Top ten games in memorial stadium history

Top ten games in memorial stadium history   

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2008 Henery with a signature moment in the regular-season finale against Colorado, hitting a school-record 57-yard field goal to provide the decisive points in the final minutes of a 40-31 victory.

We were in the endzone where the ball seemed to come right to us. I jumped so high out of my seat that I ended up crowd surfing a couple rows down.

I'm surprised knapplc hasn't said the 1922 game against Notre Dame and the Four Horsemen

That was before we played in Memorial Stadium :P

:star

You get a gold star and a +1.

The home of the Huskers since 1923 and the location of a continuing NCAA-record consecutive sellout streak that reached 311 games in 2010, Memorial Stadium provides one of the most exciting game-day experiences in all of college football.

In the fall of 1922, a drive for $430,000 in stadium construction funds was undertaken by faculty, students, alumni and friends of the University of Nebraska. The quota was over subscribed. The stadium was named Memorial Stadium to honor all Nebraskans who served in the Civil and Spanish-American Wars; the 751 Nebraskans who died in World War I; the 3,839 in World War II; the 225 in Korea; and the 422 in Vietnam. Construction was completed in a few more than 90 working days and Memorial Stadium was dedicated on Oct. 20, 1923, at the Homecoming game in which Nebraska was held to a scoreless tie by Kansas.

I'm surprised knapplc hasn't said the 1922 game against Notre Dame and the Four Horsemen

That was before we played in Memorial Stadium :P

:star

You get a gold star and a +1.

The home of the Huskers since 1923 and the location of a continuing NCAA-record consecutive sellout streak that reached 311 games in 2010, Memorial Stadium provides one of the most exciting game-day experiences in all of college football.

In the fall of 1922, a drive for $430,000 in stadium construction funds was undertaken by faculty, students, alumni and friends of the University of Nebraska. The quota was over subscribed. The stadium was named Memorial Stadium to honor all Nebraskans who served in the Civil and Spanish-American Wars; the 751 Nebraskans who died in World War I; the 3,839 in World War II; the 225 in Korea; and the 422 in Vietnam. Construction was completed in a few more than 90 working days and Memorial Stadium was dedicated on Oct. 20, 1923, at the Homecoming game in which Nebraska was held to a scoreless tie by Kansas.

Then the play from that game shouldn't count too, right?

Few extra games I'd throw in.

1983 vs Penn St. A 44-6 ass whooping that allieved some of the pain of the screw job the year prior that probably cost TO his first National Title.

Memorable game no doubt, but it didn't happen at Memorial Stadium. That was a neutral site game (Kickoff Classic) held at the old Giants stadium in East Rutherford.

1983 vs Penn St. A 44-6 ass whooping that allieved some of the pain of the screw job the year prior that probably cost TO his first National Title.

Memorable game no doubt, but it didn't happen at Memorial Stadium. That was a neutral site game (Kickoff Classic) held at the old Giants stadium in East Rutherford.

Drat, ya got me there. Was fast skimming the year by year results, and didn't think about that much. I am allowed one screw up per four bourbons Nexus, even my wife knows that rule :dumdum .

Drat, ya got me there. Was fast skimming the year by year results, and didn't think about that much. I am allowed one screw up per four bourbons Nexus, even my wife knows that rule :dumdum .

:LOLtartar

Three games vs CU

1992, Halloween. Kordell Stewart and Rashad Salaam. Kicked their butts! Will Shields ran the fumblerooski and the place was ROCKIN' 52-7

1994, CU came in #2 and the Huskers had dropped to #3. Somebody mentioned Brook Berringer earlier. Awesome game. The Blackshirts brought it 24-7. On the way to TO's first Nat'l Championship. 200th sellout. I still have the sign they handed out, outside the stadium.

One of these games it was sleeting and snowing, but I can't remember which one. The more it snowed and sleeted, the louder the crowd got. That was awesome.

2008, my son and I were in the South end zone and watched THE KICK as it sailed for the opposite end zone. WE knew it was good. That was AWESOME! Especially after CU had run back a fake field goal for a TD earlier.

I was at the OU game in 1978. That game was incredible.

The OU game in 1986 was a great game. The red pants, the keys jangling, "not in our house" Broderick Thomas, Sooner magic in the last 2 minutes, lost 20-17. We booed when Switzer went for the tie, little realizing we would lose the game minutes later.

Sept 19, 1964 vs South Dakota, it was the first game I remember going to. I still have the ticket. 56-0, Huskers. Went to the game with my grandfather. I went to some games before that, but I was too young to remember.

One thing I remember from the 60's was Band Day. High school bands from around the state sat in the North bleachers before the North End zone seating was constructed. The colors of all those bands on the field and in the bleachers was something I remember to this day. I found a "fly over" photo, with P51 Mustangs over Memorial Stadium and there are the high school bands in the North end zone.

Now wait. I know what the original post says but is this a list honoring the stadium itself or Husker home games in general? Personally I would love to see Nebraska Field games at least be up for argument. They may not make the list since none of us remember them but it doesn't seem right not at least trying to honor great games played by our Huskers pre-1923.

2006 Nebraska vs. Texas

I was at that game, the satdium actually shook it was so loud. Then on top of that it started to snow late in the second half. We lost, but it was an electric atmosphere.

Gonna mention that game....if we have to put a game on the list when we lost that would be it...unbelievable

Now wait. I know what the original post says but is this a list honoring the stadium itself or Husker home games in general? Personally I would love to see Nebraska Field games at least be up for argument. They may not make the list since none of us remember them but it doesn't seem right not at least trying to honor great games played by our Huskers pre-1923.

Hey i figured knapp would say the 1922 Notre Dame like he did in the top ten plays at MEMORIAL STADIUM. But of course, he mentions that game and it's ok, but I say it, and I get my head ripped off because Memorial Stadium wasn't built yet.

here is the list, I know some great ones are missing, but that was inevitable because there can only be ten on the list, also we tried to avoid being redundant with the top ten plays list, so if it was a play that made the game great (suh pick, henry kick) it was left off the great games list. here is the list in no particular order please take the poll pick up to nine games and based on that i can determine the order

1959 Oklahoma

1978 Oklahoma

2001 Oklahoma

1982 Oklahoma

2009 Oklahoma

1987 UCLA

1994 Colorado

1977 Alabama

2001 Notre Dame

1988 Oklahoma State