came up short more often than not in big games against good teams. What happened during the run was a coaching staff that sold out 100% to get the best players on the field, and they were all on the same page giving everything they had to the game. Don't forget that run left TO in very poor health, which led him to step away. The level of talent in that staff, and their experience running that offense over years and years is what made it great. Not a series of lines on a notebook showing players where to go. It was about execution and physical football, something that our offensive staff isn't experienced enough to do at this point.

Fans often confuse the playbook with the success, it was a group of coaches with tremendous experience that had many years refining their craft and learning from their previous failures. It's not like TO could throw that playbook at them, we run through fall camp and go win a national title with Beck calling the plays.

Beck needs to install what he's comfortable with, and make sure all of the offensive staff is on the same page giving their all for the success on the field.

• Fire 3

i love the old people, you guys are funny. that stuff is further gone than ya think whether ya like it or not...

That's what they said in 1995 before we played Florida's Fun N' Gun offense.

62-24.

And the continuity at Nebraska since 1995 clearly would lead us to expect something similar on offense...

i love the old people, you guys are funny. that stuff is further gone than ya think whether ya like it or not...

62-24.

And the continuity at Nebraska since 1995 clearly would lead us to expect something similar on offense...

I'm not saying that they'll run it next year. The whole argument started when somebody implied you had to be a pocket passer in order to succeed out of the i-formation, which is just plain wrong.

Furthermore, people have been saying since the 1980's that the option is out of date and can't work in big-time college football, and that notion has been proven wrong time and time again. It doesn't matter what formation or personnel group you use, just how well you execute.

• Fire 1

Furthermore, people have been saying since the 1980's that the option is out of date and can't work in big-time college football, and that notion has been proven wrong time and time again. It doesn't matter what formation or personnel group you use, just how well you execute.

this is exactly right, georgia tech made it to the acc championship a couple years ago running the triple option, what matters most is getting the whole offense on the same page and everybody buying into the offense, then executing. it also takes good coaching and calling plays which plays to your teams strengths. our team is gonna be really fast, thats why the coaches are installing a up tempo get the defense on thier heels kinda offense. we have lots of speed and we are gonna try to utilize it

• Fire 1

62-24.

I'm not saying that they'll run it next year. The whole argument started when somebody implied you had to be a pocket passer in order to succeed out of the i-formation, which is just plain wrong.

well no crap you can!! but people are implying thats what we SHOULD run when in reality that just is not gonna happen under Bo. knowing a few players i know what the new offense is like but its not 90s NU style that much is for sure.

people are implying thats what we SHOULD run when in reality that just is not gonna happen under Bo. knowing a few players i know what the new offense is like but its not 90s NU style that much is for sure.

There are people who are preaching that we need to go back to the Triple-Option, but the diehards who truly believe that are few and far between, and (to my uncertain belief) not any of the regular football-talking folks around here. I would love to see a game with truly great triple-option play again, but like everyone else, I know we do not have the players (specifically the line) for that. So it's a wistful memory, just like the memories I have of our LBs crowding the line, 30 inches from the QB's face, getting ready to raise hell. We don't play that way anymore.... but I'd still like to see it.

people are implying thats what we SHOULD run when in reality that just is not gonna happen under Bo. knowing a few players i know what the new offense is like but its not 90s NU style that much is for sure.

There are people who are preaching that we need to go back to the Triple-Option, but the diehards who truly believe that are few and far between, and (to my uncertain belief) not any of the regular football-talking folks around here. I would love to see a game with truly great triple-option play again, but like everyone else, I know we do not have the players (specifically the line) for that. So it's a wistful memory, just like the memories I have of our LBs crowding the line, 30 inches from the QB's face, getting ready to raise hell. We don't play that way anymore.... but I'd still like to see it.

I'd "like" to see it because I took a little vicarius pride in being different than most other programs.

But mainly, I'd like to see us get back to "Leading" the changes in CFB and not so much following..

I really hated when we (someone?) decided that the WCO would be our next direction after we got rid of Solich..It worked, but was on the "down cycle" in successful trends and I'd rather we would concentrate on developing what was going to work for the next decade or so...The spread thing seems like even a faster "wiff and miss".

Defenses finally caught up with us around 2000, and it was inevitable that they'd learn to stop the WCO even when it didn't stop itself..(Never did seem to work for us against a defense with a pulse or durring crunch time).

It will be interesting to see what we come up with next..and I really really hope the naming of whatever "it" is never catches up with what we're doing..but I'm afraid a lot of us will just have to get most of our enjoyment by watching our Defense, and maybe for pure entertainment value...Watch old youtube clips of the "

" with our pretty white shoes...Or that crappy '95 thing that nobody likes bringing up anymore.
  • Fire 1

i dont think you guys quite understand my post.its not exactly shock and awe that the Iformation can and still does work in both the NCAA and the NFL. cmon thats kinda obvious.what im saying is that just because it works, it doesnt mean that it is the right fit for Nebraska U and it doesnt mean that we will be running primarily iform any time soon. it may happen some day but it certainly isnt gonna happen under Bo no matter how much some of you want it to. thats just the way it is and dreaming about it coming back all the time is just gonna leave you disappointed at the start of every season. now of course we will run "some" iform, almost every team does. but it wont be 9/10 of the game it will likely be closer to 1/10 of the game.

I've said it before and will say it again, there was no magic in the plays that we ran under TO. A majority of our playbook was taken from other teams and were concepts from other teams. In fact, until the national title runs TO's offenses came up short more often than not in big games against good teams. What happened during the run was a coaching staff that sold out 100% to get the best players on the field, and they were all on the same page giving everything they had to the game. Don't forget that run left TO in very poor health, which led him to step away. The level of talent in that staff, and their experience running that offense over years and years is what made it great. Not a series of lines on a notebook showing players where to go. It was about execution and physical football, something that our offensive staff isn't experienced enough to do at this point.Fans often confuse the playbook with the success, it was a group of coaches with tremendous experience that had many years refining their craft and learning from their previous failures. It's not like TO could throw that playbook at them, we run through fall camp and go win a national title with Beck calling the plays. Beck needs to install what he's comfortable with, and make sure all of the offensive staff is on the same page giving their all for the success on the field.

Both of these are spot on and should end this thread, especially the bold points.

You can't put the 1995 playbook with the 2010 team and get "62-24 National Championship results". Yeah yeah, we get it, our run was amazing, 60-4, 3 National Titles, 1 Should have been Heisman Trophy, should have been 5 National Titles in a row....awesome....we get it....that's our history, standards, and what we pride ourselves on.

But you can't put A and B together and expect to get C.

There were so many things that happened to make our run possible. These two guys hit it perfectly with the combination of getting the best athletes on the field and that the 1995 offense isn't going to take the field in 2011, and the sooner we realize that the better off we will be.

Besides, if Tom Osborne were still coaching, I have a hunch he would want to run a Spread-Option. Something that would attack defenses and keep them frustrated. Huh, that kind of sounds like the same thing now.

Oh no, that EVIL word....SPREAD!11! NOOEEZZZ!1!1!1!!

You can still be physical without running a "True" Option-Power I game. I have a feeling we will see a lot of the option, and we will still want to be physical, but as opposed to being exclusively in the I, we will be in a shotgun 4-5 Wide or Pistol formations. It's the same concept, just different formations, what is the big deal?

At least that's what I'm reading into when I read what our offense is going to look like.

We are doing the same thing now, getting our atheletes on the field, getting speed, speed, speed on BOTH sides of the ball,we weren't slow and big like Wisconsin's running backs today, we had speed EVERYWHERE, that is where we are going today, just like in the 90s.

Does that mean it will produce 1993-2001 results?

No.

Does this mean we will win National Championships or Conference Championships in the future?

That remains to be see, but I have faith in Bo and he believes that this is the way to go, and I can't wait to see our team when our offense can sustain drives and put up points when we need to and against a defense with a pulse.

Because if then....look out college football world...the Huskers are going to be a force to deal with.

• Fire 1

You can still be physical without running a "True" Option-Power I game. I have a feeling we will see a lot of the option, and we will still want to be physical, but as opposed to being exclusively in the I, we will be in a shotgun 4-5 Wide or Pistol formations. It's the same concept, just different formations, what is the big deal?

At least that's what I'm reading into when I read what our offense is going to look like.

I'm hoping we figure out how to do this. KU had some success with that big RB (Operum?) and Florida with Tebow. I can't think of any other spread teams that had a power running component to their offense. IMO it's hard to marry those 2 concepts: spreading out and running with power. If we can find a way to do it, I think the results will be good to great (not necessarily this season).

lol at the comments regarding the old vs young minds.

Truths:

1. The option works, did then, does now (see G Tech and OU's Diamond offense)

2. The option offense is outdated, has been for 15 years but... it works when not the primary scheme

3. We (both us older and you younger) forget, when TO was running the option he was able to recruit the best because he was the best coach running the option. While the majority of other programs were running a version of the pro-set and competing with each other for recruits, TO stuck with tradition and power and recruited against only a few other programs (Mainly Notre Dame) for the power eye players.

and lastly...

4. I can't help but roll my eyes when reading comments like "I have friends and they say". Really? Come on, if they're talking to you they'd be talking to the media and they aren't. Take the advice of an old timer, avoid saying "I have friends" it simply doesn't hold weight and is laughable.

lol at the comments regarding the old vs young minds.

Truths:

1. The option works, did then, does now (see G Tech and OU's Diamond offense)

2. The option offense is outdated, has been for 15 years but... it works when not the primary scheme

3. We (both us older and you younger) forget, when TO was running the option he was able to recruit the best because he was the best coach running the option. While the majority of other programs were running a version of the pro-set and competing with each other for recruits, TO stuck with tradition and power and recruited against only a few other programs (Mainly Notre Dame) for the power eye players.

and lastly...

4. I can't help but roll my eyes when reading comments like "I have friends and they say". Really? Come on, if they're talking to you they'd be talking to the media and they aren't. Take the advice of an old timer, avoid saying "I have friends" it simply doesn't hold weight and is laughable.

i assume this bold print is targeted at myself. now i will agree that what is said to me by players on the team currently may not hold water to you but as the person getting the first hand info myself, im sure that it is accurate.

now, did i or anyone else in this thread say that the option will not or can not work in a modern offense or scheme? no, they didnt and if someone did then they obviously do not know what they are talking about. we are merely saying that nebraska U will not be running the triple option as their base scheme. we will obviously be running some option plays just like almost any other team does including pro set teams but we are not going to run option right, option left, and option pass the whole game just isnt gonna happen.

trust me im a fan of the option but being realistic i know that we are not going to be running the triple option base this season or for that matter any season under bo pelini.