Maurice Clarett's old comments about Tressell

Your saying Clarett didn't get a car for playing?

I'm saying, if you're going to believe one article from the horse's mouth, you need to believe the next article from same said mouth. You can't pick and choose what you want.

I believed it was possible back then and hoped it wasn't. It was found to be false according to the NCAA investigation and internal investigation. Once the NCAA cleared it, I believed it was false. Now Clarrett himself said it was false.

Where did he say this?

http://sports.ap.org/college-football/story?id=pdda4c159f21e4fa98def39b35acaa79e

"There's no secret regime, there's no secret congregation of people who sit around at Ohio State who gives young guys money," Clarett said Wednesday on The Dan Patrick Show. "Anything that any player goes and gets is all based on him and who he meets in the community. The coaches and the university have no control over what the young guy's doing."

"There wasn't any coach or any booster or any member in or around Ohio State who helps you get a car," Clarett said, recalling his own time on campus. "It doesn't go on. It's just guys doing what they want to. People will forever do what they want to. It's nothing more than young guys making mistakes."

Clarrett isn't saying such things are not available, he's saying there isn't an organized effort on the part of coaches or the administration to provide such things. But for OSU to be culpable, there doesn't have to be that direct effort, there just has to be a willingness to ignore it. Clarrett's statement doesn't exonerate Coach Tressel or the football program.

Reminds me of all the crap flying around the 95 season. TO's book gave him the chance to explain things from his side. I'd be interested in seeing Tressel's side of the story and a chance to rebut some of this stuff. Anymore I just don't trust the media and judgements made by any large governing group like the NCAA.

Your saying Clarett didn't get a car for playing?

I'm saying, if you're going to believe one article from the horse's mouth, you need to believe the next article from same said mouth. You can't pick and choose what you want.

I believed it was possible back then and hoped it wasn't. It was found to be false according to the NCAA investigation and internal investigation. Once the NCAA cleared it, I believed it was false. Now Clarrett himself said it was false.

Where did he say this?

http://sports.ap.org/college-football/story?id=pdda4c159f21e4fa98def39b35acaa79e

"There's no secret regime, there's no secret congregation of people who sit around at Ohio State who gives young guys money," Clarett said Wednesday on The Dan Patrick Show. "Anything that any player goes and gets is all based on him and who he meets in the community. The coaches and the university have no control over what the young guy's doing."

"There wasn't any coach or any booster or any member in or around Ohio State who helps you get a car," Clarett said, recalling his own time on campus. "It doesn't go on. It's just guys doing what they want to. People will forever do what they want to. It's nothing more than young guys making mistakes."

Clarrett isn't saying such things are not available, he's saying there isn't an organized effort on the part of coaches or the administration to provide such things. But for OSU to be culpable, there doesn't have to be that direct effort, there just has to be a willingness to ignore it. Clarrett's statement doesn't exonerate Coach Tressel or the football program.

I'd say that's true Knapple, it doesn't exonerate anyone, but it does say something and what I think it says is, when we are 18 to 20 year old kids with inflated egos and boosters want to give us things it becomes extremely hard on the staff to oversee it. The kid has grown up and taken responsibility for his own actions and and underlying message he is trying to portray is "hey kids don't F it up like I did" do what coach says, dont take the money and just play ball he found it out the hard way, but luckily, with Tressel's help he has turned his life around. Supposedly after Tressel turns his back on his non-star players as some of the idiot sportswriters would have us believe.

Certainly no exoneration, but a better message I think.