Russell Wilson pursued by Nebraska

i guess i dont recall singling you out? never once did i say "huskerscott", i replied to you in that post because you replied to my post not to try to single you out.

you are correct the issues that you have with martinez are shared with the minority of the board. however, those of you whom do feel that way base it off of issues that you have no direct knowledge of. it is just a bunch of conspiracy theories when it was obvious to everyone else that martinez played hurt but that is commonly pushed to the side as rubbish to some on this board and only this board.

i just hope that when he proves some of you wrong by the end of his career that you are here to eat some crow, because if i am wrong i will certainly be here to do the same.

So Martinez did exactly the same thing Lee did the year prior. He lit up the competition early on in the year, got hurt and had a crappy finish to the season. I didn't see Lee starting the following year. Not sure why everyone is so confident Martinez will be this year. A scout team WR unseated Lee - Martinez has some legitimate competition behind him. Not saying it will happen - but I personally can't see how as the 2010 season fades away, people's confidence in Martinez continues to grow and grow. This same thread would have had a very different tone to it in January. What's changed that makes everyone so much more confident today?

Not at all. Lee looked good against the sunbelt and had one decent quarter against Mizzou, but even then, there were obvious bad signs. He did nothing against the BCS schools. Nothing. He was in the system for his 3rd year, and couldn't get it done against anyone. Lee was Watson's boy, and he should have been ready.

Taylor lit it up against some opponents and struggled against others, then he got injured. It's pretty much a given that he would struggle, like every freshman QB does. He set records, led the team to 2 top #15 wins, and showed promise. And he did it all in a shoehorned offense that was brand new to just about every, run by an OC who didn't understand it, or want him starting.

It all boils down to if you think Taylor has hit his ceiling as a freshman, and will never get better. I think he can improve.

Here we go again...... you saying their werent bad signs against srubs we faced before conference season with Taylor as the QB.

Lee did what he was asked during the 2009 season, nothing more nothing less.

I did not say that at all. Certainly Taylor had issues, even against the scrubs. But there's a gigantic difference between a redshirt frosh who hadn't even been QB for a year, and a 4th year Junior who was very successful in JUCO, had been in the system for more than 2 years, and plain out sucked against everyone with a pulse. Lee didn't "do what he was asked." The offense had to be dumbed down because he couldn't do anything.

You could say the samething for Taylor, WAIT it was because he was injured just like Zac Lee. The offense was dumbed down because 1. Lee was injured 2. We had ZERO offensive weapons 3. Our defense was OUTSTANDING and Lee was ask dont screw it up.

Zac Lee lit up a KU team at the time people thought were pretty decent, just like Taylor torched Okie Light. The common dominator is that both had really good offenses countered by terrible defenses.

You could insert Taylors name where Zac's is and you have the same result as 2009 vs. 2010. Zac lost his job in the fall, because Bo wanted the best chance to win regardless of experience, the same could be said for Taylor this year, if that ankle contiunes to be a problem.

I don't think the offense was dumbed down. More like scaled back because the precision that Lee flashed early in the season was just not there. Additionally, the quality of mental focus seen from the skill positions was a comedy of errors in the Iowa State game, which along with Texas Tech was what really started us on the track to keeping things basic.

And really, aside from some statements that the offense will be similar to what TM ran in high school, what have we heard to inspire confidence that TM really has a knowledge of the new schemes Beck is putting in place?

I dont think that it has to do with nobody having confidence. I think it is moreso that Bo would like an experienced kid that can give Carnes another year to work. Think about it fellas, we have a new offense this year so it isn't like he would be that much behind anyone. Only person he would really be behind in grasping the offense is Carnes. Definitely not T-Magic.

Um, what? Taylor has vastly superior knowledge of the offense. Carnes is still struggling, and that's straight from Bo.

Coaches speak. Tmart does not have "superior knowledge of the offense." Well, if he does he is sure fooling a lot of people.

- a guy with no knowledge of the offense

There has been a number of changes on offense. So just how far behind would he be?

I do in fact agree that he won't be coming here. If we got him and Bubba our baseball team would improve tenfold though!

I dont think that it has to do with nobody having confidence. I think it is moreso that Bo would like an experienced kid that can give Carnes another year to work. Think about it fellas, we have a new offense this year so it isn't like he would be that much behind anyone. Only person he would really be behind in grasping the offense is Carnes. Definitely not T-Magic.

Um, what? Taylor has vastly superior knowledge of the offense. Carnes is still struggling, and that's straight from Bo.

Coaches speak. Tmart does not have "superior knowledge of the offense." Well, if he does he is sure fooling a lot of people.

Ah, so Bo flat out lied when he said Carnes was "swimming in it?" And you know this..... how?

Ah, so Bo flat out lied when he said Carnes was "swimming in it?" And you know this..... how?

Well atleast he is not sinking in it.

I dont think Bo is lying about anything..... he tells the media/public what we need to know on a need to know basis, mostly to protect his players and his coaches.

You could look at the assistant coach replacment search he didnt say anything even though it was on paper that the offensive staff positions were open and that Els was already hired. Also you could look at the week of the CCG, he said taylor was 100% ready to go on Tuesday, on Wednesday Ron Brown was quoted as he was uncertain of Taylors health and ability to do what he does in the game.

I do know people who did attend spring practices. Carnes had a hell of a spring and Tmart did not have that good of one from what I was told. What the people I trust have told me is that Tmart struggles to remember a handful of plays at one time. I am not a Tmart hater, but that is what I was told. Does that mean that Carnes is going to start at QB for us? No.

Would it be the first time that Bo has "lied" as you put it to the press? Let me remind you that Zac Lee's elbow remains fine, and Tmart was 100% all year.

• Fire 1

:snacks:

This is great entertainment. DING DING DING There is the bell for round four, come out swinging. :sarcasm

My two cents, I want him because at NC State, he took the QB job from Harrison Beck, who without a doubt was the greatest QB ever!!!! Not to mention Harrison was a great growler/screamer on the metal stage. :sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm

i guess i dont recall singling you out? never once did i say "huskerscott", i replied to you in that post because you replied to my post not to try to single you out.

you are correct the issues that you have with martinez are shared with the minority of the board. however, those of you whom do feel that way base it off of issues that you have no direct knowledge of. it is just a bunch of conspiracy theories when it was obvious to everyone else that martinez played hurt but that is commonly pushed to the side as rubbish to some on this board and only this board.

i just hope that when he proves some of you wrong by the end of his career that you are here to eat some crow, because if i am wrong i will certainly be here to do the same.

So Martinez did exactly the same thing Lee did the year prior. He lit up the competition early on in the year, got hurt and had a crappy finish to the season. I didn't see Lee starting the following year. Not sure why everyone is so confident Martinez will be this year. A scout team WR unseated Lee - Martinez has some legitimate competition behind him. Not saying it will happen - but I personally can't see how as the 2010 season fades away, people's confidence in Martinez continues to grow and grow. This same thread would have had a very different tone to it in January. What's changed that makes everyone so much more confident today?

Not at all. Lee looked good against the sunbelt and had one decent quarter against Mizzou, but even then, there were obvious bad signs. He did nothing against the BCS schools. Nothing. He was in the system for his 3rd year, and couldn't get it done against anyone. Lee was Watson's boy, and he should have been ready.

Taylor lit it up against some opponents and struggled against others, then he got injured. It's pretty much a given that he would struggle, like every freshman QB does. He set records, led the team to 2 top #15 wins, and showed promise. And he did it all in a shoehorned offense that was brand new to just about every, run by an OC who didn't understand it, or want him starting.

It all boils down to if you think Taylor has hit his ceiling as a freshman, and will never get better. I think he can improve.

Here we go again...... you saying their werent bad signs against srubs we faced before conference season with Taylor as the QB.

I did not say that at all. Certainly Taylor had issues, even against the scrubs. But there's a gigantic difference between a redshirt frosh who hadn't even been QB for a year, and a 4th year Junior who was very successful in JUCO, had been in the system for more than 2 years, and plain out sucked against everyone with a pulse. Lee didn't "do what he was asked." The offense had to be dumbed down because he couldn't do anything.

You could say the samething for Taylor, WAIT it was because he was injured just like Zac Lee. The offense was dumbed down because 1. Lee was injured 2. We had ZERO offensive weapons 3. Our defense was OUTSTANDING and Lee was ask dont screw it up.

Zac Lee lit up a KU team at the time people thought were pretty decent, just like Taylor torched Okie Light. The common dominator is that both had really good offenses countered by terrible defenses.

You could insert Taylors name where Zac's is and you have the same result as 2009 vs. 2010. Zac lost his job in the fall, because Bo wanted the best chance to win regardless of experience, the same could be said for Taylor this year, if that ankle contiunes to be a problem.

Zac Lee vs Kansas (5-4) Total D: 76

Passing: 13-21 196yds 0 tds

Rushing: 9 53 yds

Taylor Martinez vs Oklahoma State (6-0) Total D: 88

Passing: 23-35 323yds 5tds

Rushing: 19 112yds

Not even remotely similar. Taylor also skulldrug KSU and was having a great day against Mizzou before getting hurt. Lee did nothing against any of the BCS teams.

• Fire 1

I do know people who did attend spring practices. Carnes had a hell of a spring and Tmart did not have that good of one from what I was told. What the people I trust have told me is that Tmart struggles to remember a handful of plays at one time. I am not a Tmart hater, but that is what I was told. Does that mean that Carnes is going to start at QB for us? No.

Would it be the first time that Bo has "lied" as you put it to the press? Let me remind you that Zac Lee's elbow remains fine, and Tmart was 100% all year.

It would be the first time that Bo has ever lied by putting down a player or his ability. Completely different from an injury. I have heard from "insiders" as well who went to practice. From their words, the SG was Carnes best showing by far. Supposedly, he had been floating passes and had been picked off quite a few times. Again, heresay.

Bo has been cloack and dagger before, but he doesn't flat out lie about his starter. Why would he say that Carnes is swimming and Martinez, at this point in time, is the starter? If Carnes is doing as well as you said, then what would he think about his coach calling him out in front of the media, something Bo hasn't done before.

I think it's not nearly as complicated as people are tying to make it. I'll trust the coaches.

Not even remotely similar. Taylor also skulldrug KSU and was having a great day against Mizzou before getting hurt. Lee did nothing against any of the BCS teams.

Zac Lee put those numbers when nobody expected us too. He accounted for 250 of the 400 that day, so yes that is a majority of the offense. Taylor did samething with a different offense that depends more on the Qb than anything else, with 435 yards of about 550.

Stop beating your head against the wall over nothing.

Zac Lee put those numbers when nobody expected us too. He accounted for 250 of the 400 that day, so yes that is a majority of the offense. Taylor did samething with a different offense that depends more on the Qb than anything else, with 435 yards of about 550.

Stop beating your head against the wall over nothing.

I'm not beating my head against the wall. Simply point out facts.

:snacks:

This is great entertainment. DING DING DING There is the bell for round four, come out swinging. :sarcasm

My two cents, I want him because at NC State, he took the QB job from Harrison Beck, who without a doubt was the greatest QB ever!!!! Not to mention Harrison was a great growler/screamer on the metal stage. :sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm

I think I am with you Paul. I don't think I'm going to get too deep into this.

http://huskersgameday.com/2011/04/12/tim-beck-praises-progress-of-jake-cotton-brion-carnes/

“He’s made a tremendous amount of improvement,” Beck said. “I’ve been real pleased with what he’s been doing. He still has a ways to go like we all do. He’s made tremendous gains at the quarterback position, no question about it. I’m real proud of him and where he is at right now.”

http://bigrednetwork.com/story/martinez_would_start_tomorrow._duh/

“It’s always an ongoing competition. If we were to start a game today, Taylor Martinez would be our quarterback. We’d feel real comfortable with that.”

True, Pelini did not make such affirmative statements about last year's incumbent starter, Zac Lee, at this same time a year ago. But, was he ever asked the question point blank? I don't think he was. Keep in mind, Martinez's emergence really happened during the summer and during the fall camp leading up to the 2010 season.

All of that being said, the competition is not over. Remember, Pelini's answer was if the Huskers had to play today. A lot can happen between now and when the Huskers open the season on September 3. But, the notion of Carnes fighting for the job is exactly what Pelini wants.

Clearly, Pelini's number one professional value is competition. No starting job is safe. The best player will play. Period. For evidence, look no further than Martinez passing Lee and Cody Green a year ago. So, Carnes is certainly not out of the mix.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_31c79b4f-ef3a-5c18-881c-9b47dcde146d.html

Carnes has been earning positive reviews from Bo Pelini and Tim Beck alike for his progress throughout this spring.

"Great athlete. Can run. Really good with his feet. A good passer for us," says the offensive coordinator Beck. "He can do what we need him to do."

But it's something else about him that impresses senior wide receiver Brandon Kinnie.

Some redshirt freshmen would let timidity get the best of them. Not Carnes.

"He's stepping up," Kinnie says. "I didn't know he was as shifty as he is. I've seen him growing up fast. I've seen him learning the playbook and going out there and competing. He's not scared to compete, and that's a big thing being an underclassmen, seeing Taylor and Cody out there. He's not backing down none."

Of course, it's a different game at this level. Beck says Carnes is still seeing things daily from Nebraska's defense that he's never seen before. He's still learning what to do when thrown a curve.

http://huskersgameday.com/2011/04/12/tim-beck-praises-progress-of-jake-cotton-brion-carnes/

“He’s made a tremendous amount of improvement,” Beck said. “I’ve been real pleased with what he’s been doing. He still has a ways to go like we all do. He’s made tremendous gains at the quarterback position, no question about it. I’m real proud of him and where he is at right now.”

http://bigrednetwork.com/story/martinez_would_start_tomorrow._duh/

“It’s always an ongoing competition. If we were to start a game today, Taylor Martinez would be our quarterback. We’d feel real comfortable with that.”

True, Pelini did not make such affirmative statements about last year's incumbent starter, Zac Lee, at this same time a year ago. But, was he ever asked the question point blank? I don't think he was. Keep in mind, Martinez's emergence really happened during the summer and during the fall camp leading up to the 2010 season.

All of that being said, the competition is not over. Remember, Pelini's answer was if the Huskers had to play today. A lot can happen between now and when the Huskers open the season on September 3. But, the notion of Carnes fighting for the job is exactly what Pelini wants.

Clearly, Pelini's number one professional value is competition. No starting job is safe. The best player will play. Period. For evidence, look no further than Martinez passing Lee and Cody Green a year ago. So, Carnes is certainly not out of the mix.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_31c79b4f-ef3a-5c18-881c-9b47dcde146d.html

Carnes has been earning positive reviews from Bo Pelini and Tim Beck alike for his progress throughout this spring.

"Great athlete. Can run. Really good with his feet. A good passer for us," says the offensive coordinator Beck. "He can do what we need him to do."

But it's something else about him that impresses senior wide receiver Brandon Kinnie.

Some redshirt freshmen would let timidity get the best of them. Not Carnes.

"He's stepping up," Kinnie says. "I didn't know he was as shifty as he is. I've seen him growing up fast. I've seen him learning the playbook and going out there and competing. He's not scared to compete, and that's a big thing being an underclassmen, seeing Taylor and Cody out there. He's not backing down none."

I'm going to throw out the "coachspeak" line. Afterall, it works both ways, right? There's plenty of fluff pieces of how great Taylor was doing also.

Look, this is going nowhere. I want the best player to start. If Carnes beats Taylor out, that's good for the team. If you don't want Taylor to start regardless of ability, that's your prerogative. But don't back up your reasoning with rumors or twisted "facts." I've seen way to much of this type of garbage by Husker fans.

• Fire 2