Mike Gesell Watch

You know all this sounds great but somone please tell who on our team that dosent pass the ball and not a team player.. We need some ball hogs that are alittle full of them selves that can take control of a game and put up 30 plus points.

I have only seen this kid play twice, but I was not all that impressed. The first time was this last season when South Sioux City played Bellevue East. My little brother guarded Gessel (and I don't want to sound like one of those guys that thinks his brother is the greatest thing ever. My brother is going to Nebraska Wesleyan to play ball. He is good but not great by any means). Gessel was held to 11 points in regulation. A good player, but overrated IMO.

Just curious how many points did the other guard Groth go for? The thing with Gesell that is truely enjoyable to watch is that he never forces his game. He is willing to get his teammates involved and keep feeding them when they are hot. More often than not that was Groth. When the time is needed he can flip the switch on and take over a game.

You beat me to it, PC. The thing that impressed me most in the state games (other than his pull up jumper) was how calm and unselfish he was. Most guys that age that are "the guy" are hot dogs and ball hogs. The games I watched, he was more than happy to collect an assist and let someone else do the scoring, but at the same time you felt like he was always in control and could create if he needed to. I'd also like to know his shooting percentage from that game, if he was 5-27 it's a little different than if he was 5-9.

I'm not sure about his shooting percentage, but I do know that Gesell is just as dangerous attacking the basket as he is with his pull-up jumper. If his jumper isn't falling, he is smart enough to not keep jacking up that shot, but he will start driving to the basket where he will kick out for open jumpers or finish where he is almost D-Rose-esque at the rim.

You know all this sounds great but somone please tell who on our team that dosent pass the ball and not a team player.. We need some ball hogs that are alittle full of them selves that can take control of a game and put up 30 plus points.

Here's the difference between current guys on the roster and Mike. He could go for 20+ a night because, as we have been alluding to throughout the thread, he is money with his jumper from 10-18 feet. A guy that can pull up and hit that shot is what has been absent for a long time. What Mike also can do that so many on the roster struggle with is make freaking FTs. Put those two factors together alone and you damn near have the leading scorer for the team. Yes is is possible, and if Doc can land him very plausible

Here's the difference between current guys on the roster and Mike. He could go for 20+ a night because, as we have been alluding to throughout the thread, he is money with his jumper from 10-18 feet. A guy that can pull up and hit that shot is what has been absent for a long time. What Mike also can do that so many on the roster struggle with is make freaking FTs. Put those two factors together alone and you damn near have the leading scorer for the team. Yes is is possible, and if Doc can land him very plausible

It kills me knowing that sooooo many games in the past few years could have had a different outcome because of free throws. Not saying that they would have, but I think it certainly could have given us a few more wins when the games were close. Missing free throws has been the bane of my Husker basketball fandom. Really hope we can land the kid. I got the chance to watch him a few times last year and (not saying I have an eye for talent) was impressed. Kids like him don't come around often.

It kills me knowing that sooooo many games in the past few years could have had a different outcome because of free throws. Not saying that they would have, but I think it certainly could have given us a few more wins when the games were close. Missing free throws has been the bane of my Husker basketball fandom. Really hope we can land the kid. I got the chance to watch him a few times last year and (not saying I have an eye for talent) was impressed. Kids like him don't come around often.

This, unforced turnovers, and running down the shot clock only to have anybody with a pulse on the floor jack up a falling away 3 pointer from about 30 feet out.

This, unforced turnovers, and running down the shot clock only to have anybody with a pulse on the floor jack up a falling away 3 pointer from about 30 feet out.

You two need to knock it off. July is supposed to be a happy time when we get to enjoy the lake, cold beers, and the anticipation of football... this is not a time to be making all of us relive the frustrations of November-March. Jerks.

I have only seen this kid play twice, but I was not all that impressed. The first time was this last season when South Sioux City played Bellevue East. My little brother guarded Gessel (and I don't want to sound like one of those guys that thinks his brother is the greatest thing ever. My brother is going to Nebraska Wesleyan to play ball. He is good but not great by any means). Gessel was held to 11 points in regulation. A good player, but overrated IMO.

Just curious how many points did the other guard Groth go for? The thing with Gesell that is truely enjoyable to watch is that he never forces his game. He is willing to get his teammates involved and keep feeding them when they are hot. More often than not that was Groth. When the time is needed he can flip the switch on and take over a game.

You beat me to it, PC. The thing that impressed me most in the state games (other than his pull up jumper) was how calm and unselfish he was. Most guys that age that are "the guy" are hot dogs and ball hogs. The games I watched, he was more than happy to collect an assist and let someone else do the scoring, but at the same time you felt like he was always in control and could create if he needed to. I'd also like to know his shooting percentage from that game, if he was 5-27 it's a little different than if he was 5-9.

Off the top of my head I'm not sure how many he had. But I do remember being very impressed with his play that night. And I'm not saying that Gessel is a scrub and no good. He is a very solid player, I just think slightly overrated. And I read comments above about him being a gym rat. I have heard nothing but the exact same thing. I heard comments from his coach that after a loss in his sophomre year that he was so upset about the loss that he stayed after the game hours putting up shots. Finally his coached kicked him out at 12 because it was a school night. The kid has a great attitude with a motor to match that.

You two need to knock it off. July is supposed to be a happy time when we get to enjoy the lake, cold beers, and the anticipation of football... this is not a time to be making all of us relive the frustrations of November-March. Jerks.

Anything I can do to get your pulse rate jacked up in the summer is great backer. :LOLtartar

Yeah, that too but free throws is what killed me the most. I know they're not always "gimme's" but we should be making more than we have been.

It is not just Mike right now in the state, lot of basketball talent coming up.

Jalen Bradley from Norfolk is a better defender and scorer than Gessell. He also has a better deep ball. Mike is a superior ball handler, mid range shooter, and decision maker. Bradley also plays in Class A against teams from the Metro Conference that are far and away much more superior than any other part of the state right now. North Platte's Trey Moore is at Papilion-LaVista now as well. He was a scoring machine out west, we will see if that translates into scoring in the Metro.

As for the big guys, obviously Akoy Agau is a beast inside on defense and is developing his game offensively. Saw him hit a couple of 25 ft plus 3s in UNO summer league. He is probably a major recruit, possibly Big East or ACC. Burke has a big guy named Hymer, he is 6'8" or 6'9" that has a load of potential, could be a mid-major D1 guy. Benson had a 6'10" kid that broke his leg in the UNO league this summer named Riak Buol (sp) that was a dominant defender as well. He will probably miss this entire season, however.

Fun time to be around High School basketball in this state, and hopefully Doc and his boys are paying attention.

It is not just Mike right now in the state, lot of basketball talent coming up.

Jalen Bradley from Norfolk is a better defender and scorer than Gessell. He also has a better deep ball. Mike is a superior ball handler, mid range shooter, and decision maker. Bradley also plays in Class A against teams from the Metro Conference that are far and away much more superior than any other part of the state right now. North Platte's Trey Moore is at Papilion-LaVista now as well. He was a scoring machine out west, we will see if that translates into scoring in the Metro.

As for the big guys, obviously Akoy Agau is a beast inside on defense and is developing his game offensively. Saw him hit a couple of 25 ft plus 3s in UNO summer league. He is probably a major recruit, possibly Big East or ACC. Burke has a big guy named Hymer, he is 6'8" or 6'9" that has a load of potential, could be a mid-major D1 guy. Benson had a 6'10" kid that broke his leg in the UNO league this summer named Riak Buol (sp) that was a dominant defender as well. He will probably miss this entire season, however.

Fun time to be around High School basketball in this state, and hopefully Doc and his boys are paying attention.

Wouldn't that be something if about the time the new arena comes into play the in-state talent is reaching heights it hasn't seen since the 90's? After all the unlucky breaks Doc has had in his stay at NU, he's probably due for something like this to happen... count this guy as one with his fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

:bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang

Son of a BITCH!!!!!! Only a Sadler could've screwed this up. Ok, ok, I know that isn't the case. What this decision really showed was how much he wants to play with Woodbury IMO. Look for him to make the Iowa announcement soon, as NU never really had a shot with him.

Another high quality in state talent heading elsewhere. Shocker.

As Red Tape said, expect Doc to roll out an "oreo-line"(yeah a Mightly Ducks reference) of two Juco's and a JBD island nation clone.