Dr. Tom considered coaching at Michigan State in '99 and '02?

Wow! Learn something new everyday.

Nebraska fans, if you liked Bob Devaney, you'll love Michigan State.

The architect of the Cornhuskers' gridiron greatness cut his coaching teeth at four Michigan high schools, then became a key assistant in East Lansing under College Football Hall of Fame members Biggie Munn and Duffy Daugherty.

Continue Reading

I've never, ever, heard that before. Does Jack Ebling have a source for the Osborne to MSU information? It would seem odd that Tom would retire after 30+ years at Nebraska, only to enter talks with Michigan State around the time he was gearing up for a congressional run. Then enter talks again while he was serving and running for re-election.

Maybe someone else has some knowledge to confirm this story, but it sounds fishy to me.

:espnsucks:

I've never, ever, heard that before. Does Jack Ebling have a source for the Osborne to MSU information? It would seem odd that Tom would retire after 30+ years at Nebraska, only to enter talks with Michigan State around the time he was gearing up for a congressional run. Then enter talks again while he was serving and running for re-election.

Maybe someone else has some knowledge to confirm this story, but it sounds fishy to me.

I think he was talking about switching to MSU on NCAA 2002?

This is legit--I remember something to this effect came out when everyone was ready to jettison Frank, as people came to the conclusion that Dr. Tom's consideration of external offers meant he stepped down in '97 for reasons other than those he gave--namely, that Dr. Tom had promised the helm of the 'Huskers to Frank, and Frank was getting itchy to coach.

Mind you, this line of thought was floating out there back in '02 and '03 as a way to blame Frank for the (then) downfall, before the program was eventually 'Callahaned'.

Don't think it's legit, but it was floating out there in the ether, FWIW.

This is legit--I remember something to this effect came out when everyone was ready to jettison Frank, as people came to the conclusion that Dr. Tom's consideration of external offers meant he stepped down in '97 for reasons other than those he gave--namely, that Dr. Tom had promised the helm of the 'Huskers to Frank, and Frank was getting itchy to coach.

Mind you, this line of thought was floating out there back in '02 and '03 as a way to blame Frank for the (then) downfall, before the program was eventually 'Callahaned'.

I remember hearing that same thing. I guess only the people close to the situation know what really took place.

As for Osborne going to Michigan State in 2002, well, I just don't see congressmen clamoring to leave Washington D.C. to become the head coach of the Spartans.

I don't buy this at all. Why would Osborne coach at a mediocre University like Michigan State? So Michigan State was only the best option available or only school considering to hire Osborne? Doubt it.

Osborne back then (94-97) was that decades version of Urban Meyer. Today Urban Meyer's name is being brought up in BIG time Universities like Miami and Ohio State to think of a few to be the new head coach. Its hard to believe that any other top University back in 99' or 02' weren't clawing to get Tom to coach at their University. IMO I believe that Michigan State would've been a step down from his previous coaching position at Nebraska.

i can't verify anything, but a key point to that rumor, which i tend to believe, is that osborne left earlier than he was ready because he wanted to do so while he still had enough pull to deliver on his promise to solich. with byrne, an outsider, coming in as the AD, we lost some of the family approach and osborne (right or wrong) wanted to keep it in the family while he could.

of course, if this is indeed true, you have to wonder where we would be if chancellor spanier had hired the NU guy, and TO's choice, for AD (papik) instead of bringing in a hot shot outsider. would TO have stayed longer? long enough to change out some of the aging coaching staff that caused solich some problems? long enough to have turner groomed for head coach if solich finally moved on? long enough to cement us further as an absolute machine of a program? ifs and nuts...

i can't verify anything, but a key point to that rumor, which i tend to believe, is that osborne left earlier than he was ready because he wanted to do so while he still had enough pull to deliver on his promise to solich. with byrne, an outsider, coming in as the AD, we lost some of the family approach and osborne (right or wrong) wanted to keep it in the family while he could.

of course, if this is indeed true, you have to wonder where we would be if chancellor spanier had hired the NU guy, and TO's choice, for AD (papik) instead of bringing in a hot shot outsider. would TO have stayed longer? long enough to change out some of the aging coaching staff that caused solich some problems? long enough to have turner groomed for head coach if solich finally moved on? long enough to cement us further as an absolute machine of a program? ifs and nuts...

Very interesting theories. It's so sad it went down like it did. Firing Frank/Bo for Clownahan/Coz has to be a top 5 failure in the history of cfb. Especially considering even three "more" years of the Callawatts/ Ted trainwreck.

Whew! Thank God it's over.