Line thrives on Beck's scheme, more depth

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110813/BIGRED/708139830/-1#line-thrives-on-beck-s-scheme-more-depth

The conversation is so familiar and so old and probably so irritating to him. And now Barney Cotton, a giant man cornered by a glut of reporters peppering him about the depth of his offensive line, has that "look-here" face, the one that sons see from their fathers, typically accompanied by an expletive.

Cotton refrains from the latter in such polite company. But still.

"So much is made of it," the Nebraska assistant coach says, finger and thumb pressed together in emphasis. "But it's 'next man up.' It always has been. And then people say, 'Well, you're not substituting' or whatever. When you've lost two tackles before the season even starts, do the math.

"We talk about depth in the summer and all that. But you know what? You open camp and lose two tackles. Do the math! Our goal is always to play more than five guys. But there are circumstances out of your control."

The injured tackles, at least in 2010, were Mike Smith — who lost the season to a broken leg — and Marcel Jones, who played sparingly because of back trouble. Guard Brandon Thompson flew to Germany to fix a sports hernia. Jesse Coffey got hurt in preseason and was forced out of the sport before ever playing a collegiate down.

Those circumstances meant a redshirt freshman — Jeremiah Sirles — had to start at tackle. And somewhere in the midst of the year, he got hurt. But kept playing. And guard Keith Williams got hurt. But kept playing. He had no proven backup. And center Mike Caputo got hurt, too. But kept playing. He, too, had no proven backup.

And the reckoning of all those unrequited injuries — the math, if you will — was this: 9-6, 23-20 and 19-7. Three Nebraska losses in four games to Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Washington. Just 378 rushing yards combined in those losses on 3.1 yards per carry. Fourteen sacks. Guys on busted wheels and axles, blocking in pain and occasional futility.

I actually liked how the line was playing last year, until injuries set in, and it all fell apart. Injuries are going to happen. Building depth is a priority. It appears to be heading in the right direction, but it seems that way every year at this time. Here's to hoping Cotton shuts a lot of people up this year.

Also, I always enjoy reading Sam's articles, this one has me so pumped for the season to start I can barely stand it anymore!

Cotton is going to be this years Watson for a lot of fans. There is a bit of a difference because often times Watson was disliked by the fans that hated BC, while Cotton was disliked at first by the fans that loved BC.

Now that Watson is gone, Cotton will get pounded on a bit more by most fans if there is bad play.

This was the most telling line from the whole article

"I'm not having to go home and study my playbook like I'm a player," Cotton said. "I get to think about technique and fundamentals and things like that rather than 'Oh my gosh, where do we line up in (odd-man fronts)? I've got to make sure I tell the tackle this.'"

We were running a system and a scheme that not all the coaches had full understanding of...

Oh boo hoo, Barney. Imagine having to know the playbook as an offensive positions coach.

You know, I can kinda understand the line of thinking that sometimes schemes are too complicated for a large team of college players to grasp with the speed needed to run it effectively. When it comes to the coaching staff, if you can't be bothered, that's on you. If it's too tough to understand, that's on you.

Oh boo hoo, Barney. Imagine having to know the playbook as an offensive positions coach.

You know, I can kinda understand the line of thinking that sometimes schemes are too complicated for a large team of college players to grasp with the speed needed to run it effectively. When it comes to the coaching staff, if you can't be bothered, that's on you. If it's too tough to understand, that's on you.

Its not really like that. Ron Brown or Turner Gill was quoted a few years back saying that he was basically one day ahead of his players when it came to the playbook.

This is common, very very common. It is why head coaches like to bring their own staff in that are all on the same page. The biggest issue is usually adjustments on the fly.

I am sure you have noticed that the defense for the most part doesnt have that problem, those guys are all on the same page. I am also sure you have noticed that the offense seemed to have a hard time adjusting over the last 5 years or so, when guys were not on the same page.

I'd agree with that. The offense was definitely not on the same page last year. It was a common criticism of the staff I can't fault: you had guys with different styles and different strengths thrown together, instead of a group of guys all with the same mindset as the DC - which is what Bo has always had here on defense.

What does Turner Gill mean when saying he is one day ahead of the players? Was that in 2004 or something?

You say it is common, but it sounds like a very undesirable common.

I should clarify my comment by saying that I pretty much agree with what people are saying in this thread: now that Watson is gone, Barney is the next man in as far as taking crap if the offense sputters. He's had detractors since he came on board. If the offense sputters again and it's clearly because the line can't offer protection or block, his seat is going to be red hot.

Its not really like that. Ron Brown or Turner Gill was quoted a few years back saying that he was basically one day ahead of his players when it came to the playbook.

This is common, very very common. It is why head coaches like to bring their own staff in that are all on the same page. The biggest issue is usually adjustments on the fly.

I am sure you have noticed that the defense for the most part doesnt have that problem, those guys are all on the same page. I am also sure you have noticed that the offense seemed to have a hard time adjusting over the last 5 years or so, when guys were not on the same page.

I think that was Gill talking about learning BC's offense in year one. But there is no excuse why Cotton is still trying to learn it 3 years later. Not to mention Milt learned the concepts in a matter of days and was asked to come in and find a way to make things easier between Watson's stuff and the new direction Bo wanted to go. Barney just didn't have the time to meet with Milt and have it explained to him because he "already knew everything".

Its a Cotton issue, not a player injury issue, offense "too hard" issue, or I didn't have any help issue. I think those are the three he's given interviews about since spring listing the reasons he can't put it all together. All three should be fixed...if they don't play well this year Cotton need to take a hard look in the mirror, break it and then slit his wrists with it. The guy just isn't much more than an average coach at best and was by far Bo's worst hire from day one.

• Fire 2