College Searching

I would not suggest a CC, go to school, meet friends, live away from home and have fun.

Check out some places you think you might like to live later on in live, maybe some SEC schools, who knows. Just get on a campus and enjoy your time, check out some Frats, see if its for you, check out the doorms.

Can it be exepensive? Sure, but its worth it. Now, if you are planning on going into Family and Consumer Science, Education, Social Work, stay away from the really expensive schools.

But I woudl tell you NOT to worry about the money part, college is an experience, you will probably meet your future best friends there, the same friends that you will be talking to, emailing and textings 20 years from now, you will possibly meet your wife, you will go back and visit the place a few times.

It will be worth it. Just be sure to work over the summers to have spending money!

I would not suggest a CC, go to school, meet friends, live away from home and have fun.

Check out some places you think you might like to live later on in live, maybe some SEC schools, who knows. Just get on a campus and enjoy your time, check out some Frats, see if its for you, check out the doorms.

Can it be exepensive? Sure, but its worth it. Now, if you are planning on going into Family and Consumer Science, Education, Social Work, stay away from the really expensive schools.

But I woudl tell you NOT to worry about the money part, college is an experience, you will probably meet your future best friends there, the same friends that you will be talking to, emailing and textings 20 years from now, you will possibly meet your wife, you will go back and visit the place a few times.

It will be worth it. Just be sure to work over the summers to have spending money!

I fundamentally disagree with every single thing that you put in your post. Probably the worst part that I hear constantly that is that 'college is an experience', so just do what feels good. It is reckless and ignorant to tell an 18 year old to do it cause it feels good not because it is what is logical. Everything is an experience.

You will probably meet your future best friends there and possibly meet your wife.??? I live 300 miles away from where I graduated from and rarely talk to anyone that I went to school with. I met my wife while she was attending another University. I don't know about probably, maybe, possibly or might, but you will definitely being paying for it long after you realize that employers don't care if you took 2 years of Gen Ed's at Metro before you finished at UNL or UNO. I'm sure your counter will be that your wife was your Chemistry Lab partner and the best man in your wedding use to hold your face out of the toilet in the dorm room so you wouldn't drown when you puked.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone to a school like Milford-SCC and learned a trade rather than my Nebraska-Degree that I really don't use. You enter the workforce a lot faster because you have real work skills and it is far easier to find a job. I do understand that that isn't for everybody.

I had no adult 'real world guidance' when I chose the university that I ended up attending. I made the choice based upon where I wanted to play football only. Looking back I can't believe how lucky I was because that was a really stupid decision.

• Fire 1

I fundamentally disagree with every single thing that you put in your post. Probably the worst part that I hear constantly that is that 'college is an experience', so just do what feels good. It is reckless and ignorant to tell an 18 year old to do it cause it feels good not because it is what is logical. Everything is an experience.

You will probably meet your future best friends there and possibly meet your wife.??? I live 300 miles away from where I graduated from and rarely talk to anyone that I went to school with. I met my wife while she was attending another University. I don't know about probably, maybe, possibly or might, but you will definitely being paying for it long after you realize that employers don't care if you took 2 years of Gen Ed's at Metro before you finished at UNL or UNO. I'm sure your counter will be that your wife was your Chemistry Lab partner and the best man in your wedding use to hold your face out of the toilet in the dorm room so you wouldn't drown when you puked.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone to a school like Milford-SCC and learned a trade rather than my Nebraska-Degree that I really don't use. You enter the workforce a lot faster because you have real work skills and it is far easier to find a job. I do understand that that isn't for everybody.

I had no adult 'real world guidance' when I chose the university that I ended up attending. I made the choice based upon where I wanted to play football only. Looking back I can't believe how lucky I was because that was a really stupid decision.

I never took chem and I am not married. Maybe I should have taken Chem class!

College doesnt have to be expensive. Heck, you live in a house with 4 or 5 friends you pay 200 dollars a month for your rent/bills. I am not sure about undgrad tution anymore but I just took a couple more Masters classes this summer, through UNK and for two classes (6 hours) it was 1500 dollars. So, undergrad would be a bit cheaper. 184 a credit hour at UNK (I imagine UNL is the same or close to it) so 15 credits will run you 3,000 dollars, toss in books, we can say about 3,500 give or take a bit.

So now you are looking at 200 month for rent/bills, 3,500 a semester for 15 credit hours (you can always take 12 and then take a few classes over the summer at SCC or Metro to save cash). Food/booze, thats tough, if he lives in Omaha and is at UNL then my guess is he gets away with coming home to get food and 20 dollars here and there so he can probably live on about 150 a month for all food and booze. Okay, so lets see.

3,500 (per semester if taking 15 hours) 7,000 total

2,000 (if you can get a off camups house with friends and you pay about 200 a month, doable, trust me)

150 (a month food/booze) we will round up to 1,400

10,400 dollars for a year of school. That is not that expensive.

Now, lets assume again that this kid WORKS full time over the summer, 10-12 weeks of full time work, say about 8 dollars an hour. 3,200, take out taxes, 2,400 dollars (give or take)He just paid for 20% of his first year. WOW, thats really good.

Now, lets say he works a bit during the school year, maybe 15 hours a week. So after taxes he is making 100 dollars a week (maybe he waites tables or bartends, tax free baby, shhhhh, dont tell the IRS) so now we are looking at 400 a month, during the school year. Lets be nice and say that counts as September - April (I will do you a solid and not even count Xmas, lets give him the entire month of December off) so 7 months at 400 a month. 2,800 (roughly, maybe he misses a few days cause he is sick or maybe he gets more cash for Xmas and uses that, who knows.

So our 10,400 that we started with was down to 7,000 from his summer work and with his "during school work" it is down to 5,200, lets be really safe and say its closer to 6,000.

Now, after having a full time job (real work experience, possibly something he can use later, maybe something that he will end up majoring in) and then being a responsible kid and working during the school year (I did it, Tom Olsen Lawn Care, Lincoln Nebraska, I BUSTED MY ASS mowing lawns for that man) so he is alreayd down to 6,000!

This kid has not only had a great college experience but he also worked full time over the summer and 20 hours a week while in school! Lets not forget, this is taking 15 credits each semester, not 12 and 12 or 12 and 15 or 15 and 12. So it could be a bit less!

So now, we have this, what did you call it, "reckles and ignorant" advice given to this 18 year old kid, who has paid for over HALF his first year of school, was away from home, growing up, being responsible with a full time and part time job, learning in the class and meeting new friends.

Dont even get me started if he is working right now, cause, well, thats even more money that he will have to use!

I did it, not long ago, I did again for my Masters. It is very doable. If you want to do it.

Is it for everyone? No, its not, but its doable and can be done cheaply.

I do agree with what you said about possible employers not really caring about your gen eds, thats true. Unless you went to a top 10 school, no one really cares to much.

I hope you dont think I am trying to be a D-bag when I reply to your post, I was just trying to explain my side of it. I do agree with you that lots of kids should check out CC first, it just seems like this kid was talking about a U. Also, why was your choice lucky? You sound like you hated college.

I talk to my college friends all the time. I have been out of undergrade for 13 years or so

That. As long as you can get your butt to class, I believe the University experience is worth it.

I hope you dont think I am trying to be a D-bag when I reply to your post, I was just trying to explain my side of it. I do agree with you that lots of kids should check out CC first, it just seems like this kid was talking about a U. Also, why was your choice lucky? You sound like you hated college.

Nope, good response. We are about the same age it looks like.

I was lucky because I went to college for the wrong reason. It has worked out fine for me, but the only reason I did it is because everyone else was doing it. I think it is one of the reasons why MBA participation is exploding right now. I believe a lot of people are getting MBA's because they think MBA = more money and more opportunities. I think most are falling for the propaganda hook line and sinker.

A few years ago, when I was living in a different part of the country, there was a top 5 MBA school literally down the street from me. I watched as my next door neighbor and 3 of his buddies went through the program. I don't know the details of the buddies finances, but I think they had wealthy families. My neighbor was in his late twenties with wife and child. He had racked up about $150K in student loans in 2.5 years. When he graduated, he had his choice of several $80K in major metro areas. He moved to Boston to take his $80K job. It take forever plus a day to pay off $150K making $80K in Boston. I think his buddies made more money and I don't think that they had debt issues either.

I have my job and my career in part because of a college education, but I also believe that is one of the most overrated things out there. I have worked with people in my exact role that have received degrees from Michigan, Michigan State, West Point, Clemson, Bellevue University, and Phoenix. There are more, but my point is it doesn't matter.

I just think people need to be careful.

Nope, good response. We are about the same age it looks like.

I was lucky because I went to college for the wrong reason. It has worked out fine for me, but the only reason I did it is because everyone else was doing it. I think it is one of the reasons why MBA participation is exploding right now. I believe a lot of people are getting MBA's because they think MBA = more money and more opportunities. I think most are falling for the propaganda hook line and sinker.

A few years ago, when I was living in a different part of the country, there was a top 5 MBA school literally down the street from me. I watched as my next door neighbor and 3 of his buddies went through the program. I don't know the details of the buddies finances, but I think they had wealthy families. My neighbor was in his late twenties with wife and child. He had racked up about $150K in student loans in 2.5 years. When he graduated, he had his choice of several $80K in major metro areas. He moved to Boston to take his $80K job. It take forever plus a day to pay off $150K making $80K in Boston. I think his buddies made more money and I don't think that they had debt issues either.

I have my job and my career in part because of a college education, but I also believe that is one of the most overrated things out there. I have worked with people in my exact role that have received degrees from Michigan, Michigan State, West Point, Clemson, Bellevue University, and Phoenix. There are more, but my point is it doesn't matter.

I just think people need to be careful.

I do know what you mean about MBA schools. I had two friends go to U of Chicago for MBA's, which I think is 1 or 2 ranked and they both seem to enjoy the benifits of that degree. In the end though, it really just depends, you never know what will happen.

I think everyones points are valid and are basically saying to same thing. The OP just needs to think through the decision and make the one thats best for them in the long run. As with all things it is what you make of it.

If you are a hard worker and a freindly approachable person chances are it wont matter where you recieved your B.S. or Masters. And college is what you make of it. I went to a 4 years University from day 1. I did infact meet my wife there. I did infact meet many of my closest friends there. I did infact have 2 guys that i used to get wasted and puke with our freshman year standing as my groomsmen when I was married 5 years later. One of those men takes my 5 year old fishing a few times a year now and they both are fixtures in my home with my family.

However, I am a people person. I am likable. I am the type of person who can walk into a room knowing nobody and leave with a few friends. So....is that my story because i went to a 4 year and had that freshman experiance with those friends? or just because i would have made freinds no matter where i was?

As I said above, it is what you make of it. I made the most of my time in college and i have alot of great things to show from it.

I think everyones points are valid and are basically saying to same thing. The OP just needs to think through the decision and make the one thats best for them in the long run. As with all things it is what you make of it.

If you are a hard worker and a freindly approachable person chances are it wont matter where you recieved your B.S. or Masters. And college is what you make of it. I went to a 4 years University from day 1. I did infact meet my wife there. I did infact meet many of my closest friends there. I did infact have 2 guys that i used to get wasted and puke with our freshman year standing as my groomsmen when I was married 5 years later. One of those men takes my 5 year old fishing a few times a year now and they both are fixtures in my home with my family.

However, I am a people person. I am likable. I am the type of person who can walk into a room knowing nobody and leave with a few friends. So....is that my story because i went to a 4 year and had that freshman experiance with those friends? or just because i would have made freinds no matter where i was?

As I said above, it is what you make of it. I made the most of my time in college and i have alot of great things to show from it.

I dont like you...okay maybe I do.

I think everything you said is pretty much spot on. Is it for everyone, nope, could it cost lots of money, sure. Can it really be worth it, you bet.

I know college isn't for everyone, but if someone would ask me if they should go to college, I would highly recommend it. The college experience goes beyond the education/diploma you receive.

Here is what I gained from my college experience

--4 years of eduction in something I was interested learning more about and that I use in my work today (business and finance), along with other classes that are kinda fun to attend. I was able to take an acting class, history of rock n roll, and history of American Jazz.

--Living 2 years in a frat, and then 2 years in a house near campus with 4 other friends. The frat experience was pretty good. The first year was a blast because we had parties all the time, the house was full of fun people, and there was always someone to hang out with. The 2nd year kinda sucked after the alums kicked out 90% of the actives and we had like 8 pledges. Living off-campus was great because it forced me to buy my own groceries, clean dishes, clean the bathroom, and do other stuff that you need to do "on your own". Plus, we had a great time playing video games, messing with each other, watching college and pro football on the weekends (and doing some gambling), going to the bars when turned 21, and having other friends over to do a bit of partying.

--Going to the football games was a blast. It helped that NU won 3 national championships while I was an undergrad (man, it would have sucked to be there during the BC era) and the student section still had very good seats when I was there. When I lived on campus, it was fun to walk through the campus, seeing everyone in red, people just getting so excited for the game. Living off campus meant we had to find someplace to park near the stadium, but we would meet friends at their house, do some grilling out before the games, and getting "primed".

--I enjoyed meeting people from all over. I went to high school in Omaha, and maintained a lot of my close friendships from high school into college, but I became friends with guys from all over Nebraska, South Dakota, and one guy from Chicago (with whom I am a close friend with today). I wasn't the most social guy in the world, but you have the opportunity to get to know a lot of different people from different backgrounds in college.

--I did meet my wife while I was in college. Although she was going to Nebraska Wesleyan at the time, we were able to share experiences of "going to college" at the same time. I was able to meet another circle of people through her, and she did the same through me.

--The final thing I would comment about college is the amazing amount of freedom you have. Yes, there are classes and studying and maybe a part-time job, but I was still able to enjoy an amazing amount of free time to hang out and enjoy life. When I lived on campus, we would always get a few guys to go to the campus rec center to play basketball or throw the football around the Cook Pavillion. On Wednesday nights, we would get a group of people to go bowling and have some beers on "college night". The bars can also be fun to hang out with your friends and scope out some girls. When you are in college, you learn how to balance your time and responsibilities. You have a whole life to work 40-50 hours a week in an office (or wherever you end up working) and have "real responsibilities". College is a great time to enjoy yourself, learn things about yourself, and grow from a kid living with your parents to someone who is a young adult.

• Fire 1

Visit a lot of schools. See which one fits your style. If you are at all interested in something in the medical or technology field DO IT. Most job markets are pretty terrible at the moment and those are the least terrible of the bunch.

Another advantage of a 4 year school is that you will be delaying your entry into a career job . . . and HOPEFULLY the market will be improved by that time.

I wanted to add one more thing. I don't know where the OP is from, he sounded like he is from somewhere in Nebraska. I just thought I would tell him or her that if you are from a small town in Nebraska, don't be intimidated by the "size" of Lincoln or the University. Lincoln is a decent sized city, and has grown a lot since I was there in the mid to late 90s. But, if you are a student, you are going to spend the vast majority of your time on or around campus. In that way, Lincoln seems really "small". If you live on campus, you are going to be walking to all of your classes, studying, intramurals, and most other things you do in the spare time. You will only go off campus to do grocery shopping or to the mall (or maybe work). Downtown Lincoln is an easy walk from most areas of campus, and even if you have to drive, it's not a long drive.

I know the campus of UNL may seem "big" with 20-25k students. Yes, you will have large lecture classes as a frosh and sophomore, but, your most important classes in your major are in fairly small classes, where you can get the individual attention (if you really need it). Whether you live in a dorm or in a frat, you will get a circle of friends that you will hang out with and spend a lot of time with. It really isn't that big of an adjustment from high school, no matter where you are from.