Big Ten to push back start times?

Nexus

For as long as this college football fan can remember, the Big Ten has started its Saturdays in the fall at noon eastern. As a kid growing up in Chicago, this was a pretty sweet deal. I could sleep in a bit on Saturday mornings and when I woke up --BAM! -- college football. Honestly, that habit hasn't really changed much as I've grown older, but it sounds like I may have to watch the ACC and Big East for an hour before the Big Ten games begin. That's because, according to a report in the Quad City Times, Jim Delany is trying to make it so that the noon eastern start times are a thing of the past. Instead, he wants to push the start of Big Ten games back an hour.

Continue Reading

11 a.m. games suck!

True, they do suck alot. But, we will never have to order PPV for a game ever again! Which also means no more Ticket Express commercials!

Hey--don't knock the Ticket Express commercials. The chick on those commercials was hot.

Then again, the commercials were always muted, but that just adds to the fantasy. :corndance

Won't happen, unless its BTN games only.

Agree also. If Delaney gets his way, every single game will be pushed back 1 hour, too many regional games on ABC/ESPN networks to make just the bigten games do it. Imagine starting to watch one game at 2:30pm. Then at 3:30pm cut immediately into another game on the same channel that is in the area of coverage. For example ABC starts covering OkieLight/OU at 2:30pm, then at 3:30 it cuts into Nebraska/Michigan because thats the game in the area to cover. Then OkieLight/OU fans would have to switch over to ESPN2 or ESPN classic to finishing watching their game. It will upset alot of college football fans in general,like myself.

However if it was just for BigTen network in general, I would be all for it.

As a Iowa and Big Ten Fan I would not want this to happen. I do believe that these 12:00 EST are good for the conference as it is the only conferance to play that early (I think) which gives our teams more national exposure.

Question, what was or is the Big 12 time slots. Also what are the advantages to moving back start times one hour?

Nothing better than tailgating at 7 am, passed out by 7 pm.

11 a.m. games suck!

True, they do suck alot. But, we will never have to order PPV for a game ever again! Which also means no more Ticket Express commercials!

Hey--don't knock the Ticket Express commercials. The chick on those commercials was hot.

Then again, the commercials were always muted, but that just adds to the fantasy. :corndance

:lol: She's lucky she was pretty hot, othewise she would have nothing going for her.

Okay correct me if I am wrong, but won't the early kick off times hurt our Game Day on campus recruiting visits? Now that you have to fly them commercially it will be tough for kids to get there in time for an 11:00AM or heck even a noon kickoff? I haven't driven from Omaha to Lincoln on Game Day but that has to be one big mess and the closer you get to game time the longer the drive takes. At least with 2:30 kickoff's we had a couple extra hours to get guys here.

How many 11:00 AM games did we have last year? Of those 11:00 AM games how many guys did we have come for visits. Just thinking about the overall impact of the different game times.