Official NBA Finals Thread

Nebraska has been a couple of points away from adding more trophies to the case. The Mavericks haven't. Dallas has only been in the finals twice. Nebraska been playing for it all a lot more times. Big Difference.

Are you seriously comparing football to basketball? I was talking about teams that finally got over the hump and won a championship. NBA basketball is totally diff than college football and what each team has to go through to win a championship.

I'm not the one who started the comparison. You could have atleast compared it to Kansas basketball that consistently underperforms almost every year in the tourney.

Nebraska has been a couple of points away from adding more trophies to the case. The Mavericks haven't. Dallas has only been in the finals twice. Nebraska been playing for it all a lot more times. Big Difference.

Are you seriously comparing football to basketball? I was talking about teams that finally got over the hump and won a championship. NBA basketball is totally diff than college football and what each team has to go through to win a championship.

I'm not the one who started the comparison. You could have atleast compared it to Kansas basketball that consistently underperforms almost every year in the tourney.

I said Nebraska was a team that could not win the big one with Osborne as their coach and look what happened when they finally won, they won again and again. Just saying that now that Dallas has won the big one and exercised their first rd. loss demons, they are capable of winning another one. They have had very good teams this whole decade, they just couldn't put it together during the playoffs. Now that they have, they realize they can do it again. Here, Ill give another example, an example of a sport that you have to go through playoff series to get to the title, the Boston Red Sox. How many championships did they win from 1918-2003? How many championships have they won from 2004-present? The answer is two. Once they finally won, they realized they could win it again and they did. And the way they are playing now, they have a great shot of winning the title this year also.

I said Nebraska was a team that could not win the big one with Osborne as their coach and look what happened when they finally won, they won again and again. Just saying that now that Dallas has won the big one and exercised their first rd. loss demons, they are capable of winning another one. They have had very good teams this whole decade, they just couldn't put it together during the playoffs. Now that they have, they realize they can do it again. Here, Ill give another example, an example of a sport that you have to go through playoff series to get to the title, the Boston Red Sox. How many championships did they win from 1918-2003? How many championships have they won from 2004-present? The answer is two. Once they finally won, they realized they could win it again and they did. And the way they are playing now, they have a great shot of winning the title this year also.

I don't think the Mavs can repeat because they have too many free agents plus the cba is expiring and could mean a hard cap. Dallas is already $20 million over. Also if too many people leave and they can't get good replacements i think Dirk might think twice. Once you tasted a championship it's harder to sit by to being the best to being a front runner. He only has 3-4 more years left in his prime. I think too many valuable people will be gone and won't settle for less money unless they are sure they can bring them back. It could happen but the chances aren't in the favor they do.

I don't think the Mavs can repeat because they have too many free agents plus the cba is expiring and could mean a hard cap. Dallas is already $20 million over. Also if too many people leave and they can't get good replacements i think Dirk might think twice. Once you tasted a championship it's harder to sit by to being the best to being a front runner. He only has 3-4 more years left in his prime. I think too many valuable people will be gone and won't settle for less money unless they are sure they can bring them back. It could happen but the chances aren't in the favor they do.

I never said they need to repeat next year. Just saying they can win another one sometime. They will get good players no matter who leaves. Kidd will have to retire eventually. Same with Marion. Get some good young talent to come in and build around Dirk and anything is possible. Im not expecting them to repeat next year. No Mavs fan should expect them to repeat, its too hard in basketball. Unless you have Jordan or Bryant on your team. And Dirk will finish his career in Dallas, mark my words. It wasn't even an option for him to leave last summer when he was a free agent. He signed the next day after free agency started.

Gosh you two. Look, it's simple. husker_99, you said the Mavericks are one and done. Po Belini disagrees with you and says they have the ability to maintain a championship level success in the future. Neither of you can know definitely, you're just guessing. Is it really that hard? :P

I never said they need to repeat next year. Just saying they can win another one sometime. They will get good players no matter who leaves. Kidd will have to retire eventually. Same with Marion. Get some good young talent to come in and build around Dirk and anything is possible. Im not expecting them to repeat next year. No Mavs fan should expect them to repeat, its too hard in basketball. Unless you have Jordan or Bryant on your team. And Dirk will finish his career in Dallas, mark my words. It wasn't even an option for him to leave last summer when he was a free agent. He signed the next day after free agency started.

I'm not saying he will leave just that it will cross his mind. Last year he hadn't won anything. When you win a championship everything changes. When your 32 and just won might not stick with a team and piss it away if you don't have to. the only reason why Dallas won't repeat is that they aren't a team that is focued on winning every year. Take the Lakers they always make moves to stay in contention. That's why they make the playoffs and win championships frequently. Dallas doesn't really do that.

I'm not saying he will leave just that it will cross his mind. Last year he hadn't won anything. When you win a championship everything changes. When your 32 and just won might not stick with a team and piss it away if you don't have to. the only reason why Dallas won't repeat is that they aren't a team that is focued on winning every year. Take the Lakers they always make moves to stay in contention. That's why they make the playoffs and win championships frequently. Dallas doesn't really do that.

Im pretty sure even the Kings were playing to win a championship this year. If the Lakers didn't have Kobe Bryant, they wouldn't win anything. Same with Dallas and Dirk. Lakers made trades to get players around Bryant. Dallas made trades to get players around Dirk and it didn't start just this year. But, Dallas did make a huge trade this year to pick up Chandler. They made a huge trade a few years ago to get Kidd. They signed Marion a few years ago, a proven veteran. They kept Terry and didn't trade him for anyone. They signed Peja who really helped them during the playoffs except for the finals. They fired their coach for not being able to get it done and hired a proven coach who has coached in the NBA finals before. They signed Dirk Nowitzki when he was a free agent last summer. They could have started all over again with another star. I don't know how you can say they aren't focused on winning championships every year.

Im pretty sure even the Kings were playing to win a championship this year. If the Lakers didn't have Kobe Bryant, they wouldn't win anything. Same with Dallas and Dirk. Lakers made trades to get players around Bryant. Dallas made trades to get players around Dirk and it didn't start just this year. But, Dallas did make a huge trade this year to pick up Chandler. They made a huge trade a few years ago to get Kidd. They signed Marion a few years ago, a proven veteran. They kept Terry and didn't trade him for anyone. They signed Peja who really helped them during the playoffs except for the finals. They fired their coach for not being able to get it done and hired a proven coach who has coached in the NBA finals before. They signed Dirk Nowitzki when he was a free agent last summer. They could have started all over again with another star. I don't know how you can say they aren't focused on winning championships every year.

Uh huh sure just like they really want to stay in Sacramento right? lol. Also Carlisle never coached in the Finals before. The closest he got was the Eastern Conference Finals. He was not proven.

Uh huh sure just like they really want to stay in Sacramento right? lol. Also Carlisle never coached in the Finals before. The closest he got was the Eastern Conference Finals. He was not proven.

You say that like the ECF is easy to get to. He was 2002 Coach of the Year. I think that can be considered a proven coach. More proven than Eric Spoelstra. And yes, the Sacramento PLAYERS were playing to win a championship. Doesn't matter what their front office was doing. Players are the ones who play the game, not owners or GMs.