Former Huskers coach high on Paul

Can we say the loss to 10' Texas because of Paul? I know I am when I watched from row two in the end zone and he was right infront of me, wide open and didn't catch the damned ball (and there was no wind at all).

Don't forget Rex Burkhead who dropped a wide open TD pass

As poor a job as he did, I think Gilmore has a clue what he is talking about.

That said, pretty poor PR from him awareness, or I guess, he's not employed here anymore, so he doesn't give two s---'s if he throws a current Husker player under the bus. Not going to endear him to fans at all, and he's already not a favorite.

But bus-tossing aside, I think he's right about Paul's talent - and that he wasn't necessarily used as much as he could have been. I think the praise about Paul in other areas was coachspeak, an attempt to defuse the negativity and the perception that he's a bit of a headcase. That could go either way; it is hard to tell. But as I'm sure many of you would agree, why in the world would we not hope the best to be true for any of our players? Are we going to believe the unsupported rumors of him being more into the party scene than football, or his position coach's accounts of how seriously he took the game and took responsibility for his mistakes on and off the field?

It is time to take this official report and shelve all the ridiculous anti-Niles sentiment.

But bus-tossing aside, I think he's right about Paul's talent - and that he wasn't necessarily used as much as he could have been. I think the praise about Paul in other areas was coachspeak, an attempt to defuse the negativity and the perception that he's a bit of a headcase. That could go either way; it is hard to tell. But as I'm sure many of you would agree, why in the world would we not hope the best to be true for any of our players? Are we going to believe the unsupported rumors of him being more into the party scene than football, or his position coach's accounts of how seriously he took the game and took responsibility for his mistakes on and off the field?

It is time to take this official report and shelve all the ridiculous anti-Niles sentiment.

I do wish the best for him, but I think we gave him every chance here, more than he earned with all of the drops and fumbles he had. He could turn out to be all-pro, and I still wouldn't regret that we didn't give him a bigger role here. I didn't blast him (much) while he was playing here, but I'm not going to quietly agree with the assessment that he was an under-utilized talent.