Stopping the run key to Huskers' title run

GSG

I know they don't compare to Ohio st. or any of those others. Honestly I don't think any Iowa fan on here is saying Iowa deserves to be among the all time greats, not me at least. I do like to see where Iowa sits compared to the elite teams, while under Kirk Ferentz. I do see Iowa in the top third of the big ten, which to most people is pretty good.

Ohio st

Nebraska

Penn st

Mich

Iowa

Wisc

Are the top teams in the Big Ten, besides Ohio st.'s dominance the other school are interchangeable regarding recent success. Ohio st has had our number, Nebraska may as well in the future, but that doesn't mean we are not a top 25 program, because in recent years we are. Nebraska and Iowa are alot alike except for tradition, that is why we compare our program with Nebraska.

I get the impression bigg10 is saying Iowa belongs among the all-time greats. Today, yes. All-time, no.

I certainly agree with you that Ferentz has your Hawkeyes looking like a worthy opponent on a yearly basis. Hopefully he's beginning to build something lasting in Iowa City. You cannot have too many good teams in your conference.

I won't walk into that Black Friday game without concern. Iowa is a team that can beat anyone on its schedule. But I still expect to win that game. And I think you guys should expect that, too.

Knap, I am sorry that was not what I was saying or trying to. He explained it very well how I feel about it, he just did it nicely. I on the other hand was trying to use numbers and such as that's kind of my thing and what I do alot of this time of year, while going thru last years games. I apoligize for the misunderstanding. But since I am here I will share another number or stat that I come across.

Remember how last year Iowa was, just crappy. I mean I am a fan, but how do you come up with an excuse for a season where you were mentioned as a NC contender (way early) and end up 8 and 5 WITH a bowl win. I mean everybody could see on TV Iowa's D was just gassed come the 4th quater, I think I remember the announcer's even saying it. All the fans, including myself were just pissed off to no end. You could see the team just gave up and all eyes were on KF. I mean come on we lost to MN, the fricking Gophers. Like someone said about your past D you once had all the pieces were there, we expected way better, everyone in the country expected better out of us.

Now this is the numbers I wanted to give to you. If my eyes did'nt fail me (and they do now and again).

Nebraska played 14 games last year and you all know you got a rock solid D. In those 14 games you gave up 243 points (you can argue giving up or scheduals or even conf strength if ya want but that's been done to death).

Iowa played 13 games and gave up 221.

Stopping the run last year would have helped out a lot last year. Hopefully this year, we can live up to stopping the run in a run heavy conference.

Agreed, the second half of the A&M game we let too many yards go. And the entire bowl game. :facepalm:

Really? They scored 9 points. I don't think our run defense was the problem.

Stopping the run last year would have helped out a lot last year. Hopefully this year, we can live up to stopping the run in a run heavy conference.

Agreed, the second half of the A&M game we let too many yards go. And the entire bowl game. :facepalm:

9 points was all they needed to win that game. But even games we won, the run defense didn't live up to the expectations of many Husker fans.

I have to disagree with you on one of your points. Education is not the top tier in most football athlete's consideration. It is the wins and how far is that program going to take them to the NFL. There are a select few that go to college for the education, but not that many.

I wont argue that with you. I do know several players at Iowa are fairly smart and serious about their ed, but overall yes you are 100% right.

9 points was all they needed to win that game. But even games we won, the run defense didn't live up to the expectations of many Husker fans.

If we had scored one more touchdown or two more field goals, that game would be remembered as perhaps the Blackshirts' most brilliant defensive performance of the year. Husker fans weren't satisfied with the run defense because they don't understand the Pelini's defense. The running yards we gave up were the pawns we sacrificed in order to checkmate A&M's king. It worked too - but between our crappy offensive performance and the absurd officiating, we couldn't score more than 10 points.

• Fire 1

Now onto non chest beating football talk. With TP gone, do you expect OH St to run the ball more? I think you have some talent at RB, no more TP and a less experienced qb now. Mabey back to a more "pro set"?

OSU will go as far as Braxton Miller (whenever he gets the starting job) takes them. He is a pass first qb but can run very well.

If we had scored one more touchdown or two more field goals, that game would be remembered as perhaps the Blackshirts' most brilliant defensive performance of the year. Husker fans weren't satisfied with the run defense because they don't understand the Pelini's defense. The running yards we gave up were the pawns we sacrificed in order to checkmate A&M's king. It worked too - but between our crappy offensive performance and the absurd officiating, we couldn't score more than 10 points.

Our Defense hasn't been the problem, but the offense has.

The Huskers were 13, I say again thirteen points from being undefeated going into the bowl game. The Defense was and is the reason we're on the precipice of being back to where many of my fellow fans would like us to be. The Offense needs to get its proverbial sh*t together and things will come together.

Now onto non chest beating football talk. With TP gone, do you expect OH St to run the ball more? I think you have some talent at RB, no more TP and a less experienced qb now. Mabey back to a more "pro set"?

OSU will go as far as Braxton Miller (whenever he gets the starting job) takes them. He is a pass first qb but can run very well.

Yeah I figured they would go more pro set with some experience behind a new qb. Hows his arm?

I have not kept up with all thats happened over there. I hate that kind of news and just try and wait for it to get all settled first. Ya know it wasnt good, but how bad is the question.

I am kind of excited to see t-mart this year. That first year is always rough on qb's and you can tell alot when they come back the second year how they will turn out. You guys ought to have a pretty good game (Nebraska/OH.) It will be weird if both teams try pro set more this year, and Mich says thats what they are going for, and I also read where Northwestern wants to try more rushing. Face it Mich and northwestern had to. I am not so sure either of you two have to, but with Bo's D approach it would work out best in the long run.

I have to disagree with you on one of your points. Education is not the top tier in most football athlete's consideration. It is the wins and how far is that program going to take them to the NFL. There are a select few that go to college for the education, but not that many.

Understatement of the year.

For example, out of the 80 ships for cfb, how many are taking a hard science major (EE, CE, ME, etc)? Maybe two? One? They're there to play football. Period. 99% will have totally worthless majors with the possible exception of govn jobs.

They're taking the glory "now" instead of the possible better careers later. At their age, I don't really blame them. Going for the gusto is a very low odds of big success but looking at their friends working in cubicles all day......well......

Our Defense hasn't been the problem, but the offense has.

The Huskers were 13, I say again thirteen points from being undefeated going into the bowl game. The Defense was and is the reason we're on the precipice of being back to where many of my fellow fans would like us to be. The Offense needs to get its proverbial sh*t together and things will come together.

Overall I will agree with that statement.

But you can't convince me that last year the rush defense was suberb. You can't convince me that the front four perform as well as the front four the year before. If i had to rate each players performance on the line from last year. It would look something like this.

Crick - B+

Allen - C

Meredith - B

Steinkuhler - C+

You can't tell me that each of those guys meet your expectations last year.

Even the LB position, you have to admit was possibly a little soft. Sure David was outstanding, but you can't tell me losing Fisher and Compton didn't reflect some on the rush defense. Martin was a beast, but alas kind of slow for a Big 12 LB, compared to David and Hagg who played up sometimes in the LB position. I give Pelini props for utilizing him in that way, in fact i dare say Hagg was utilize more as a LB when Fisher and Compton was out.

There are going to be high expectations again for the front four and the LB lineup. I just hope they live up to those high expectations like they were last year. We nearly lost of the ISU because of run defense. Oklahoma State was more a mixed bag with an average performance from Prince against Blackmon, but even Kendall Hunter broke open for big yardage in that game.

Offensively, we had the talent, we had the tools, sometimes Watson just didn't use the tools the right way. Texas A&M was a fluke that should just be burned. But allow me to shed some light on other games. Personally i think Watson lost us the Oklahoma game, things went well with running the ball with Burkhead and Helu, then we came out third quarter trying to pass the ball, then run Martinez, then pass the ball again. He should have just stuck to what worked, running the ball with Helu and Burkhead. The South Dakota State game, once again blame that on Watson, poor playcalling and perhaps motivation by players. Bowl Game, Watson's fault but more over motivation on players part. Pelini can say all he wants about it wasn't lack on motivation, but you can't hide the players eyes and actions on the field, Bo.

But this year, Watson is out, so if the offense struggles, we just simply look at as the process of Tim Beck bringing in a new offensive system. Or some can call for his head to be fired. Defensively, we all expect a drop in performance from the secondary and safeties, especially with a new coach. But the DL and LB should be the backbone of the defense this year, which is where we need it in a run heavy conference.

• Fire 1

For all our stars on defense last year, and for all of our lofty rankings in three of the four major defensive categories, we still left a lot to be desired. I would certainly hope that our DEF looks at last year as a "down" year, not as a continuation of the previous year's dominance.

This defense has the potential to be truly great, but there are several guys who need to step up and perform like they've been hyped. You cannot rest on the laurels of your recruiting stars or positive press, nor can you think you've arrived once you've been given a Blackshirt. I think there was some complacence last year that had no place on our team. Let's hope that's gone.

For all our stars on defense last year, and for all of our lofty rankings in three of the four major defensive categories, we still left a lot to be desired. I would certainly hope that our DEF looks at last year as a "down" year, not as a continuation of the previous year's dominance.

This defense has the potential to be truly great, but there are several guys who need to step up and perform like they've been hyped. You cannot rest on the laurels of your recruiting stars or positive press, nor can you think you've arrived once you've been given a Blackshirt. I think there was some complacence last year that had no place on our team. Let's hope that's gone.

I'll take a down year anytime where we rank 9th in scoring defense. That's hard to do when your offense doesn't show up for the last half of the season.

But I agree that this year's Blackshirts have the potential to be even better.