2012 Presidential Campaign - Obama vs. Romney

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Romney isn't a shoo-in right now after all. I thought he had this thing tied up after Florida. Shows what I know.

New Pew survey: Among Republicans, Santorum in statistical dead heat with Romney

Rick Santorum's popularity among Republican voters has blown up nationally in recent weeks, according to a new survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press that finds him in a statistical tie with Mitt Romney in the race for the White House.

Santorum leads Romney 30 percent to 28 percent among Republicans and voters that lean Republican, according to the poll conducted Feb. 8-12. The survey, which has a margin of error of plus or minus five percentage points, shows that support for Santorum has more than doubled among the group since the poll was last taken in January.

With 10 states set to vote on March 6, after primaries in Arizona and Michigan on Feb. 28th and caucuses in Washington on March 3, the focus of the race has transitioned from state-by-state contests to a nationwide contest, which makes national polling more relevant than it was earlier.

The greatest thrust of support for Santorum comes from Republicans who associate themselves with the tea party. "Rick Santorum's support among Tea Party Republicans and white evangelicals is surging," the poll's overview concludes, while adding that a majority of Republicans would vote for Romney if he becomes the nominee.

So I'm not following the GOP election real closely, but what's the deal with Ron Paul? Any way he gets the nomination, or is it pretty much impossible for him right now?

Ron Paul cannot win the Republican nomination, even if he had the most delegates his nomination would be blocked at the convention.

He is taking advantage of their debates to get his Libertarian message out, then will announce that he is running as an independent just before or after the convention.

If Ron Paul was not in the Republican race now, he'd be getting the same attention that Gary Johnson is.