Dailey/Taylor

Thanks, Robin, for completely writing about the biggest complete waste of time article you could come up with.

I bet when your kid comes home smiling with that 90% on his spelling test, you remind him of two years ago when his brother came home with that same test that mom and dad kicked him out of the house for it.

Who really gives a sh*t??? I am more than willing to compare the coaching staff to what they've done in the past, but I'll be dammed if I'd ever do that to a player.

No one would ever say that the media should hold some responsibility in their releases, especially some rookie wannabe at the DN. But all her crap does is break down a team that looks like they are a helluva lot more unified of a team than run-for-the-Appalachians-Dailey played for.

I had commented after the Tech game that ZT had thrown 6 interceptions, but it was actually 5 (miscalculated a fumble by ZT as a INT).

Now as far as this article, i have a couple of comments. The author said the stats are nearly identical. That's not even half true. 5 interceptions is VERY different then 12 interceptions. That's not even half the interceptions

Advantage: ZT

Also throwing 18 more passes then Joe is also not even close. 18 passes in the old days would have constituted our total passes in 1 game alone.

NU vs Akron: 13 passes

NU vs C. Florida: 15 passes

NU vs Washington: 15 passes

NU vs KSU: 14 Passes.

Etc..you get the picture

So basically, ZT in the old days would have 1 more game up on Joe Dailey, but he doesn't because we have only played 5 games.

His 1,059 yards are only 127 better than Dailey’s five-game total,

Stat is misleading as well, and i will tell you why. Nebraska picked off 10 inteceptions in the first 5 games last year. This years defense has picked off only 6. That's 4 more drives Dailey had to gain yardage on last year compared to ZT. It's impossible to figure out how much yardage Dailey got because you can't pick and choose which drives to use from those 10 interceptions. Some plays went for TD's and 50 yards, some went for no gain by turning it over the next play. So practically, ZT got more yards, even though Joe got 4 more chances last year.

While Dailey did throw seven more interceptions (12) than Taylor (5), at the same time, Dailey’s nine touchdown passes dwarf Taylor’s five
Dailey threw for just 731 yards, three touchdowns and seven interceptions in NU’s final five games

That stat is nuetral at this time, only because the season is not over. We know Dailey's overall stats last year, but we don't know ZT's overall stats since the season is only half over. ZT could easily explode in the final 6 (or 7 or 8) games.

One of the biggest knocks against Dailey was his reluctance at times to take a hit.

Whether under the instruction of his coaches or simply looking out for his personal well being, Dailey showed a tendency on several occasions to run out of bounds to avoid contact and to throw the ball away when pressured – even if it meant taking an intentional grounding penalty.

Wait a second. Let me get this straight. People are saying it's unfair to compare Joe to ZT because of the experiences right? Then explain to me how a QB who was recruited to run the old option offense which means getting pounded play after play by defensive lineman and linebackers is afraid to get hit? So Solich recruited a guy who would have been no use to use basically even under the old system. What did JD think option offense was when he told Frankie in his living room during his recruiting that he would be a Husker?

Also throwing 18 more passes then Joe is also not even close. 18 passes in the old days would have constituted our total passes in 1 game alone.

NU vs Akron: 13 passes

NU vs C. Florida: 15 passes

NU vs Washington: 15 passes

NU vs KSU: 14 Passes.

Etc..you get the picture

So basically, ZT in the old days would have 1 more game up on Joe Dailey, but he doesn't because we have only played 5 games.

Do you really think that its fair to use stats from 9 years ago, from a tean on which neither kid played for comparison??

That stat is nuetral at this time, only because the season is not over. We know Dailey's overall stats last year, but we don't know ZT's overall stats since the season is only half over. ZT could easily explode in the final 6 (or 7 or 8) games.

C'mon, you cant just pick and choose which stats you want to use and the amount of games to prove your point. Their stats are similar to this point, ZT could easily explode, or implode over the final 6 games. The season isnt over, if you want to use season ending stats and make a comparison, so be it. If you want to do it after 5 games so be it. But to say that ZT is ahead in certain categories, but the other is neutral because of lack of games is comparing apples to oranges.

If I wanted to pick and chose stats, I would just say that JD threw for 4 TDs in his first game, and Zac had none, so JD is obviously better. But that wouldnt be a fair comparison.

One of the biggest knocks against Dailey was his reluctance at times to take a hit.

Whether under the instruction of his coaches or simply looking out for his personal well being, Dailey showed a tendency on several occasions to run out of bounds to avoid contact and to throw the ball away when pressured – even if it meant taking an intentional grounding penalty.

Wait a second. Let me get this straight. People are saying it's unfair to compare Joe to ZT because of the experiences right? Then explain to me how a QB who was recruited to run the old option offense which means getting pounded play after play by defensive lineman and linebackers is afraid to get hit? So Solich recruited a guy who would have been no use to use basically even under the old system. What did JD think option offense was when he told Frankie in his living room during his recruiting that he would be a Husker?

I would agree, but some have wondered why JD shied away from hits. Was he scared?? Who knows. I was under the impression that the staff wanted him to stay away from contact as much as possible, due to lack of experience and depth behind JD.

There is a misconception that Joe was here to run the option. He was suppose to be the intital change to a more balance offense. He was not recruited to run the option as the base offense.

He never recovered from the near decapitation, and the shoulder injury did not help. To me he always seemed timid after those two incidents. But I agree some of his desire to take a hit was ordered by the coaching staff. He was all we had period last year. I am beginning to wonder if it is not the same this year.

Personally I would rather let Joe move on. He was a great kid and he did all he was capable of doing. Zac is not living up to what some expected from him, but he is making improvement. Personally I am glad both were on the team. Joe displayed the type of character needed to play the game. But with all the turmoil he had to face it is easy to see why he had problems. This team was a real mess last year, not only the talent and heard, but the coaching was suspect at times.

I would rather we just appreciate what Zac is doing and move forward.

It seems to me that the coaches have put ZT in a better position to succeed than they did with Joe. How many times did we run that beautiful screen pass in the middle of the field last year?? I don't recall seeing it once. Also, I don't recall seeing very many slant routes used last year compared to this year. I felt like we threw the ball deep way too often last year which definitley took away from the strength of this team. Maybe if we threw the short pass better if would have opened things up a little more. I guess it's possible that the slant routes were called and Joe just decided to throw to a linebacker instead, but like I said, I saw a lot more deep routes last season. Honestly, through 3 games this season there were times where I wished Joe could be playing QB. At least he put some points on the board right? But after the ISU game I can see why ZT is playing and Joe is gone.

There is a misconception that Joe was here to run the option. He was suppose to be the intital change to a more balance offense. He was not recruited to run the option as the base offense.

He never recovered from the near decapitation, and the shoulder injury did not help. To me he always seemed timid after those two incidents. But I agree some of his desire to take a hit was ordered by the coaching staff. He was all we had period last year. I am beginning to wonder if it is not the same this year.

Personally I would rather let Joe move on. He was a great kid and he did all he was capable of doing. Zac is not living up to what some expected from him, but he is making improvement. Personally I am glad both were on the team. Joe displayed the type of character needed to play the game. But with all the turmoil he had to face it is easy to see why he had problems. This team was a real mess last year, not only the talent and heard, but the coaching was suspect at times.

I would rather we just appreciate what Zac is doing and move forward.

:yeah

Joe was brought in to run an offense similar to what Penn State is running this year, the spread option. I believe this is similar to what Utah ran last year and what Florida is running now. I'm sure we wouldn't pass as much as Florida, but Joe was brought in to run a different offense than what we had previously. This is what Barney was brought in to implement as well. In the first year with Lord, we didn't get to see much of it because Lord just couldn't get the passes down.

After watching ISU though, it appears as though they are just simply lining up and passing. I know Hicks didn't play against NU, but their running attack was less than stellar. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times. It really doesn't matter what offense is run as long as it's executed correctly. The WCO can be used to maintain possession and keep the time of possession on your side. We didn't do this against ISU, but we did a much better job in the second half against TT.

As far as comparing JD to ZT, I don't know how it's even possible considering the whole team atmosphere last year. It's about like comparing last year's defense to this year's. I think we had more talent on last year's defense, but it's easy to see they weren't nearly as good.

Dailey was a scrambler who could never lead a West Coast offense like Zac Taylor has. I really think Taylor is getting better and better. What a drastic improvement he has made beginning in the Iowa State game. He throws, for the most part, accurate passes and is fun to watch. With the exception of his occassional interception, if his pass is incomplete it is mostly the receivers fault. He could be a great NFL QB someday.

Go Big Red!

Dailey was a scrambler who could never lead a West Coast offense like Zac Taylor has. I really think Taylor is getting better and better. What a drastic improvement he has made beginning in the Iowa State game. He throws, for the most part, accurate passes and is fun to watch. With the exception of his occassional interception, if his pass is incomplete it is mostly the receivers fault. He could be a great NFL QB someday.

Go Big Red!

:dis

I agreed with what you said until you said he'll make a great NFL QB. Do you think ZT is better than Kingsbury, Cumby, or even TT's QB now? None of those guys will ever be great NFL QB's. Being a great NFL QB is a lot more than being an accurate passer. Ty Detmer was an accurate passer, but I don't consider him being a great NFL QB.

I don't think ZT has the arm strength to be a great NFL QB. Also, teams in the NFL are looking for a little more now than just a drop back passer. Vince Young is a QB in the Big 12 that a lot of pro scouts are looking at. He can beat you in many ways, and he's a big guy who can also take some abuse.

I just don't think ZT fits the mold for what NFL teams are looking for!

Do you really think that its fair to use stats from 9 years ago, from a tean on which neither kid played for comparison??

Oh come on former, don't be like that. I am just using the same tactic you use when you compare this team to the infamous 2003 team or even teams of the 90. Why are you allowed to use those kinda comparisons and I'm not? No seriously former, you really don't have any room to talk on this particular point, because if you want to continue to bring up past teams, then it's fair game to use past stats like that. Right???? I am sure you will not disagree

C'mon, you cant just pick and choose which stats you want to use and the amount of games to prove your point. Their stats are similar to this point, ZT could easily explode, or implode over the final 6 games. The season isnt over, if you want to use season ending stats and make a comparison, so be it. If you want to do it after 5 games so be it. But to say that ZT is ahead in certain categories, but the other is neutral because of lack of games is comparing apples to oranges.

If I wanted to pick and chose stats, I would just say that JD threw for 4 TDs in his first game, and Zac had none, so JD is obviously better. But that wouldnt be a fair comparison

Actually i can pick and choose what to compare when it comes to final stats. Logic tells me the season isn't over yet, so i can't compare final stats. Does Joe D have more touchdowns then Zac Taylor does AT THE MOMENT? Abosolutely without a doubt. That is a proven fact. My whole point former is that Zac taylor might be behind Joe D at this moment (in the TD catagory ONLY), but he could easily catch up to Joe D and pass him by a landslide or just keep it close at the LEAST.

I would agree, but some have wondered why JD shied away from hits. Was he scared?? Who knows. I was under the impression that the staff wanted him to stay away from contact as much as possible, due to lack of experience and depth behind JD.

Bill Callahan answered that question for me a long time ago on the Bill Callahan show after the Spring game last year. He said and i quote "Joe Dailey is happy in this offense and told me he's glad he's not going to be hit like he would have in the option he was recruited for"

That told me all i needed to know about Joe Dailey and whether he could take a hit or not. We all know Joe D is no Jammal Lord or Eric Crouch, and 1 hit could have literally knocked him out of playing for a full season, but his fear took over and he threw an interception or threw the ball that caused a grounding, or ran out of bounds. He threw interceptions not because he was only a bad QB, but also because he was scared to get hit when he saw Defensive linemen coming

Last season is still fresh enough in my mind that I can remember Husker Nation's concerns and loathing of Dailey. I definately do not wish to relive it. Comparing Zac to Joe is similar to comparing an 1978 Ford with the tranny going out to a New F150 with a CD player, 4x4, bedliner, and that new car scent. They both can drive 75 mph, they both can carry a heavy load; but you feel much more comfortable that the F150 will get where you need to go without breaking down. Zac (F150) may be similar stat-wise to Joe (debatable), but if one does not feel more comforable with Zac under center, than they missed last season.

Some may say that they always supported Joe, maybe the same way they supported Jammal Lord, but the truth be told, he was not a good QB. He was never relaxed, he had no instinct, he was not a quick as some are saying, he was not that accurate, he made many poor decisions, and he never really seemed to be a good motivator. Does anyone think it would have been possible for Dailey to bring a team back from a 21 point deficit? Or would he of curled up and played dead? Did you see BC putting in Beau Davis to replace Zac at any point during the Texas Tech game?

The differences, between JD and ZT, are apparent, but you need to, in many ways, look beyond the numbers. Go to the next game at Memorial Stadium and you can simply see, hear, and feel the difference.