Russell Wilson pursued by Nebraska

I don't get this debate. It should have been eminently clear to everyone that Taylor Martinez was going to be a multi-year starter no matter what when he took the first snap against W. Kentucky. Unless his leg completely falls off, he's the guy, and we're not bringing anyone else in.

This ship sailed a year ago. Doesn't matter how good Wilson is.

If this is indeed true, then the university needs to be seriously evaluating Bo's ability to successfully coach a football team instead of giving him raises.

Haha... really? Wow.

Haha... Yes, really. Coaches that dismiss opportunities to put the best players on the field should be critically evaluated. Wow!

Best player based on your opinion?

It's plainly obvious that Bo has done a pretty damn good job of getting talent on the field even if that means benching a starter. I'm amazed at how many people think he has some sort of blind loyalty to certain players.

...So do you agree with me that IFhe did have an unreasonable preferential bias, or "blind-loyalty" to a certain player that he, as a head-coach, should be critically evaluated? Because that's what I just said...

And to address what you said earlier... If something like a transfer quarterback is able to divide the team (especially given the circumstances), then I would have to seriously question these young men and their drive to win football games.

Sure, if he did. But the evidence is absolutely overwhelming that he is not that way, at all. It sounds as if you're throwing crap against the wall, and hoping it sticks.

As for your second statement, it has nothing to do with drive. If you see a new guy come in and get handed the keys without putting the same effort in as everyone else (Keller) then it's a slap in the face. Wilson is going to go somewhere where he is made the starter, period. How can you then trust your coaches who preach competition all day long?

not no but tahell NO!

there is not a reason to take a full season of playing time from a player that needs more in game experience. this would be almost as stupid as taking sam keller and playing him over joe ganz. im glad some of you arent running the team because if you were we would have different players at every position every season and never get any continuity. continuity makes a team good, not a "one year stand qb that played in a poor conference".

So you're saying that players like Cam Newton can't just transfer in for a year and make a difference?

if cam newton wants to transfer in from the NFL then please by all means!!!!

just because he was a transfer doesnt mean that every transfer is cameron newton...

So transfer quarterbacks can't make a difference unless they're Cam Newton... or Ryan Mallett or Nick Foles or GJ Kinne. Or the vast number of successful transfer quarterbacks from years past.

Apparently they cant according to some. Nobody is arguing that Wilson is Cam Newton, people are just noting the success Cam had at Auburn last year. If Wilson is better than what we got right now, than I have no problem bringing him in. In college football its a must win NOW for programs like Nebraska. If a transfer can come in and win the job from a previous year starter, than thats on the player for not improving his game enough to hold down the job.

Wilson wasnt the bigtime recruit that Newton was orginally. Keller/Ganz were polar opposites when comparing recruiting classes. Keller was a stud alot of people wanted, Ganz was nobody wanted besides Nebraska.

i dont think that anyone has said that a transfer cant be successful. what people are saying is, "why would you want to possibly hurt team chemistry by bringing this guy in when we clearly have 1 or more very capable qbs already in the system that know the system and dont have to learn a playbook in 4 months?" I have personally played college ball for a short time in the past and i can tell you that learning a playbook in a short amount of time is no easy task no matter how smart said player is. the playbook that i had to learn was exactly 206 pages long and full of terms that i had never heard before that.

now i know that some of you have issues with martinez as the starter but i would think that it would be painfully obvious that the person that matters (Bo Pelini) knows that Martinez can and will do the job as the starter. discussion is one thing but having a grudge against a particular player because you dont like the way he stands on the sidelines or talks to freakin steven sipple is a completely different thing.

at the end of the day bo will watch practice and decide on a qb and from what i know, that guy is martinez.

The issues I have had with Martinez are the very same ones that are shared by many on this board, so singling me out "with my issues" is bush league. Overall, im done with it..... cause its a very sensitve subject for Martinez fans.

If Wilson does come here, it means that Bo feels he can contribute to the team, it also means our QB situation is in some serious trouble. I have said, I dont feel one year guys are the answer, but with the reasons I stated in the previous sentence, I have no problem with it.

They are gonna talk about Wilsons situation on CFB live.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

He comes in for one year and lets say takes a job from Taylor or someone else. Taylor might transfer, and we dont need to lose his skill. We have plenty of depth, and Russell only creates more questions.

I understand at first glance it seems like a good idea to add a guy with his level of talent, but it would take him a while to learn the playbook and if he comes here he will expect to start.. that really messes with the progression of Carnes and Martinez.

I know the counter argument will be : If he gives this team the best chance at winning, it is worth it.

I will argue that he hurts this team more in the long run than he helps them in the short run.

Zero interest in Russell.

I would be totally okay with risking a Taylor Martinez transfer for one year of Russell Wilson.

Not only is it a dice roll to bring in a wildcard for one year and hope he does something, but you are also mortgaging the teams future by removing a year of experience for your otherwise would be starter. Russell could maybe win us 1 more game is a pretty tough year, but that could also cost us dearly down the road.

I'm not a fan of 1 year guys.

I don't think it's any more of a gamble than expecting quantum leap improvement from a chronically injured quarterback who has played miserably as of late. If Martinez hasn't improved, then I would hope that the coaches "remove a year of experience" from him- I don't think anyone wants him to gain experience at the expense of losing games.. Adding Wilson to the roster could add some stability to a team that will undoubtedly still be working the kinks out of new coaches and a new playbook.

I never named martinez. I said "starter." Whether it's Carnes, Martinez, or Green, bringing in an above average QB is not worth it. One of those three will be starting for the next 2 years or more. Bringing in another short term wildcard is a bad idea. It's also much more likely that a guy like Wilson comes in and splits the team (like Keller) because many feel he is handed the job.

What about this scenario:

Bo and Beck are disappointed with Martinez's progress and/or health and are highly concerned about him playing QB at Nebraska.

They (Bo and Beck) like what Carnes has to offer, but still believe that he would benefit from a year of learning the offense as a backup rather than the starter.

Cody Green is about as useful as a hammer with no handle, and can only be counted on for spot duty here or there.

What to do?

Bring in a kid who is mature and can step in a la Cam Newton for one year. He will not impede Carnes' ultimate ascension to the throne, but avoids the drawbacks of pushing Carnes out there a bit too early.

Russell Wilson comes in and leads the team to a BIG title in 2011, Carnes steps in and helps the team contend for an MNC in 2012.

Not saying that is what Bo and Beck are thinking, or what will happen, but if for whatever reason they've decided Martinez isn't cut out for it, then you can begin to see the value in having a proven commodity like Russell Wilson come in and gap fill for a year.

If we're talking what if's and ridiculous scenarios, why not have me come sling it around. It's just as likely as Wilson showing up and actually being successful and I'll even walk on. :facepalm:

Cam Newton is the exception, not the rule. He's the only 1 year player in the history of College Football to do what he did, and it took enormous breaks to accomplish those feats.

True, but we don't need Russell Wilson to win the Heisman and the MNC in one year, either. Somewhere between that and the complete suckage that Martinez offered at the end of last year might lie something like, I dunno, a conference championship and a bowl win?

I know it's not quite the same, but Levonte David was a JUCO exactly like Cam Newton (in fact, they played against each other in the JUCO national championship) and played his way into the top guy on our D along with Dennard and Crick, and got a nod as a conference standout.

I agree that the odds of Wilson being exactly like Cam Newton are slim to none, but I'd be more than thrilled if he was "merely" the Levonte David of QBs.

I don't get this debate. It should have been eminently clear to everyone that Taylor Martinez was going to be a multi-year starter no matter what when he took the first snap against W. Kentucky. Unless his leg completely falls off, he's the guy, and we're not bringing anyone else in.

This ship sailed a year ago. Doesn't matter how good Wilson is.

If this is indeed true, then the university needs to be seriously evaluating Bo's ability to successfully coach a football team instead of giving him raises.

Haha... really? Wow.

Haha... Yes, really. Coaches that dismiss opportunities to put the best players on the field should be critically evaluated. Wow!

Best player based on your opinion?

It's plainly obvious that Bo has done a pretty damn good job of getting talent on the field even if that means benching a starter. I'm amazed at how many people think he has some sort of blind loyalty to certain players.

...So do you agree with me that IFhe did have an unreasonable preferential bias, or "blind-loyalty" to a certain player that he, as a head-coach, should be critically evaluated? Because that's what I just said...

And to address what you said earlier... If something like a transfer quarterback is able to divide the team (especially given the circumstances), then I would have to seriously question these young men and their drive to win football games.

Sure, if he did. But the evidence is absolutely overwhelming that he is not that way, at all. It sounds as if you're throwing crap against the wall, and hoping it sticks.

As for your second statement, it has nothing to do with drive. If you see a new guy come in and get handed the keys without putting the same effort in as everyone else (Keller) then it's a slap in the face. Wilson is going to go somewhere where he is made the starter, period. How can you then trust your coaches who preach competition all day long?

You seem to assume that Wilson being named a starter automatically means that he did not deserve it. Do you think it's possible for Russell Wilson to come to Nebraska and actually deserve a starting spot ahead of Martinez based on merit? If so, then where's the problem?

And if you think Bo is capable of starting Wilson ahead of Martinez without him having earned that spot, what makes you so confident that Bo didn't or won't do that with Martinez himself relative to the QBs we already have on the roster?

Saunders, meet rock. Rock and Saunders, meet hardplace.

Bo and Beck are disappointed with Martinez's progress and/or health and are highly concerned about him playing QB at Nebraska.

They (Bo and Beck) like what Carnes has to offer, but still believe that he would benefit from a year of learning the offense as a backup rather than the starter.

Cody Green is about as useful as a hammer with no handle, and can only be counted on for spot duty here or there.

What to do?

Bring in a kid who is mature and can step in a la Cam Newton for one year. He will not impede Carnes' ultimate ascension to the throne, but avoids the drawbacks of pushing Carnes out there a bit too early.

Russell Wilson comes in and leads the team to a BIG title in 2011, Carnes steps in and helps the team contend for an MNC in 2012.

Not saying that is what Bo and Beck are thinking, or what will happen, but if for whatever reason they've decided Martinez isn't cut out for it, then you can begin to see the value in having a proven commodity like Russell Wilson come in and gap fill for a year.

That is a lucid and wholly believable scenario. I doubt it happens, but it's possible. +1 for good measure.

Lol. Thanks, knap. Jolly good. I doubt it is accurate too. I give it a less than 10% chance of being accurate. But if Wilson does end up coming to Nebraska--or even if Nebraska goes hard after him--I think it would be reasonable to conclude that something is seriously amiss with Martinez, at least in Bo and Beck's eyes.

In short, Wilson coming to Nebraska would confirm there are big issues with Martinez.

Out of curiosity, anyone know if Wilson still has a redshirt year available? Or is it one and done?

What to do?

That is a lucid and wholly believable scenario. I doubt it happens, but it's possible. +1 for good measure.

Lol. Thanks, knap. Jolly good. I doubt it is accurate too. I give it a less than 10% chance of being accurate. But if Wilson does end up coming to Nebraska--or even if Nebraska goes hard after him--I think it would be reasonable to conclude that something is seriously amiss with Martinez, at least in Bo and Beck's eyes.

In short, Wilson coming to Nebraska would confirm there are big issues with Martinez.

Out of curiosity, anyone know if Wilson still has a redshirt year available? Or is it one and done?

I don't believe he used a redshirt. However, since he will be a graduate student, I don't think he will be able to use one at his future school...

My big question is: where did this notion of Nebraska "pursuing" Wilson come from? I've been looking and can't find any list of schools that have shown interest in him yet... Not saying that there aren't any, just saying that they probably haven't been released yet.

I think Hujan outlined a very good potential reason for why we might/should pursue this kid. All bets are off as to how he would do once arriving, but the pre-arrival storyline there does not sound unbelievable by any stretch.

It's a plinko machine's worth of "what if's."

What to do?

I don't believe he used a redshirt. However, since he will be a graduate student, I don't think he will be able to use one at his future school...

My big question is: where did this notion of Nebraska "pursuing" Wilson come from? I've been looking and can't find any list of schools that have shown interest in him yet... Not saying that there aren't any, just saying that they probably haven't been released yet.

ESPN radio down here in Raliegh has been talking about this for the last couple days mostly what i have heard is that you probably wont ontell he signs somewhere there are atleast 2 SEC schools interested On being Auburn. The kid has talent and took a talent limited team and put them at 10 - 4. If you think about it that is what NU ended the season with. Nebraska IS more talented the NC state. With better weapons to throw to and run behind he could very good.

IMO T-Mart needs a year of rest and learning before he should be taking team back. I think all the qb in our line up could learn something from an experinced college QB that is known for his hard work. The Rockies drafted him becuase theyt like his work ethic but he is hitting low 200s in the minors so he wants to come back to football. The NC state fanbase is pretty upset the released him. I dont know if he will fit at nebraska or not but i sure would like to see him try.

I see Wilson's deal as a Masoli-esque situation to be honest. Expecting that a solid player that will be as good in your system (better conference) with one summer under his belt as he was after a few years at another school (worse conference) is probably asking a little too much.

not no but tahell NO!

there is not a reason to take a full season of playing time from a player that needs more in game experience. this would be almost as stupid as taking sam keller and playing him over joe ganz. im glad some of you arent running the team because if you were we would have different players at every position every season and never get any continuity. continuity makes a team good, not a "one year stand qb that played in a poor conference".

So you're saying that players like Cam Newton can't just transfer in for a year and make a difference?

if cam newton wants to transfer in from the NFL then please by all means!!!!

just because he was a transfer doesnt mean that every transfer is cameron newton...

So transfer quarterbacks can't make a difference unless they're Cam Newton... or Ryan Mallett or Nick Foles or GJ Kinne. Or the vast number of successful transfer quarterbacks from years past.

Apparently they cant according to some. Nobody is arguing that Wilson is Cam Newton, people are just noting the success Cam had at Auburn last year. If Wilson is better than what we got right now, than I have no problem bringing him in. In college football its a must win NOW for programs like Nebraska. If a transfer can come in and win the job from a previous year starter, than thats on the player for not improving his game enough to hold down the job.

Wilson wasnt the bigtime recruit that Newton was orginally. Keller/Ganz were polar opposites when comparing recruiting classes. Keller was a stud alot of people wanted, Ganz was nobody wanted besides Nebraska.

i dont think that anyone has said that a transfer cant be successful. what people are saying is, "why would you want to possibly hurt team chemistry by bringing this guy in when we clearly have 1 or more very capable qbs already in the system that know the system and dont have to learn a playbook in 4 months?" I have personally played college ball for a short time in the past and i can tell you that learning a playbook in a short amount of time is no easy task no matter how smart said player is. the playbook that i had to learn was exactly 206 pages long and full of terms that i had never heard before that.

now i know that some of you have issues with martinez as the starter but i would think that it would be painfully obvious that the person that matters (Bo Pelini) knows that Martinez can and will do the job as the starter. discussion is one thing but having a grudge against a particular player because you dont like the way he stands on the sidelines or talks to freakin steven sipple is a completely different thing.

at the end of the day bo will watch practice and decide on a qb and from what i know, that guy is martinez.

The issues I have had with Martinez are the very same ones that are shared by many on this board, so singling me out "with my issues" is bush league. Overall, im done with it..... cause its a very sensitve subject for Martinez fans.

If Wilson does come here, it means that Bo feels he can contribute to the team, it also means our QB situation is in some serious trouble. I have said, I dont feel one year guys are the answer, but with the reasons I stated in the previous sentence, I have no problem with it.

They are gonna talk about Wilsons situation on CFB live.

i guess i dont recall singling you out? never once did i say "huskerscott", i replied to you in that post because you replied to my post not to try to single you out.

you are correct the issues that you have with martinez are shared with the minority of the board. however, those of you whom do feel that way base it off of issues that you have no direct knowledge of. it is just a bunch of conspiracy theories when it was obvious to everyone else that martinez played hurt but that is commonly pushed to the side as rubbish to some on this board and only this board.

i just hope that when he proves some of you wrong by the end of his career that you are here to eat some crow, because if i am wrong i will certainly be here to do the same.

I see Wilson's deal as a Masoli-esque situation to be honest. Expecting that a solid player that will be as good in your system (better conference) with one summer under his belt as he was after a few years at another school (worse conference) is probably asking a little too much.

Nebraska > Ole Miss

Bo > Nutt

We've seen what this team can accomplish with mediocre QB play the last couple years. I feel like Wilson would be in a situation where he could have a lot more success than Masoli, but I see what you're saying.

i guess i dont recall singling you out? never once did i say "huskerscott", i replied to you in that post because you replied to my post not to try to single you out.

you are correct the issues that you have with martinez are shared with the minority of the board. however, those of you whom do feel that way base it off of issues that you have no direct knowledge of. it is just a bunch of conspiracy theories when it was obvious to everyone else that martinez played hurt but that is commonly pushed to the side as rubbish to some on this board and only this board.

i just hope that when he proves some of you wrong by the end of his career that you are here to eat some crow, because if i am wrong i will certainly be here to do the same.

So Martinez did exactly the same thing Lee did the year prior. He lit up the competition early on in the year, got hurt and had a crappy finish to the season. I didn't see Lee starting the following year. Not sure why everyone is so confident Martinez will be this year. A scout team WR unseated Lee - Martinez has some legitimate competition behind him. Not saying it will happen - but I personally can't see how as the 2010 season fades away, people's confidence in Martinez continues to grow and grow. This same thread would have had a very different tone to it in January. What's changed that makes everyone so much more confident today?