NU self-reports violation regarding textbooks

The University of Nebraska Athletic Department announced Tuesday that it has self-reported NCAA violations pertaining to student-athletes who inadvertently received recommended course textbooks, in addition to their required textbooks.

Recommended textbooks are not permissible under NCAA legislation. Nebraska submitted a report to the NCAA on the matter just recently.

Nebraska uncovered the violations on its own, and conducted a violation into the potential violations.

Nebraska found that "no intentional wrongdoing, no monetary reward and no competitive advantage was gained on any part of the student-athletes involved."

LJS Link

At a time when the NCAA is looking to hammer people, any violation is a bad thing. Still, I'd rather it be about textbooks than tattoos.

Yeah, it looks like it was simply an honest mistake, and one that stems from the totally understandable NCAA rules on student athletes!!!

At a time when the NCAA is looking to hammer people, any violation is a bad thing. Still, I'd rather it be about textbooks than tattoos.

Yeah, it looks like it was simply an honest mistake, and one that stems from the totally understandable NCAA rules on student athletes!!!

I don't know. It seems like this was something the Bookstore was doing because they were athletes. That is definitely obviously not OK.

If we find out everyone in these classes was 'given' these books that would be different. But I don't think we're going to find that out.

I don't know. It seems like this was something the Bookstore was doing because they were athletes. That is definitely obviously not OK.

If we find out everyone in these classes was 'given' these books that would be different. But I don't think we're going to find that out.

Note that there's a subtle distinction here: the bookstore IS allowed to give out free books to athletes if the books are REQUIRED for the class. But they were also giving out books RECOMMENDED for the class. It's easy to see how they could be confused.

Absolutely this is a violation of NCAA rules, but pretty minor compared to the other stuff going on elsewhere. And note that NU found and investigated the issue - it was not a case of the media or NCAA discovering these things first.

Note that there's a subtle distinction here: the bookstore IS allowed to give out free books to athletes if the books are REQUIRED for the class. But they were also giving out books RECOMMENDED for the class. It's easy to see how they could be confused.

Absolutely this is a violation of NCAA rules, but pretty minor compared to the other stuff going on elsewhere. And note that NU found and investigated the issue - it was not a case of the media or NCAA discovering these things first.

I did not note that. That's how dumb I am. I totally forgot that they were already getting the required books for free. :facepalm:

In my defense I'm very tired. Loooong weekend. But that's pretty boneheaded on my part to have missed that. :wtf

I did not note that. That's how dumb I am. I totally forgot that they were already getting the required books for free. :facepalm:

In my defense I'm very tired. Loooong weekend. But that's pretty boneheaded on my part to have missed that. :wtf

No worries.

My only question to this is:

TO said that the students paid to charity the extra amount for what they should have. What about the people that did it in 2007 and already graduated?

I know, it's peanuts, but it is still out there. And one of the comments I agree with. It seems that the NCAA is getting way out of hand on some of these rules.

It seems that the NCAA is getting way out of hand on some of these rules.

I tend to agree with this rule, though. The gist of it is, if the regular students aren't getting this, the athletes can't get it, either. Like Dr. Tom said, NO athlete is choosing Nebraska because our bookstore gave out free "recommended" textbooks to the athletes. But even still, you can't let something like that go.

What I want to know is, what is the nature of our "probation?" Does this carry any kind of penalty, or is this just for show?

While I am sure your correct Kapplc, but the article never said if regular students weren't getting the same deal. I will admit that I read it wrong the first time in that they weren't getting it for free, just recommended to get it (which is why I didn't understand).

As the probation, was the: pay to a charity the only thing that happened to the athletes? I know the AD was fined, but the students should be getting something to if that is the case.

Ok, explain this to me. Recommended text books are bad because Joe Shmoe student doesn't get them. But having the school pay for a tutor is cool? And seeing as the athletes are essentially 'borrowing' the books as they have to return them after the course, it really seems like a silly rule. But then I'm sure its an 'extra benefit' if a library had a check out limit and let an athlete check out one extra book too....

Oh, the unfair advantages, extra books to read for a class... :sarcasm

And its self-reported, better than the NCAA finding out that we tried to cover it up.

To me what is stupid is that recommend additional books (like practice workbooks) aren't covered under the scholarships allowed by NCAA bylaws. . .why wouldn't you want your student athletes to have extra materials that make your coursework more understandable? Unfortunately its an honest mistake that wasn't caught because people didn't understand the difference between recommended for the class and required for the class. The only ones getting anything out of it was the book store.