Beck says Martinez is "biggest surprise"

Interesting read here, written by Sam McKewon (or maybe it's only interesting because we're sooooo close....) Besides Martinez, Beck talks a little about the personnel he has on offense, and a little about his philosphy. Papuchis has a few comments on position battles on defense heading into the fall.

OWH

And sophomore quarterback Taylor Martinez, Beck said, is the "biggest surprise" of summer conditioning based on what he's heard from players and strength coaches.

"He's done all the things I've asked of him," Beck said to more than 200 fans at the fundraiser. "He's got to be a leader on the football team. He has taken those reins and feels really good about where's he at mentally and physically. He's taken over."

And here is the LJS article which contains a few more tidbits on Starling.

• Fire 1

Interesting read here, written by Sam McKewon (or maybe it's only interesting because we're sooooo close....) Besides Martinez, Beck talks a little about the personnel he has on offense, and a little about his philosphy. Papuchis has a few comments on position battles on defense heading into the fall.

OWH

And sophomore quarterback Taylor Martinez, Beck said, is the "biggest surprise" of summer conditioning based on what he's heard from players and strength coaches.

"He's done all the things I've asked of him," Beck said to more than 200 fans at the fundraiser. "He's got to be a leader on the football team. He has taken those reins and feels really good about where's he at mentally and physically. He's taken over."

And here is the LJS article which contains a few more tidbits on Starling.

Well, many here won't buy that (to say the least). Sounds good to me though!

Not really sure if this was the winner, but +1 for a great article. ;)

Beck says everyone bought into the system this year. Does that mean everyone didn't buy into it last year, or the year before? And if so, that's not a good thing. If you're not the OC you need to be in line with the OC. I may have my gripes about Watson, but if he was undermined by guys just not getting behind him, that sucks.

Dude, about pissed my pants from laughing on your video. That was funny!

So true Saunders. People right off others so quickly. I remember being a Senior at 5' 7". When I got to my first year in college I was 6' tall. I grew up in so many ways ... but that could never happen to a four star athlete under our coaching with the Husker tradition in place. Just right TMart off ... guy is a loser for sure (wink).

I remember being a Senior at 5' 7". When I got to my first year in college I was 6' tall. but that could never happen to a four star athlete under our coaching with the Husker tradition in place.

Beck helped Martinez grow 5 inches and added a star to his recruiting ranking in the off season? That guy can do everything! :dunno

Beck says everyone bought into the system this year. Does that mean everyone didn't buy into it last year, or the year before? And if so, that's not a good thing. If you're not the OC you need to be in line with the OC. I may have my gripes about Watson, but if he was undermined by guys just not getting behind him, that sucks.

Correct. Barney didn't agree with Watson on oline schemes which to Watts defense was trying to change at Bo's request to move toward this offense. (not a surprise since Barney's all knowing.) There were also several Sr players *coughs* Paul, Williams, McNeil *cough* that didn't like the change in direction of the offense and an the fact their buddy wasn't the starting QB so best effort wasn't always there. Hell even Watson didn't want the offense to change direction that much. So . . yeah. . not everyone was buying in. . . or rather. . not on the same page.

Correct. Barney didn't agree with Watson on oline schemes which to Watts defense was trying to change at Bo's request to move toward this offense. (not a surprise since Barney's all knowing.) There were also several Sr players *coughs* Paul, Williams, McNeil *cough* that didn't like the change in direction of the offense and an the fact their buddy wasn't the starting QB so best effort wasn't always there. Hell even Watson didn't want the offense to change direction that much. So . . yeah. . not everyone was buying in. . . or rather. . not on the same page.

I always suspected McNeil had a bit of an attitude situation. His blocking was so poor (broken record) it almost looked like he was trying to send a message with his antipathy in all things blocking. He was an awfully good receiving TE though. (Reed is better, methinks.)

I also remember when it came out last year when Watson said Martinez was the best pure passer he had ever coached.

Just words man. Just words....

Keep your judgements until a few weeks in the season, then we can talk.

For what its worth.. .TO in conversations twice last year including once at the B12 Championship game stated TM had the best arm on the team. Now. .it wasn't asked if that meant the best passer because certain guys have a touch and throw a better ball (Carnes has a nice touch) or it doesn't speak to identifying coverage or pressure. . .but TO thinks he's very very capable and TM has everything in him to be a very special player at the QB position that fans will talk about for years. TO also stated there were multiple "outside forces" (don't remember if he used the word forces) or things out of Taylor's control that were greatly affecting his passing. I took it to mean coaching (from the context of the dialog) as well as possible effort from players on the field. It wasn't expounded on so I don't know if that is what was meant or not.

I always suspected McNeil had a bit of an attitude situation. His blocking was so poor (broken record) it almost looked like he was trying to send a message with his antipathy in all things blocking. He was an awfully good receiving TE though. (Reed is better, methinks.)

I think Reed is very very talented. Might be the best tight end we've had since Matt Herein hurt himself. Cotton is also very skilled and much more physical. I'm excited to see the two tight end sets I've been hearing about.

I think Reed is very very talented. Might be the best tight end we've had since Matt Herein hurt himself. Cotton is also very skilled and much more physical. I'm excited to see the two tight end sets I've been hearing about.

Speaking of Cotton, I always think of him as the blocker, but he had a few nice chain-moving receptions in the Missouri game. I always forget about him as a receiving threat. Let's hope our opponents do, too.