Open roster spot

As some of you may have heard, Nebraska QB recruit Bubba Starling has decided to play baseball with the Kansas City Royals.

Coach Bo Pelini had kept a roster spot on the 105 man practice squad open for Bubba had he chose to play ball for the Huskers.

My question, does this spot get awarded to a player not on the 105(Lazarri Middleton, Marcus Mendoza etc.) or is his scholly awarded to a walk on or can it be used in the 2012 recruiting class?

There is also a spot being saved for Charles Jackson, but thats another story.

As some of you may have heard, Nebraska QB recruit Bubba Starling has decided to play baseball with the Kansas City Royals.

Coach Bo Pelini had kept a roster spot on the 105 man practice squad open for Bubba had he chose to play ball for the Huskers.

My question, does this spot get awarded to a player not on the 105(Lazarri Middleton, Marcus Mendoza etc.) or is his scholly awarded to a walk on or can it be used in the 2012 recruiting class?

There is also a spot being saved for Charles Jackson, but thats another story.

Unless Middleton got his school work fixed its not going to be him.

Wow, no suprise here. Thanks bubba for stringing us along for four months or better, your a real stand up kid. I would use it for next year, Or give it to a guy thats gonna be a senior! We need the scholarships for next years class because we are pretty young.

If I remember correctly, Bo said a couple days ago that only 102 or 103 of the 105 was taken up which would leave an additional 1 or 2 along with the spot that was going to belong to Bubba. So we have some options here.

It was 103, one for Bubba and the other for Charles Jackson.

The 105 fall camp roster and the 85 scholarship limit are two different things. Bo can add a player to the 105 roster at anytime, and yes he was saving a spot for Bubba. So, he can add someone to the camp for the rest of the week, or just wait until next week when school starts.

As far as the scholarship that Bubba had, that can be given to a walk-on who is a senior this year, and then it will be free to be used for next year. Who knows what Bo and the rest of the football admin staff will do with that scholly for this year. Also, just because Middleton and Okafor are not on the 105 for camp, it doesn't mean it frees up a scholly, unless those guys are kicked off/asked to leave the team after the season.

Still hard for me to think that M Mendoza is not on the roster. Came in with big numbers from High School, and probably the fastest player in years to wear a Husker uniform. Have heard he can't block, but you would think he can handle kickoffs at least. Would hate to see someone like Turner get hurt or another starting player get banged up returning kicks, when it seems Mendoza would be a good fit for that part of the game. Hes played the game for a long time, and has taken his share of hits. He would know what to expect, playing that position. Does anyone know if its a fumbling problem, with him? Maybe he can't grasp the playbook well enough, but returning kickoffs is pretty straight forward. Its his senior year, would like to see him leave with some good memories of his time in Lincoln.

Anyway my hats off to him for what he has been able to contribute and his sticking it out, with out the playing time he probably expected.

GBR!!!

The 105 fall camp roster and the 85 scholarship limit are two different things. Bo can add a player to the 105 roster at anytime, and yes he was saving a spot for Bubba. So, he can add someone to the camp for the rest of the week, or just wait until next week when school starts.

As far as the scholarship that Bubba had, that can be given to a walk-on who is a senior this year, and then it will be free to be used for next year. Who knows what Bo and the rest of the football admin staff will do with that scholly for this year. Also, just because Middleton and Okafor are not on the 105 for camp, it doesn't mean it frees up a scholly, unless those guys are kicked off/asked to leave the team after the season.

It'll go to Matt May I think (hopefully so anyway that kid is deserving).