Older posts on the forum

Ha! I think as fans, there is a tendency to try to put a positive spin on anything. The recruits or the coaches who didn't come here...no big deal. It can be very agonizing to play out what if's, or should-have-beens. Of course this all looks ridiculous in hindsight.

Of course I know you are being sarcastic, however it got me to thinking about how successful he would have been here. My guess is not as much as one would hope. Look at what he inherited at Florida, and hell, just by being able to recruit IN Florida. I would consider him to have been mildly successful at Utah, but nothing stood out *to me* when he was there. I think we'd have been OK, but not great, under Urban Meyer. Glad we dodged getting Rich Rod, though. Whoa Nelly.

Pretty much all those guys would have been better then Callahan :facepalm:

Rodriguez probably would have turned out exactly like Callahan, in fact it seems like he pretty much did at Michigan. An offense that could work but a lack of defense to win games, and an alienation of the boosters and alums, they pretty much pissed people off in the same way. Both good coaches but ended up in the wrong places.

Rodriguez probably would have turned out exactly like Callahan, in fact it seems like he pretty much did at Michigan. An offense that could work but a lack of defense to win games, and an alienation of the boosters and alums, they pretty much pissed people off in the same way. Both good coaches but ended up in the wrong places.

Yeah, there are a lot of parallels between the two.

• high octane offense that sputters against good defenses
  • terrible defenses
  • alienated the traditionalist fan faction
  • hounded by media
  • run out of town on a rail

Callahan for Nebraska = Rodriguez for Michigan

• terrible defenses
  • hounded by media

100% correct.

I would just add boatloads of garbage pts/yds for the stats when playing the opponent's water-boys during massive blowout losses.

• terrible defenses
  • hounded by media

100% correct.

I would just add boatloads of garbage pts/yds for the stats when playing the opponent's water-boys during massive blowout losses.

80% correct. Rodriguez was actually worse for Michigan than Callahan was for us. As bad as Cally was and as many huge records he destroyed, at least the guy didn't get us put in the NCAA doghouse.