Fall Camp Storylines are a Freaking JOKE

I am a Husker fan. I also write sports for a newspaper.

And, with that in mind.

I HATE FALL CAMP.

Reporters ask lame questions, repetitive questions and more questions just to be asking questions. There is no news. A ton of coach speak and, when reporters get particularly annoying with their queries, there is the cold dead stare of a coach, followed by a no comment or a shake of the head.

Face it. There is NO NEWS.

Fine, open up the start of some practices or photos and videos, but that should be it.

Let NU's sport information guys put out the injury reports. They won't matter until game week anyway. And shut it with the feature angles. Leave the players alone so they can focus and prepare for the coming season. Leave the coaches alone for the same reason.

In my view, there should be a camp opening press conference....then radio silence until the Monday of game week.

By game week, there would be news. We would know where guys like Starling were playing. We would have a more definite depth chart. Coaches would talk more openly about the progress of players. The features wouldn't be as forced.

We wouldn't have reporters tweeting about injuries before the families of the players involved knew their kid was injured. We wouldn't have reporters asking lame and forced questions because they have to in order to file a story for a non-eventful Tuesday practice.

• Fire 1

And, with that in mind.

I HATE FALL CAMP.

Reporters ask lame questions, repetitive questions and more questions just to be asking questions. There is no news. A ton of coach speak and, when reporters get particularly annoying with their queries, there is the cold dead stare of a coach, followed by a no comment or a shake of the head.

Fine, open up the start of some practices or photos and videos, but that should be it.

Let NU's sport information guys put out the injury reports. They won't matter until game week anyway. And shut it with the feature angles. Leave the players alone so they can focus and prepare for the coming season. Leave the coaches alone for the same reason.

In my view, there should be a camp opening press conference....then radio silence until the Monday of game week.

By game week, there would be news. We would know where guys like Starling were playing. We would have a more definite depth chart. Coaches would talk more openly about the progress of players. The features wouldn't be as forced.

We wouldn't have reporters tweeting about injuries before the families of the players involved knew their kid was injured. We wouldn't have reporters asking lame and forced questions because they have to in order to file a story for a non-eventful Tuesday practice.

This is like when a CNN anchor bemoans all of the sex scandals they are "forced" to cover. If you "write sports for a newspaper" and you don't like writing about fall camp, STOP WRITING ABOUT FALL CAMP. What's the point of coming to a message board and whining about it?

• Fire 2

And, with that in mind.

I HATE FALL CAMP.

I agree.

And, with that in mind.

I HATE FALL CAMP.

I agree.

I agree also..... people are all giddy about seeing the lateral option in the 2 minutes of practice video they see. Well uhhh didnt we see the samething last year in fall camp and how many did we actually run it in game??? thinking.... thinking, nothing comes to mind.

And, with that in mind.

I HATE FALL CAMP.

I agree.

I agree also..... people are all giddy about seeing the lateral option in the 2 minutes of practice video they see. Well uhhh didnt we see the samething last year in fall camp and how many did we actually run it in game??? thinking.... thinking, nothing comes to mind.

I don't remember seeing the lateral option in practice videos at all last year.

Maybe, they dont like you? I mean if they wont talk to you, ya gotta look in the mirror first. That said, most B10 teams are that way. Bo came from the B10 and well he hasnt been your coach for to long. So maybe, you all just dont "read" what he is saying yet. All coaches are different, you all know that. It's more of a what did they say than what they didnt. Knowing the game and your team and your coach helps to kind of read between the lines.

But hey, what do I know.

Let's cut to the chase. We want to see the Huskers win games this fall.

We are waiting for Sept. 2 and nothing will ease the pain of the pain of that wait.

What percentage of us actually care what happens at fall practices? What percentage of the fall camp news actually matters three games into the season?

I really don't care what Jimbo said to Bo about Bubba. Or what Bubba said to Bo. Do you care? Isn't there part of you who wants to see news that Bubba has signed with KC so we can end all this stupid crap already?

It's annoying.

And, outside of major injury, there isn't much to know on a day-to-day basis. We all saw the Saturday post practice video. What part of that did Bo NOT cover in any other preseason talk.

And, straight to the point, I don't write about fall camp. It is pointless drivel.

P.S. I thought it was GREAT when Bo "shut out" the media. The season is over. Bo has to make decisions about the program. He made them on his time table. The media did not need to be consulted.

I think it depends on the quality of the reporter and the quality of the story he/she gets. Most of the stories that come out of the time between winter conditioning and fall camp are various flavors of fluff. Once again we have the tightest-knit team in the history of the program. Once again our key players had massive offseason workouts. Once again everyone is buying in, yack yack blah.

Yet with all that cotton candy swirling around, once in awhile, just once in awhile, something interesting gets reported.

I care because I'll know who number 11 is and where he came from when he's in the game and catches his only pass of the season against Chattanooga.

You know how many friends I have that are Husker converts simply because I can talk to them about a walk-on or why it's so important that we found a home for Eric Martin at DE?

When I'm sitting in the stands and they finally run a FB play action in week 7 and hit him for a TD, I remember them talking about that play 2 weeks before the season started?

I care because I can release all my politics, religion, finances, family, worries, and wonderment into something that takes me back to when I was 3 yrs old and sent shivers down my spine simply by seeing a red N on the side of a helmet.

I care because it's a passionate escape, that once the bowl game is over I can put on the shelf until the first reports out of fall camp start to surface.

• Fire 3