Nebraska Booted from the AAU

The way to rise in the criteria of the AAU and other rankings is well-known to those running the NU System. That is to find a way to be able to bring the two research-intensive institutions, UNMC and UNL, under a single administration, as they had been at the time of the university's induction into the AAU in 1909. The 'University of Nebraska' at that time was the school in Lincoln, and that university had bought a little down on its luck medical school in Omaha in 1902.

It is not important that the 'flagship' institutions share a home city. What is important is that they share an administration. For an example, look south to Kansas. KU is in Lawrence. The KU Medical Center is in Kansas City. They are, for reporting purposes, the same institution.

If you want a really opposite example from the other end of the Big Ten, Penn State's President Graham Spanier oversees the whole 22-campus operation from the flagship campus in State College, and reports all of the 90-some thousand students, all the research dollars, everything.

This is all about small-minded Nebraska politics, Omaha-Lincoln sibling tensions, entrenched interests in the administrations at UNL, UNMC and perhaps most important, the system office. Now we'll see if they can do the right thing for the state, which would involve rejoining UNL and UNMC (at least) as a single University of Nebraska.

In the end, you can hardly blame the AAU, as we effectively had a ten-year warning. The fact that both the AAU president, Berdahl, and the guy running the review committee, Faulkner, are former presidents of UT-Austin doesn't escape notice, though.

Combinding Unl and UNMC would bethe makings of a great university system that would greatly improve the college's national reputation. Plus, I think the system as whole would get more of the CIC's reasearch dollars, because now the medical center has zero chance at that money. I love football and our national football reputation, but I would like to see the University build itself as a whole package: academics and sports. But can we even add UNMC to UNL? I am wondering the b10. If the univerisity system(s) wised up decided to make a super university, would it have to be reapproved by the b10?

The way to rise in the criteria of the AAU and other rankings is well-known to those running the NU System. That is to find a way to be able to bring the two research-intensive institutions, UNMC and UNL, under a single administration, as they had been at the time of the university's induction into the AAU in 1909. The 'University of Nebraska' at that time was the school in Lincoln, and that university had bought a little down on its luck medical school in Omaha in 1902.

It is not important that the 'flagship' institutions share a home city. What is important is that they share an administration. For an example, look south to Kansas. KU is in Lawrence. The KU Medical Center is in Kansas City. They are, for reporting purposes, the same institution.

If you want a really opposite example from the other end of the Big Ten, Penn State's President Graham Spanier oversees the whole 22-campus operation from the flagship campus in State College, and reports all of the 90-some thousand students, all the research dollars, everything.

This is all about small-minded Nebraska politics, Omaha-Lincoln sibling tensions, entrenched interests in the administrations at UNL, UNMC and perhaps most important, the system office. Now we'll see if they can do the right thing for the state, which would involve rejoining UNL and UNMC (at least) as a single University of Nebraska.

In the end, you can hardly blame the AAU, as we effectively had a ten-year warning. The fact that both the AAU president, Berdahl, and the guy running the review committee, Faulkner, are former presidents of UT-Austin doesn't escape notice, though.

Combining UNL and UNMC would be the makings of a great university system that would greatly improve the college's national reputation. Plus, I think the system as whole would get more of the CIC's research dollars, because now the medical center has zero chance at that money. I love football and our national football reputation, but I would like to see the University build itself as a whole package: academics and sports. But can we even add UNMC to UNL? I am wondering the b10. If the university system(s) wised up decided to make a super university, would it have to be reapproved by the b10?

First, CIC isn't really about money, though. It's about research collaborations that lead to research grants.

Regarding whether we'd be 'allowed' to (re)combine UNL and UNMC? Sure we would. The CIC would welcome that; certainly welcome it more than when CIC schools have to drop programs due to declining state support.

The B1G/CIC is in all likelihood, though probably not publicly, going to want to see a plan from UNL to regain the AAU membership. The splitting of the national research components of the system (UNL and UNMC) from the metropolitan (UNO) and regional (UNK) parts of the system are the ONLY way to make that happen that evens the playing field with other universities in the AAU membership. Regaining AAU status without making that move is a near-impossibility, like being in the national championship conversation in football while under scholarship restrictions. It's one hand tied behind your back.

Internally, you make a great point about CIC. Whatever the egos involved, UNMC deserves CIC stature, and reorganizing to give UNMC the association with UNL would give them that.

Ask yourself what changed.

12 years of governors squeezing funding for the state universities hasn't helped.

I would be very interested to see how state funding for UNL per student compares to other schools in the AAU. Not trying to be overly political here but it seems like every time there's a budget problem in this state schools are the first in line for cuts.

You're more right than you may know.

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln announced $5.1 million in budget cuts in early April. There is a budget proposal meeting on May 10th, where faculty members and other concerned parties can come and voice their opinions.

Needless to say, there's probably nothing they can do. I'm currently writing a story about some of the programs that have had proposed cuts. It's a sad situation. It's people's jobs and people's education that are affected by this, not just the money.

Combining UNL and UNMC would be the makings of a great university system that would greatly improve the college's national reputation. Plus, I think the system as whole would get more of the CIC's research dollars, because now the medical center has zero chance at that money. I love football and our national football reputation, but I would like to see the University build itself as a whole package: academics and sports. But can we even add UNMC to UNL? I am wondering the b10. If the university system(s) wised up decided to make a super university, would it have to be reapproved by the b10?

First, CIC isn't really about money, though. It's about research collaborations that lead to research grants.

Regarding whether we'd be 'allowed' to (re)combine UNL and UNMC? Sure we would. The CIC would welcome that; certainly welcome it more than when CIC schools have to drop programs due to declining state support.

The B1G/CIC is in all likelihood, though probably not publicly, going to want to see a plan from UNL to regain the AAU membership. The splitting of the national research components of the system (UNL and UNMC) from the metropolitan (UNO) and regional (UNK) parts of the system are the ONLY way to make that happen that evens the playing field with other universities in the AAU membership. Regaining AAU status without making that move is a near-impossibility, like being in the national championship conversation in football while under scholarship restrictions. It's one hand tied behind your back.

Internally, you make a great point about CIC. Whatever the egos involved, UNMC deserves CIC stature, and reorganizing to give UNMC the association with UNL would give them that.

I only ask the question about the having to re-apply to the big 10 if in the unlikely event that UNMC becomes part of UNL I remembered something I read a few months ago about the big10 wanting to clarify that UNO and UNMC will not be given CIC stature. I understand that is because they are seperate entities now, but is it possible that UNMC is not perceived as an adequate medical school, even if it becomes part of the UNL system? I really don't know how they're ranked, rated, and perceived within the medical community.

You're kidding?

I totally LOVE this person's take on Nebraska getting booted out of the AAU:

http://bigtwen.blogspot.com/2011/04/no-nus-club.html

"But take heart, Nebraska fans: the AAU is a silly, increasingly irrelevant club. A few hundred academics at a few dozen universities decide which schools meet their necessary criteria (i.e., where would I be willing to teach if I were not already a tenured faculty member at Brown). Its criteria for membership are such that having top scholars on really, really important topics, like Jacques Derrida and the social meaning of boredom, but not things like producing more and safer foodstuffs. It has not admitted a new member in 10 years, because, hey, all the good work is already being done somewhere else, amirite? Besides, no one wants to live in Lincoln, Cornhuskers; it's bad enough I have to teach two lecture classes this semester and one of them meets on Fridays."

This was a good blog entry. GBR!!!

• Fire 1