Scariest Place

Accidentally drove through the EPA (East Palo Alto) one night. We had just moved to the area and had no idea that right across the 101 from one of the most affluent cities on the peninsula (Menlo Park) was EPA, which in the 90s had one of the highest murder rates in the nation. One minute we're driving through tree-filled lanes with beautiful, multi-million dollar homes, the next we're in the hood, and everyone was watching our car. It took about five minutes to work around the block, get back on the main street and get out of there.

On the Baltimore waterfront after an Orioles game. Took my kid to the aquarium during the day, and made the mistake of parking in a garage near there rather closer to the ballpark. Walked to Camden Yards for the game. It wasn't too bad walking back after the game, but I realized we were too far from the stadium to be in the safety of the post-game crowds. Went to the garage and there was a group of kids, maybe 6-8 of them 15-20 years old, hanging out by the front that we had to walk by, and my car was by itself at the end. I felt sure we were going to get mugged. It wouldn't have been bad but for having my 10 year old there. We just walked quickly and didn't look back and I was amazed nothing happened. I guess they were just kids hanging out. When I look back, I still hate that I put us in that situation.

Englewood in Chicago...not a good place to get off the L and try to find a place to piss when you're drunk. Thought for sure I was going to be mugged.

Had a pretty similar incident to VA Husker Fan too when I was little and my dad took me to a Cardinals game in St. Louis. Fast walking, prayers that the fickle Audi would start and get out of there without a carjacking.