Ranking the Big Ten running backs

5. Rex Burkhead, Nebraska, junior: Expect big things from Burkhead in Nebraska's first season as a Big Ten member. He turned in a solid performance as a sophomore, recording 951 rush yards and seven touchdowns while averaging 5.5 yards a carry. Although Burkhead can be used in a variety of ways in the offense, he's a good bet to become Nebraska's featured running back after a strong spring. He seemed to grasp the new offense well and will challenge Big Ten defenses with his speed. While Burkhead will be pushed by heralded incoming recruit Aaron Green and others, he seems ready for a breakout season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/28080/ranking-the-big-ten-running-backs-2

Sounds about right to me, although i may put him at #4 over Ohio St. Dan Herron.

4. Nebraska: The Cornhuskers led the Big 12 in rushing last season with 247.6 yards per game on the ground, good for ninth in the FBS. Leading rusher Roy Helu Jr. is gone, but junior Rex Burkhead returns after a 951-yard campaign. He will occasionally line up at receiver or take snaps in the Wildcat. The Cornhuskers lack experience behind him but are expecting big contributions from incoming freshmen Aaron Green and Amer Abdullah. ESPN Recruiting ranked Green as the No. 11 player overall in the Class of 2011.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/28063/big-ten-position-rankings-running-back

post-6716-013154700 1308255207.jpg

he's a strong, reliable blue collar kid, but doesn't have the explosiveness like a big time back.

That was true of the 2009 and 2010 editions, but something tells me the 2011 version of Rex Burkhead will bring some added explosiveness to his bruising ways.

Part of the reason Rex doesn't have a lot of long carries is because he is such a committed north-south runner. He doesn't dance around behind the LOS. He sees the hole and hits it. The downside is that he doesn't take a lot of runs to the edge that he can break for 40 yard gains. The upside is that he rarely gives up a TFL. Give him a fullback to run behind and he might start popping some runs for 20-yard gains.

The offensive line is going to blow open some huge gaps this year! ( If I say it with enough confidence it will make it reality, right?). I'm really hoping the offensive line comes together very strong this year and I have every reason to believe it will. With that in mind, I don't think you'll find a more instinctive back in the B1G, possibly in the country than Rex. I'm a huge Burkhead fan, but I really think his vision and effort after contact is one of those things that just can't be taught. This guy has got it, and if the offense gives him the chance, I expect Rex to come out of this season as a Top 3 back in the country.

The offensive line is going to blow open some huge gaps this year! ( If I say it with enough confidence it will make it reality, right?). I'm really hoping the offensive line comes together very strong this year and I have every reason to believe it will. With that in mind, I don't think you'll find a more instinctive back in the B1G, possibly in the country than Rex. I'm a huge Burkhead fan, but I really think his vision and effort after contact is one of those things that just can't be taught. This guy has got it, and if the offense gives him the chance, I expect Rex to come out of this season as a Top 3 back in the country.

They can't be much worse. I read somewhere they were 113th in the nation in sacks allowed or TFL. That means they aren't blocking long enough or reaching the second level of the defense very often. I'm surprised our RBs had the large yard per carry stats they did and it's no wonder our qbs struggled to find consistency. If it weren't for Tmarts quick first step the first part of the season it would have been a very long year.

Rex may just be our offensive MVP this year. While there may be better running backs in the conference, I doubt any are more integral to their team's success, or more useful, than Rex.

You're right. Wasn't he our offensive MVP last year, too?

Well, if you get into the "What is the MVP?" debate, I'd go with Martinez, given that our offense completely fell apart when he wasn't 100%. However, you could make the argument that once that happened, Burkhead was the only player capable of holding it together.

Anyways, while Burkhead isn't as flashy as the Wisconsin backs and some others throughout the conference, he's going to surprise a lot of people. He is SO fundamentally sound, and he's faster than people give him credit for... He looked absolutely fantastic in the spring game, and I don't think that our coaches would trade him for anyone else in the conference. I wouldn't trade him for anyone else either.

maybe its just me, but i wonder how much of an effect the new offense will have on his production, i should say rushing yards really, idk if he will get as many carries as helu had last year, but it wouldnt surprise me to see him catch the ball out of the backfield alot, he has sure hands and is a threat anywhere on the field, but idk if he will have a ton of yardage on the ground because of this new offense, i hope the coaches give it to him alot and let him wear down the defenses, i think he is that kinda back but idk if he will get the chance to do that all that much

5. Rex Burkhead, Nebraska, junior: Expect big things from Burkhead in Nebraska's first season as a Big Ten member. He turned in a solid performance as a sophomore, recording 951 rush yards and seven touchdowns while averaging 5.5 yards a carry. Although Burkhead can be used in a variety of ways in the offense, he's a good bet to become Nebraska's featured running back after a strong spring. He seemed to grasp the new offense well and will challenge Big Ten defenses with his speed. While Burkhead will be pushed by heralded incoming recruit Aaron Green and others, he seems ready for a breakout season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/28080/ranking-the-big-ten-running-backs-2

Sounds about right to me, although i may put him at #4 over Ohio St. Dan Herron.

I believe the idea was running back corps. total not just starting back. He said (I think) that tOSU would have been higher than #4 had Herron not been suspended for the first five games, one thing tOSU is never short of is tailbacks and they have a stable this year even w/out Herron. I may be thinking of a different poll but it was also today so it leads me to believe it was the same one.

Anyways, while Burkhead isn't as flashy as the Wisconsin backs and some others throughout the conference, he's going to surprise a lot of people. He is SO fundamentally sound, and he's faster than people give him credit for... He looked absolutely fantastic in the spring game, and I don't think that our coaches would trade him for anyone else in the conference. I wouldn't trade him for anyone else either.

QFT.