Nebraska's Bo Pelini isn't changing soon

GSG

I don't know who this bro is, but his first post in this thread is quite reasonable. And it's that exact reasonable stance that draws knee jerk reactions from several posters here who automatically assume you're taking the extreme opposite stance and want Bo's balls cut off.

Opinions on Bo's behavior at College Station last year vary, but if you look at the "body of work" of this poster, including his subsequent posts in this thread, you'll get a clearer picture of why people have reacted to him the way they have.

I don't agree with the name-calling, but I find the reaction to this person's several posts quite reasonable.

I also would be concerned with Endo's apparent misinformation about this softball game, as well as name-dropping the fact that he was invited to join by a Mod. Being buddies with a Moderator of this board does not give a person license to behave however they wish.

I would remind anyone that this is a Nebraska message board. It should come as no surprise that Nebraska fans would take it poorly that someone is cracking on their team, coach or players.

I'm completely aware that challenging the status quo upsets people. I don't participate in the name calling, and I find it funny that troll is so quick to be thrown out there. I do not give a damn about reputation and whether or not someone has a million posts or is in the teens, I can see a reason or two why someone would feel that way, but in the end it is a non-starter.

Bo is a fantastic defensive coach. His ability to be a step ahead of an offensive coordinator is something you just can't teach. There have been a ton of coaches who have learned his system but haven't been able to see the chess pieces like he does. It is a gift, and it is the reason that he is an excellent defensive coordinator. He has a system, he knows the ins and outs of it, he knows the adjustments, and he has surrounded himself with folks who by-in large are great teachers of technically sound football. In 2009, we had Suh, but the other guys around him, the way they played, was great. A few fellow coaches in the Big XII were saying that we had the most technically sound DL in the country that year, and another program in the conference singled Matt O'Hanlon out as our best defensive player on their scouting report, not ol' #93. That is high praise for a kid who earlier in 2009 was the scapegoat of many a Husker fan for his perceived gaffe in Blacksburg. Hell in 2008, I remember a text during a game about how lost #33 was and what a worthless player he was (kneejerk reaction sure). The point is he came a long long way under this defensive staff.

I am a Husker fan, and I was encouraged to join by a moderator. I wasn't coerced or anything of that nature. I was simply told that I might enjoy the group and to take a look. I dove in head first, I'm not about sugar coating anything, but nor do I have an agenda against Bo. It is the opposite, I'm actually very much pro-Bo, but I'm not blinded to his faults or problems. Like anything, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, that same analogy applies to coaches. A coach is only as good as his weakest qualities. As a head coach, there are times where you have to go out in public and do a sell job for the program. Like it or not, that is part of the job of a head coach, to schmooze with some boosters and in return, they scratch the checks it takes to keep you employed. You conduct yourself professionally and not embarrass the program, and those checks keep rolling in. Whether you like that reality or not is another discussion altogether, but that is how big time college athletics works. The other side of the token is true, you piss off enough people who scratch those checks and you find yourself without a job. At the end of the day, nothing good comes from alienating yourself from the very people who can potentially save your program and some of the same people who are partially responsible for you having a job in the first place.

Okay anyone else check out huskeronline.com and think that this is Jawbreakingsafetyplay? Same drawn out long answers that say nothing and pathetic "I am a Bo fan, but..." sentences. Only difference, he doesnt have his two or three boyfriends over here to protect him.

hahaha i thought the same thing. "I love Bo but, *4 paragraphs about why Bo sucks*"

I must say, I find myself disappointed in this board. Labeling someone a troll/Texas fan is just lazy.

LMFAO!

It's funny how some folks on this board quickly change their opinions of Bo after the Texas A&M game. I seem to remember several threads that i won't reach back in the archives that bashed Bo and Carl after the game and some ran the extreme and called for his head. But once people realized he was fighting for his players and after his apology, which Crick even stated that he felt that Bo didn't need to apologize for that. People changed their minds of Bo.

Bo is a great coach. Good for Nebraska. Even if he is a football version of Bobby Knight.

It's funny how folks on this board quickly change their opinions of Bo after the Texas A&M game. I seem to remember several threads that i won't reach back in the archives that bashed Bo and Carl after the game and some ran the extreme and called for his head. But once people realized he was fighting for his players and after his apology, which Crick even stated that he felt that Bo didn't need to apologize for that. People changed their minds of Bo.

There are many folks on this board. Not all of them were calling for Bo's head. Some were, some expressed some level of disappointment, some were entirely unmoved. Statements like this are essentially a straw man, where someone says "this board" when identifying a particular behavior or thought, when "this board" is almost never, ever entirely united in an opinion of a thing, a game, a coach, a player... anything.

Wouldn't it be better to do the legwork (boring as it is) to identify which person(s) were advocating which positions, and point your comment directly at them?

It's funny how folks on this board quickly change their opinions of Bo after the Texas A&M game. I seem to remember several threads that i won't reach back in the archives that bashed Bo and Carl after the game and some ran the extreme and called for his head. But once people realized he was fighting for his players and after his apology, which Crick even stated that he felt that Bo didn't need to apologize for that. People changed their minds of Bo.

There are many folks on this board. Not all of them were calling for Bo's head. Some were, some expressed some level of disappointment, some were entirely unmoved. Statements like this are essentially a straw man, where someone says "this board" when identifying a particular behavior or thought, when "this board" is almost never, ever entirely united in an opinion of a thing, a game, a coach, a player... anything.

Wouldn't it be better to do the legwork (boring as it is) to identify which person(s) were advocating which positions, and point your comment directly at them?

Changed it to some folks. believe me, i didn't want to make it sound like the whole board was against Bo.

Changed it to some folks. believe me, i didn't want to make it sound like the whole board was against Bo.

Yeah, that’s probably more accurate. I was disappointed with Bo’s behavior at the aTm game, but I wouldn’t call for the coach’s head over something like that. No Husker fan wants to see their coach storming the sidelines like a raving lunatic on SportsCenter highlights. But it’s just so damn hard to find a great coach, and painful to install a new staff. I think it’ll be easier to modify his behavior so he doesn’t get that far out of control.

my gut feeling is Perlman would have no problem reminding Bo once again as to what constitutes proper sideline behavior for his HC.

unfortunately the whole world, sports, business, politics and otherwise is ate up with being and acting PC.......its bullsh#t.

Maybe Perlman needs a reminder that tenured bureaucrats are a dime a dozen profession that are replaced as easily as a dozen donuts. Even more easily each passing day with our economy. There's a zillion other qualified & unemployed parasites available at a moment's notice.

If Bo keeps winning at NU maybe he should tell Harvey to STFU and go pound salt. I wouldn't blame him. Devaney & TO didn't have to listen to that crap....neither should Bo.

#1) I like that Bo is our coach!

2)..I'm glad that there are posters like EndoQuan that care enough about "OUR? Program" to not only see the positives of said coach.

3) Do you really need evidence to believe Bo would "lose it" at a softball game?

I still have mixed feelings about Callahan's Furkin' Hillbillies rant..It's funny unless you're trying to appear politically correct..I just hated having him as a coach because he didn't seem to care about winning.

Bo is really good...But he CAN be better!!!

Welcome aboard Quan-Troll!

• Fire 1

I still have mixed feelings about Callahan's Furkin' Hillbillies rant..It's funny unless you're trying to appear politically correct..

Maybe it's because it's 4:30am, but I was just reading the article about that and I nearly died laughing

“...I am distressed when people are shooting off guns and throwing fruit at our players,” Callahan said.

Sheesh, what do you have against Perlman.

He empowered the Pederson and Callahan clusterf*ck. He cost the university millions and millions of dollars by extending both contracts less than 6 months before they were canned. Lest you forget, until we moved to the Big Ten, Perlman wasn't loved. Until he finally fired Pederson and brought in TO (to can BC), he was getting a buttload of pressure to resign for his failures.

Perlman wasn't loved by whom? I have always thought he was one of our best chancellors. He made a mistake by not firing Pederson sooner, but aside from that he's been a fine leader for the university. We've experienced more growth under Perlman than under any other chancellor. He fixed his mistake with Pederson by hiring Osborne, and he's the guy who got us into the Big Ten. Navigating that minefield into where we are today should forgive any number of sins he's committed, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

The softball thing did happen and it had to do with an umpire. Bo got in a heated arguement with an umpire about a call made. Bo was asked to go to the head table to talk with the main guy in charge about it. He did and that conversation got heated and Bo kind of blew up and was asked to leave. This is what was told to me by a guy I work with that was there because his daughter was playing.

He said people were blowing it way out of proportion before Bo even left the field. He said it wouldn't be any different then any other parent getting pissed at a game except it was BO.

Was Bo coaching or just a fan (parent) in the stands? I have no respect for parents that act this way to the point of being asked to leave.

I am a Bo fan and love his fire, but the A&M situation was over the top. Perlman was wrong to throw Bo under the bus, as that kind of thing should be handled internally. I was more disappointed with how Bo acted in the games following A&M. No fire at all like he was pouting.

Choose to believe it or not, but Bo was very close to leaving the program this off season and had to be talked into staying. He needs to grow up a little, and I think he will. He is a great coach and the type of coach we need at this time. We had lost some of our fire, and it is nice to see it back. Bo just needs to learn to save a few missiles in reserve for when we really need them.

Perlman wasn't loved by whom? I have always thought he was one of our best chancellors. He made a mistake by not firing Pederson sooner, but aside from that he's been a fine leader for the university. We've experienced more growth under Perlman than under any other chancellor. He fixed his mistake with Pederson by hiring Osborne, and he's the guy who got us into the Big Ten. Navigating that minefield into where we are today should forgive any number of sins he's committed, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

I guess you could call it a "Rumor" but I've heard that some boosters weren't happy with the Pederson extension, or the BC one. I've heard it from a couple boards, and an uncle of mine who used to work for the University.

The softball thing did happen and it had to do with an umpire. Bo got in a heated arguement with an umpire about a call made. Bo was asked to go to the head table to talk with the main guy in charge about it. He did and that conversation got heated and Bo kind of blew up and was asked to leave. This is what was told to me by a guy I work with that was there because his daughter was playing.

He said people were blowing it way out of proportion before Bo even left the field. He said it wouldn't be any different then any other parent getting pissed at a game except it was BO.

Was Bo coaching or just a fan (parent) in the stands? I have no respect for parents that act this way to the point of being asked to leave.

I am a Bo fan and love his fire, but the A&M situation was over the top. Perlman was wrong to throw Bo under the bus, as that kind of thing should be handled internally. I was more disappointed with how Bo acted in the games following A&M. No fire at all like he was pouting.

Blame Harvey Perlman.