Russell Wilson pursued by Nebraska

http://huskersgameday.com/2011/04/12/tim-beck-praises-progress-of-jake-cotton-brion-carnes/

“He’s made a tremendous amount of improvement,” Beck said. “I’ve been real pleased with what he’s been doing. He still has a ways to go like we all do. He’s made tremendous gains at the quarterback position, no question about it. I’m real proud of him and where he is at right now.”

http://bigrednetwork.com/story/martinez_would_start_tomorrow._duh/

“It’s always an ongoing competition. If we were to start a game today, Taylor Martinez would be our quarterback. We’d feel real comfortable with that.”

True, Pelini did not make such affirmative statements about last year's incumbent starter, Zac Lee, at this same time a year ago. But, was he ever asked the question point blank? I don't think he was. Keep in mind, Martinez's emergence really happened during the summer and during the fall camp leading up to the 2010 season.

All of that being said, the competition is not over. Remember, Pelini's answer was if the Huskers had to play today. A lot can happen between now and when the Huskers open the season on September 3. But, the notion of Carnes fighting for the job is exactly what Pelini wants.

Clearly, Pelini's number one professional value is competition. No starting job is safe. The best player will play. Period. For evidence, look no further than Martinez passing Lee and Cody Green a year ago. So, Carnes is certainly not out of the mix.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_31c79b4f-ef3a-5c18-881c-9b47dcde146d.html

Carnes has been earning positive reviews from Bo Pelini and Tim Beck alike for his progress throughout this spring.

"Great athlete. Can run. Really good with his feet. A good passer for us," says the offensive coordinator Beck. "He can do what we need him to do."

But it's something else about him that impresses senior wide receiver Brandon Kinnie.

Some redshirt freshmen would let timidity get the best of them. Not Carnes.

"He's stepping up," Kinnie says. "I didn't know he was as shifty as he is. I've seen him growing up fast. I've seen him learning the playbook and going out there and competing. He's not scared to compete, and that's a big thing being an underclassmen, seeing Taylor and Cody out there. He's not backing down none."

I'm going to throw out the "coachspeak" line. Afterall, it works both ways, right? There's plenty of fluff pieces of how great Taylor was doing also.

Look, this is going nowhere. I want the best player to start. If Carnes beats Taylor out, that's good for the team. If you don't want Taylor to start regardless of ability, that's your prerogative. But don't back up your reasoning with rumors or twisted "facts." I've seen way to much of this type of garbage by Husker fans.

I not backing up my statements with twisted crap or rumors, plus your argument is no greater than mine. You might find it interseting that alot of what I have said about Martinez is taken from the quotes/links above. If this is garbage than why are you contributing to the debate here?????

I never said Taylor was a terrible athlete or anything like that, just I didnt think he was suited for the QB position. I never said Carnes was gonna take the job from Martinez THIS year, if Martinez stays healthy. The fact is you are so obessed with Taylor being the starting QB, the second somebody 2nd guesses you go off like 3 year old.

So we resort to personal attacks when we're backed into a corner now? I see how it is.

For your information, I've stated, multiple times, that I want the best guy to start, period. Look it up. What I do get mad at, is people discounting a candidate (Taylor) based on rumors and here-say, i.e. He's selfish, quit team multiple times, runs to daddy when things don't go his way, blah blah blah... Or twisting facts to discount what someone has accomplished. Then, you have people flat out calling the coaches liars when they say "TM would start tomorrow" or "Carnes is still swimming in it." And even more ridiculous, is the people calling Bo out because he hasn't named Carnes the starter, because they feel that TM isn't good enough. Those same people are trying to convince everyone that Taylor is Bo's favorite, that's why he's starting. Of course, they're forgetting everything that Bo has preached, and done, since the day he got here. And that is, open competition, and the best players play, period.

So, if what I just said is "me going off like a three year old" then so be it. I'm not the one with an agenda.

Taylor was really not having a great day with Missouri before he got hurt.

Story of his year basically. Opened up the game great, and had a very down second quarter, which in turn saw a very down, dead-drive-filled 2nd quarter for us.

He was 6-9 for 115 yds and a TD, and then got hurt in the very beginning of the 2nd quarter. I'd say those are pretty good stats for 1+ quarters of play.

• Fire 1

I'm going to throw out the "coachspeak" line. Afterall, it works both ways, right? There's plenty of fluff pieces of how great Taylor was doing also.

Look, this is going nowhere. I want the best player to start. If Carnes beats Taylor out, that's good for the team. If you don't want Taylor to start regardless of ability, that's your prerogative. But don't back up your reasoning with rumors or twisted "facts." I've seen way to much of this type of garbage by Husker fans.

I not backing up my statements with twisted crap or rumors, plus your argument is no greater than mine. You might find it interseting that alot of what I have said about Martinez is taken from the quotes/links above. If this is garbage than why are you contributing to the debate here?????

I never said Taylor was a terrible athlete or anything like that, just I didnt think he was suited for the QB position. I never said Carnes was gonna take the job from Martinez THIS year, if Martinez stays healthy. The fact is you are so obessed with Taylor being the starting QB, the second somebody 2nd guesses you go off like 3 year old.

So we resort to personal attacks when we're backed into a corner now? I see how it is.

For your information, I've stated, multiple times, that I want the best guy to start, period. Look it up. What I do get mad at, is people discounting a candidate (Taylor) based on rumors and here-say, i.e. He's selfish, quit team multiple times, runs to daddy when things don't go his way, blah blah blah... Or twisting facts to discount what someone has accomplished. Then, you have people flat out calling the coaches liars when they say "TM would start tomorrow" or "Carnes is still swimming in it." And even more ridiculous, is the people calling Bo out because he hasn't named Carnes the starter, because they feel that TM isn't good enough. Those same people are trying to convince everyone that Taylor is Bo's favorite, that's why he's starting. Of course, they're forgetting everything that Bo has preached, and done, since the day he got here. And that is, open competition, and the best players play, period. So, if what I just said is "me going off like a three year old" then so be it. I'm not the one with an agenda.

I dont see how Im back into a corner. I dont see how calling you a 3 year old is a personal attack, since how you throw a fit everytime this discussion comes up.

First off I have never had an agenda against Martinez or anyone. Second I have never said anything like that in the bolded statement, others have not me. The only defense people have for Martinez is that he was hurt, he was a freshman and he torched Okie Light. Which I reminded people how horrible Okie Light is on defense that is all.

I have simply have stated over and over that best player will play regardless of EXPERIENCE. Which is why its possible Martinez could lose his job to Carnes by the fall, especially if Martinez isnt healthy. You can point to fall camp last year with Martinez rising from basically 3rd on the depth chart to 1st in 3 weeks of fall camp. Do I have all these facts to back my statements up.... No but its my opinion. You saying you want the best player to play is crap, considering how bent out of shape you get over someone disagreeing with you.

For your information, I've stated, multiple times, that I want the best guy to start, period. Look it up. What I do get mad at, is people discounting a candidate (Taylor) based on rumors and here-say, i.e. He's selfish, quit team multiple times, runs to daddy when things don't go his way, blah blah blah... Or twisting facts to discount what someone has accomplished. Then, you have people flat out calling the coaches liars when they say "TM would start tomorrow" or "Carnes is still swimming in it." And even more ridiculous, is the people calling Bo out because he hasn't named Carnes the starter, because they feel that TM isn't good enough. Those same people are trying to convince everyone that Taylor is Bo's favorite, that's why he's starting. Of course, they're forgetting everything that Bo has preached, and done, since the day he got here. And that is, open competition, and the best players play, period. So, if what I just said is "me going off like a three year old" then so be it. I'm not the one with an agenda.

I dont see how Im back into a corner. I dont see how calling you a 3 year old is a personal attack, since how you throw a fit everytime this discussion comes up.

First off I have never had an agenda against Martinez or anyone. Second I have never said anything like that in the bolded statement, others have not me. The only defense people have for Martinez is that he was hurt, he was a freshman and he torched Okie Light. Which I reminded people how horrible Okie Light is on defense that is all.

I have simply have stated over and over that best player will play regardless of EXPERIENCE. Which is why its possible Martinez could lose his job to Carnes by the fall, especially if Martinez isnt healthy. You can point to fall camp last year with Martinez rising from basically 3rd on the depth chart to 1st in 3 weeks of fall camp. Do I have all these facts to back my statements up.... No but its my opinion. You saying you want the best player to play is crap, considering how bent out of shape you get over someone disagreeing with you.

Bull sh#t. Show me were I said anyone was crazy for wanting Carnes to start. You can't. Why? Because I've never said, nor thought it. What I have done, is disagreed with people using incorrect info, or twisting facts. And FYI, you did twist the facts. Comparing Lee's decent game against a terrible KU teams with Taylor's record setting game against OSU is flat out incorrect. KU was terrible, and in a free-fall. They'd lost 4 straight, and were pretty damn bad. But hey, "some people" (KU fans) thought they were good, so that obviously compares to a 6-0 undefeated OSU team that beat the snot out of us the previous 2 times we played them.

It's also laughable you accusing me of lying about me wanting the best player to play. It's plainly obvious that you don't feel that way, hence your twisted facts and attack posts when you are proven wrong. I'm not disagreeing with your opinion on who you feel the starter should be. I'm disagreeing with how you are reaching that conclusion. I have no problem with someone presenting an honest argument for either guy. But don't stretch the truth to make it stick. It's stupid.

But hey, I'm just a stupid TM fanboy, so what the hell do I know. :rant

Bull sh#t. Show me were I said anyone was crazy for wanting Carnes to start. You can't. Why? Because I've never said, nor thought it. What I have done, is disagreed with people using incorrect info, or twisting facts. And FYI, you did twist the facts. Comparing Lee's decent game against a terrible KU teams with Taylor's record setting game against OSU is flat out incorrect. KU was terrible, and in a free-fall. They'd lost 4 straight, and were pretty damn bad. But hey, "some people" (KU fans) thought they were good, so that obviously compares to a 6-0 undefeated OSU team that beat the snot out of us the previous 2 times we played them.

It's also laughable you accusing me of lying about me wanting the best player to play. It's plainly obvious that you don't feel that way, hence your twisted facts and attack posts when you are proven wrong. I'm not disagreeing with your opinion on who you feel the starter should be. I'm disagreeing with how you are reaching that conclusion. I have no problem with someone presenting an honest argument for either guy. But don't stretch the truth to make it stick. It's stupid.

Ku was picked by some to win the north that year, yes they were in a free fall. Considering the different styles of offense we were running.... yes its a fair to compare (KU/OkieLight). Not every game is about stats, its more about managing the game, limiting turnovers, command of the huddle, leadership, swagger. Body language tells alot about the players.

If you seriously want the best player to play. Then why do you consistently get in this argument over the debate. Whether its me or Hujan, EZ-E or anybody else for that matter. So what if you dont agree with our opinions, atleast have a little respect for them and not throw a b***h fit everytime the discussion comes up. Im not stretching my argument anymore than you are.

Ku was picked by some to win the north that year, yes they were in a free fall. Considering the different styles of offense we were running.... yes its a fair to compare (KU/OkieLight). Not every game is about stats, its more about managing the game, limiting turnovers, command of the huddle, leadership, swagger. Body language tells alot about the players.

If you seriously want the best player to play. Then why do you consistently get in this argument over the debate. Whether its me or Hujan, EZ-E or anybody else for that matter. So what if you dont agree with our opinions, atleast have a little respect for them and not throw a b***h fit everytime the discussion comes up. Im not stretching my argument anymore than you are.

KU was picked by the majority to win the division. But by the time they played us, it was apparent that they were not good. The things you are talking about are very important to a QB. But comparing how a player performs against a beaten and listless team, to a players performance against an undefeated team that ended up being pretty damn good is apples and oranges. You might as well compare Lee against the Sunbelt and Taylor against OU then.

Wanting the best player to play has nothing to do with this argument. Once again, you can have an opinion. It's your right. But when that opinion is based on shaky or incorrect info, expect to have people object to your opinion.

Don't like it, like knapplc said, Cam Newton's are once in a thousand chance players. Was he helped by the system in Auburn, sure, he fit their system well.

We take him, we risk our future with a QB who is going to develop into a better player than Russell Wilson could ever be. Taylor is only a redshirt sophomore, he was a redshirt freshman last year; a redshirt freshman with no experience in a system that probably didn't suit him well to begin with. Naturally, there is going to be some growing pains, especially if there are injuries. Give the kid some more time and you'll be rewarded with championships.

Martinez is our future, and we shouldn't chance it on a player on T-Mart's level in Russell Wilson.

DING DING DING! The bell has sounded and that is the end of the 10th round. Judges will now decide who wins in this war of worlds between saunders45 and huskerscott.

And the result: The bout ends in a draw!

Guys, you're fighting over opinions, but it's very clear that you both want the best player to start. Wether it's Carnes or Martinez, I think you would both have a little more confidence in Bo's choice. I mean, after all, he is the head coach who pratically drug Nebraska right out of the massive hole that C********* left us in.

Taylor and Carnes are both a work in progress and at the end of the day, the best player will play. That's how Bo wants it, that's what he's been preaching since day one, and that's what has brought us back to attention.

So enough with this senseless arguement. Neither one of you is coaching the team.

He's drug us out of that hole, but he hasn't done it w/ an offense. (which probably makes what he's done all the more impressive) But Bo, thus far, has showed me little to nothing to inspire confidence in his offensive choices. That's why people say Bo has "potential" to be a great coach...because up to this point he's been a great defensive coordinator. I don't see why it's hard for people to believe that some of us might not have a ton of confidence in Bo's choice at QB. He hasn't really proven anything to warrant that confidence.

Taylor was Bo's choice last year, and while he had some great games, he's had plenty of others that were as bad as his great ones were great. Blame it on the injury, but he was 6-14 with 2 interceptions and a fumble lost against South Dakota State. He wasn't injured then. Taylor, like Bo, has the "potential" to be great. But there's tons of players every year that fail to live up to their potential.

I personally am fairly down the middle with Taylor - I'll give him a chance. I just don't see how someone can state with such conviction "give the kid some time and you'll be rewarded with championships". If all it takes to be an elite QB is beating down WK, Idaho, Washington, KState, Okie State...then we'd have a lot of elite QBs in CF. If those great games had come in the second half of the season during conference play when you can better guage a player I would certainly be more behind him. If he had been injured the first half, and healthy the second half I'd put more weight to some of those huge games he had because they would have been against better quality opponents. Unfortunately they weren't, so I'll remain a skeptic. Consistency though conference play in 2011, and I'll hop on the wagon mid-November. Until it's there - I'm not predicting any championships (outside of maybe Legends)

(and since when did we have to be coaching the team to argue on Huskerboard? that's going to limit the field a little bit. guess we all better drink the koolaid before a post since we don't coach the Huskers)

The comparison between Zac Lee and Taylor really isn't appropriate. Zac tore his flexor tendon against Arkansas St. and has less effective from there on out. We didn't get a chance to see him play healthy against BCS competition. Taylor wasn't just ineffective aftern his injury. He was absolutely shut down against Texas and SDSU, well before his injury.

The comparison between Zac Lee and Taylor really isn't appropriate. Zac tore his flexor tendon against Arkansas St. and has less effective from there on out. We didn't get a chance to see him play healthy against BCS competition. Taylor wasn't just ineffective aftern his injury. He was absolutely shut down against Texas and SDSU, well before his injury.

:facepalm: at myself for answering this, but....

Lee was also a Junior, in his third year in the program. Marty was a redshirt Freshman who had switched positions mere months before those games.

To add something relevant to the OP, it seems as if Wilson's baseball team hasn't heard anything from him about playing football. Which is interesting, considering their season goes into early Sept. Maybe these "95 percent" rumors are just that...

LANK

Taylor was really not having a great day with Missouri before he got hurt.

Story of his year basically. Opened up the game great, and had a very down second quarter, which in turn saw a very down, dead-drive-filled 2nd quarter for us.

He was 6-9 for 115 yds and a TD, and then got hurt in the very beginning of the 2nd quarter. I'd say those are pretty good stats for 1+ quarters of play.

Very selective about the stats, aren't we? Like I said, he was hot and cold. In quarter 2, he was completely cold. Additionally, he got hurt at the very end of the 2nd quarter.

His rushing numbers on the day: 12 carries, 16 yards. Additionally, 3 sacks for -14 yards. Here's what he did in quarter 2:

2nd and 4 at NEB 38: Taylor Martinez pass incomplete to Kyler Reed.

3rd and 4 at NEB 38: Taylor Martinez sacked by Michael Sam for a loss of 9 yards to the Neb 29.

1st and 10 at NEB 44: Taylor Martinez rush for a 7-yard loss

2nd and 17 at NEB 37: Taylor Martinez incomplete pass to Curenski Gilleylen

3and and 17 at NEB 37: Taylor Martinez sacked by Zaviar Gooden for a 2-yard loss

1st and 18 at NEB 8: Taylor Martinez rush for a 2-yard loss

2nd and 20 at NEB 6: Taylor Martinez rush for 5 yards

3rd and 15 at NEB 11: Taylor Martinez pass in the flat to Roy Helu for 14 yards. Roy gained about all 14 of these after the catch and I remember being shocked he even came close to getting the 1st down.

2nd and 8 at NEB 37: Taylor Martinez rush for 13 yards to the 50 yard line

1st and 10 at NEB 50: Taylor Martinez rush for 5 yards to the Missouri 45

And that was his injury, I believe. The last drive started with 4 minutes to go and ended with 2 minutes to go. Yeah, I'm aware that Taylor had a great first quarter where he found his guys and delivered the ball to them with three deep completions (Paul - 21, Cotton - 22, Reed - 40 & TD). But you must have watched the game and saw how our offense ground to a halt in quarter 2 even as we tried to press on the gas.